box mod kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

fizil

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Norcross, Ga
www.ivape.net
needtoknow, you could use hot glue, but you'd do better off with epoxy. Toothpicks or something to mix the epoxy and something to mix it on you don't mind tossing.
You'll need something like a razor blade to ream out the atty hole. i used a small, narrow pocket knife. Others used a reaming bit that's cone shaped.
Helping hands kinda helped, but another person was more helpful :p

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
I have never tried a mod kit but am interested in checking it out. What else do I need to get this puppy up and running (batteries, chargers etc.) I think I already have an old soidering gun around somewhere and glue gun too.

The standard ready-to-go 2AA box mods from MadVapes require a 14500 battery. Pick up a charger, and a spare battery, and you're in for around $25 for a great fun to build mod. Add $8-9 or so if you need 510 atomizer/cartomizers. You mention soldering gun...find a pen style, something 30 watts or lower. The connections are small and if you overheat the switch you'll melt the internals rendering the switch useless. Personally, I have never used any epoxy or hot glue to fill the mod with or secure the connections as shown on the MadVapes site. A little simple engineering and a few dabs of quality super glue (I use Permatex Ultra Bond) does the trick. My latest boxes are made from the non prepped boxes so I can place the switch further up and the LED on the bottom to fit a 3ml bottle or a spare cartomizer inside the box. For a first timer...get the kit and assemble it. Vape it while engineering your next build since this gets addicting...LOL. Oh, and since there's already a TON of info posted about this particular build in this very thread I suggest you go back to page one and start reading.

MadVapes standard box mod kit tutorial: MadVapes e-Cig 'How To' Tutorials • View topic - 2xAA 3.7 Volt Box Mod

Some day when I have a spare minute I'll post up my custom boxes with bottle/cart/atty storage. Or, if anyone in the Rochester, NY area is coming to the get together on Nov. 13th I'll have them with me...if I make it...which is never a guarantee...but if I do they can take pics and post them since I just don't feel like it at the moment...LOL.

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
The Droid is THAT HARD to use as a camera, huh? LOL

Nah...I have better things to do. Like...juices to make and mods to build and my kid beating me up. Then there's fixing the HVAC lights in the truck and now one in the Buick. Swapping out the summer tires for winter tires on two of the vehicles. Prepping the Harley and Camaro for winter storage. Selling my assembled 510 kits. WTF...outta coffee again, gotta go shopping. Halloween is not just a night of Trick-or-Treating....it's an all night event, and you know what I mean about that...LOL. My B-Day is coming up so it's a full week of people bothering me. Then later this month we have Thanksgiving and my daughter's B-Day. Oh crap....gotta start Christmas shopping. WTH....outta pull-ups already? More shopping. Remember those 18 windows I installed beginning of October? Ya, I'll get around to painting them. Still have my 2nd bathroom to finish as well as a laundry room. And....now I have a meeting to run....LOL

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
So... the Droid IS that hard to use as a camera... got it... Just a sec... I'll tromp into your office, in the middle of the meeting, snap a picture of your box mod and post it before you get the chance to say boo...

JV2.jpg

JV1.jpg

Was that so hard?

Last edited:

fizil

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Norcross, Ga
www.ivape.net
JonnyVapΣ;2115652 said:
First off...I have 8 mega pixels...so there!
If I had 3 hands I could have done exactly that.
Guess I don't have a chance at hand modeling with those mitts either...LOL

Back to my meeting.

You don't have a helping hands thingy?

Zen, I like the tech geek stickers on your box mods :)

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
Zen, I like the tech geek stickers on your box mods :)

You've never seen my box mods... LOL... those are Johnny Vape's box mods... I took the picture of them and posted it because he has a Droid and it's far too complicated for him to post pics... it's MUCH easier with my iPhone... BTW, his office is in the same suite as mine... we both work for the same defense contractor...

fizil

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Norcross, Ga
www.ivape.net
there was some great info to be gathered indeed. I just wish my laziness didn't get me fired up to sound like a tard sometimes. Maybe a redone thread that has all the info gathered from here extracted out? It would be very helpful to get the box mods working sooner for other newbs without the pain and suffering.

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
1x Black 2xAA Battery Box with On/Off Switch
Black horn switch is out so; Horn style switch -- Blue or Horn style switch -- Red or Horn style switch -- Green
1x 510 Battery Connector, Sealed
1x 3mm Slow color changing led..

This literally took me 37 seconds to assemble. Extra bonus; If you order the parts this way it's cheaper (and an awesome total of $6.66). The only additional step is drilling out 3 holes in the box for the LED, switch and connector. Extra extra bonus; If you drill out the holes yourself and use a little thought you can make the box like mine and fit a 3ml bottle or spare cartomizer/atomizer in the box (see post above). I only drilled holes for the connector and switch and used the wire hole on the bottom of the box for the LED.

Last edited:

fizil

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Norcross, Ga
www.ivape.net
I personally like the fast changing leds better than the slow. I like the little light rave at the end.

You could skip the led [comes with the resistor] to save a little coin and another hole to drill if you're not using the wire hole at the bottom [thanks jonnyvape for mentioning that...i've been looking at the hole wondering about that.].

On the flip side,you could make it a stealth vaping box by dropping the atty down into the box right? Speaking of hiding a 3ml bottle...wet box works in 2xAA boxes right? But that might be an ambitious first mod depending on skills.

Another bonus with buying the parts separate: you get a positive tab and negative spring thingy that you can use in other mods you could build from scratch.

Besides the items listed below, what else do I need to add to make these work..... first time so i need all the help I can get..
3mm Fast color changing led.
510 Battery Connector, Sealed
Horn style switch -- Blue
Horn style switch -- Green
Tranparent Blue 2xAA Battery Box with On/Off Switch
Clear 2xAA Battery Box with On/Off Switch, Clear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread