brass mod patina process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimivapr

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2014
Boston
20140309-Beater-Brass.jpg

I like to do it over 2 days with a very light sanding before the second day to give it more depth.

This is just plain bad .... Wow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thanswr

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2013
SW Florida
This Is amazing. I've been wanting to make a steampunk looking mod. I have a full brass nemesis on the way I plan to use your method to patina this thing Almost like you have done. So do you advise one long soak in this mixture or multiple short periods of time like a few hours?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Love that tip. What is it and where did you get it?

Thanks in advance.

James Hart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2010
toms_river.nj.us
www.myselfalone.com
Love that tip. What is it and where did you get it?

Thanks in advance.

Mine? They are both from 1700 Fabricators one is a Sputnik and the other a Weapon. They are the best tips I've used. I've got 2 new ones coming... a Sputnik-M which is a shorter version of the first one I posted.

I've bought all of mine from a guy named Jacob on fb. PM me if you want his contact info.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

thanswr

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2013
SW Florida
Mine? They are both from 1700 Fabricators one is a Sputnik and the other a Weapon. They are the best tips I've used. I've got 2 new ones coming... a Sputnik-M which is a shorter version of the first one I posted.

I've bought all of mine from a guy named Jacob on fb. PM me if you want his contact info.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Thank you. Unfortunately, the photo wasn't in the quote.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
That mod in the op looks amazing.. I'm thinking like a vinegar rub down followed by a Slightly damp sea sponge over to randomly dilute the Vinegar. Much like doing a Faux finish with paint..

I guessing the op mod maker had a lot of experience and trial and error to know how to make it look like that counter top.. Highly skilled because that's almost a perfect match.

Last edited:

BIG CL0UDS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2013
Tampa, FL
This is the result of 2 8 hour ammonia fumes. The first was 50/50 ammonia and vinegar and the second fume was just Ammonia. Both times added Kosher Salt on the tube. Then added 3 coats of Rustoleum clear coat...

This is after it was done and cleaned with acetone and sanded.

This is after a coat of Rustoleum.

Finished Product

Overall I really like the way it came out and it was very easy to do. Be careful with the ammonia though because I am pretty sure I got mild ammonia poisoning from breathing it in and a killer sore throat for a day :)

Mike757

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2014
LA, CA, USA
This was my attempt at patinizing a brass mod (if you look closely, you can tell which mod it is).
irgBbe8.jpg

I used a spray comprised of 2 pts vinegar, 1.5 pts ammonia and salt, sprinkled salt on it, then fumed in ammonia twice. First time was 4 hrs, second time 6 hrs. Finished up with a coat of Briwax paste wax.

Last edited:

Faust1

Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
SoCal
I haven't started playing with brass yet, but I've spent the last 2 weeks experimenting with copper and different processes. I experiment with copper plumbing pipe first to see what different color combos I get. I find that sea salt (non-iodized), kosher salt (also non-I) and regular Morton's table salt all produce varying shades from turquoise to an almost royal blue. I find that vinegar produces a lighter hue, whereas ammonia (non-lemony stuff) produces darker colors.

Furthermore, the preparation of the tube is often overlooked, but for those darker looks with little or no color I have rubbed my hands all over the tube (accidentally) and ended up with an extremely dark aged look as opposed to the colored hues.

Sent from my iNest using tarantula legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread