The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

brass mod patina process?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by just_be, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. jimivapr

jimivapr Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 18, 2014
    Boston
    This is just plain bad .... Wow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. jimivapr

Mar 18, 2014
    Boston
    I'd love to see how this turns out on a $35 piece of Chinese junk!

3. James Hart

James Hart Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    toms_river.nj.us
    You did... mine IS the $35 one from kp. I just got it off eBay for a couple bucks cheaper :)

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

4. jimivapr

Mar 18, 2014
    Boston
    You're good... fantastic!

5. thanswr

thanswr Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 27, 2013
    SW Florida
    Love that tip. What is it and where did you get it?

Thanks in advance.

6. James Hart

Sep 15, 2010
    toms_river.nj.us
    Mine? They are both from 1700 Fabricators one is a Sputnik and the other a Weapon. They are the best tips I've used. I've got 2 new ones coming... a Sputnik-M which is a shorter version of the first one I posted.

I've bought all of mine from a guy named Jacob on fb. PM me if you want his contact info.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

7. thanswr

thanswr Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 27, 2013
    SW Florida
    Thank you. Unfortunately, the photo wasn't in the quote.

8. SourKing

SourKing Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 18, 2014
    Columbus, GA, USA
    Can you do this with SS

9. James Hart

Sep 15, 2010
    toms_river.nj.us
    no, Stainless doesn't patina like brass & copper, Torching is the best way to change its color.

10. JeremyR

JeremyR Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 29, 2012
    Oregon, IL
    That mod in the op looks amazing.. I'm thinking like a vinegar rub down followed by a Slightly damp sea sponge over to randomly dilute the Vinegar. Much like doing a Faux finish with paint..

I guessing the op mod maker had a lot of experience and trial and error to know how to make it look like that counter top.. Highly skilled because that's almost a perfect match.

11. NiburianElf

NiburianElf Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 16, 2013
    United States
  12. asdaq

asdaq Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

What a great resource. With all those choices, which one did you use to get that splendid countertop match?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

13. BIG CL0UDS

BIG CL0UDS Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 2, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    This is the result of 2 8 hour ammonia fumes. The first was 50/50 ammonia and vinegar and the second fume was just Ammonia. Both times added Kosher Salt on the tube. Then added 3 coats of Rustoleum clear coat...

This is after it was done and cleaned with acetone and sanded.
    [​IMG]

This is after a coat of Rustoleum.
    [​IMG]

Finished Product
    [​IMG]

Overall I really like the way it came out and it was very easy to do. Be careful with the ammonia though because I am pretty sure I got mild ammonia poisoning from breathing it in and a killer sore throat for a day :)

14. asdaq

asdaq Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Most excellent effect. How is the rustoleum holding up to handling over time? I'm thinking about getting some Renaissance wax to try on some of my mods.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

15. JeremyR

JeremyR Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 29, 2012
    Oregon, IL
    Big clouds - talk about gods vape.. That looks ancient! Finished product is beautiful

16. BIG CL0UDS

BIG CL0UDS Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 2, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    It's holding up so far but it feels like it will last a while. Only been about a week though. Next time I would probly do lighter coats and maybe do 5-10 coats.

17. Mike757

Mike757 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 4, 2014
    LA, CA, USA
    This was my attempt at patinizing a brass mod (if you look closely, you can tell which mod it is).
    [​IMG]

I used a spray comprised of 2 pts vinegar, 1.5 pts ammonia and salt, sprinkled salt on it, then fumed in ammonia twice. First time was 4 hrs, second time 6 hrs. Finished up with a coat of Briwax paste wax.

18. Faust1

Faust1 Full Member Verified Member

Apr 28, 2014
    SoCal
    I haven't started playing with brass yet, but I've spent the last 2 weeks experimenting with copper and different processes. I experiment with copper plumbing pipe first to see what different color combos I get. I find that sea salt (non-iodized), kosher salt (also non-I) and regular Morton's table salt all produce varying shades from turquoise to an almost royal blue. I find that vinegar produces a lighter hue, whereas ammonia (non-lemony stuff) produces darker colors.

Furthermore, the preparation of the tube is often overlooked, but for those darker looks with little or no color I have rubbed my hands all over the tube (accidentally) and ended up with an extremely dark aged look as opposed to the colored hues.

Sent from my iNest using tarantula legs.

19. mekc57

mekc57 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 27, 2013
    Oregon
    After reading all these posts I decided to give patina a try on my nemesis clone. I like it!
    image.jpg . image.jpg

20. EdensDaddy

EdensDaddy Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 13, 2009
    nicely done! which method did you use?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.