Brilliant spoof of the Durbin Report by Dr. Siegel: Anti-Smoking Groups and Policy Makers Attack Big Pharma for Targeting Kids with Flavored NRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
«A group of Congressmembers today released a report that criticizes pharmaceutical companies for targeting kids with candy-flavored nicotine replacement products. [...] [P]harmaceutical companies are attracting youth by using social media, sponsorship of youth-oriented events, and television and radio advertisements»

http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2014/04/anti-smoking-groups-and-policy-makers.html

I'm sure many of us have used the same rhetorical device in posts critical of the ANTZ position that flavors are intended to attract the chillun; but here it is formalized in a witty and scathing blog post by a prominent member of the tobacco control field.

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
ROTFL !!

I have to admit, I thought the links to pictures of race cars emblazoned with "Nicorette" on their hinder parts was a continuance of the spoof.

But then I googled "nicorette sponsors race cars" and ...wow!

This link for example:
NASCAR Welcomes First Quit-Smoking Sponsor; GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Partners with Target Chip Ganassi... -- re> PITTSBURGH, Jan. 27 /PRNewswire/ --

Nicotine is alive and well. :2cool:

Wonder if Nicorette gum could be considered a gateway to vaping? Vaping sure tastes better.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
Even though there are an almost limitless number of reasons why the "targeting children" thing is a bunch of plainly transparent nonsense, this is one I never hear anyone bring up:

Millions of American teenagers start smoking cigarettes every year. They are apparently not deterred from doing so by the unavailability of non-tobacco flavors. So what possible reason is there to believe they'd be deterred from using e-cigs if non-tobacco flavors didn't exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread