broken gg ody center post

Status
Not open for further replies.

BmoreJeff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Baltimore, MD
hi, just had a stupid question. i was tightening up the center post on my ody today and instead of doing so by hand i decided to put a flat blade screw driver on the end that sticks out the 510 connector and boom, snapped off half of the connector. so to picture it, the end looks like a small hollow tube with a slit in it for a flat blade, so its divided into two halfs, i broke of one of those halfs. when i reassembled it, it still works but seems not to be function properly. it almost feels like im getting "half hits" and not the full ody experience. is this due to the fact i reduced the contact surface the ody uses with the 510 conn in half? i didnt break the connector base just the center post at the end, the part that contacts the mod. i think that im not getting full voltage to the ody now or maybe i just did a bad setup?

I should also add that my ody gets really really hot after about 4-5 drags which has never happened before. i am running a .8 ohm single coil with 3.5mm wick at 3.7v. i have a v1 so this time around i grounded the neg wire by wrapping it around the wick going down the ceramic channel to make contact with the base, is this causing some type of short or something causing the ody to overheat quickly? what would cause the ody to get really hot like it is? the center post isnt touching anything, its just the part that sticks out of the bottom on connector is half gone now since i snapped it

Last edited:

ohnoitsthomas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2012
United States
www.ohnofiasco.com
The set up is hopefully all it is, it would be worth wrapping a new coil to check.

It's very important to make sure that your negative connection is secure and flush with the metal in the channel. Also you can try just firing it with the housing exposed and poking it around a little bit until it fires better.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
that center pin is what sends air to the wick, so if its getting hot after you broke it, could be that the metal when it bent, is now become more narrow and is not getting enough air, hence the heating. There are a couple people selling Ody bits and pieces. If you need a new pin, either the V1 or V2 will work. And if youre in a pinch the center pin for the Terminator will work till you can find an Ody one. Go on the GG forum, there are many nice people that might come to your rescue and send you one. Sorry to hear that. That has never happened to my genuine Ody parts, did happen to the terminator pin as it is plated brass and softer.

BmoreJeff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I just did a new setup this morning before work and it seems to be much better. I built a 1.4 ohm coil and I think that helped reduce the heat issue. Still works with the broken center post. Your supposed to put flat blade on the nut inside of cer housing and hold base of pin to tighten, I did the opposite and held the housing and put flat blade at the bottom of post and snapped of one of the two connection points where it's slotted. Post appears to not be plated brass but I really put some pressure on it. Thanks all for the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread