BSD's vertical hollow core Micro Coil build for ARO, Evod, and Protank heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
Glad to see most of y'all having good success. I use the leg from the top side of the coil for the ground.

Yep, these will keep batteries on their toes. Particularly with the 28ga 13/14 wrap coils. More mass, both wire and wick to heat up, but more than worth it for the flavor these put out.

Got the Santa Claus size box of hemp fiber in this PM, and is in the pot as I type. Poor wife, she's going to come home and think I'm cooking something to eat.:p

Excuse me while I go stir my pot:evil:

mekc57

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Oregon
I've been using these builds for about a week now and have my build technic down pretty good. I was at the local start up vape shop yesterday. I had showed the coils to the guy and had offered to build him one but he hadn't taken me up on the offer yet. So he asked me if he could blow clouds like I was with a coil like that. I made the offer to hook him up and he jumped on it and gave me a used up head he had. I ran home and whipped one up for him. I called him this morning and he said it's working great and he too is blowing clouds.

I see a clinic on vertical coils in my future!

Last edited:

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
Really loving the one I built last night. 11 wrap 28ga Kanthal 1/16"ID. Coil is deeper in the cup, almost touching the positive pin, with a hemp fiber pack. Fairly dense pack, but very loose at the wick holes.

Stopped in a new B&M store, and bought 30mls of Five Pawns Gambit just to say I bought something from them. I'm absolutely destroying this juice with this juice hog. At a buck a ml, I feel my wallet lighten up with every vape. But, dang it, it's good stuff.

flybykite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So I've read this entire thread and I've tried this many times now. First, I did exactly as the OP described and I found that there was too constricted of a draw. Tried, with 28 ga and 32 ga. Next I opened the draw by using 1/16th bit and 12 wraps. Looser draw but lots of flooding and hot juice in my mouth. Fiddled with the cotton to get the right pack in there and trying to make sure the chimney will push on the cotton slightly. Still lots of juice in my mouth but not too much flooding.
Over and over I built this coil looking for the science behind it. Ive tried adding flavor wick to stop the splashing of juice into my mouth, tried less cotton, more cotton, positive wire from top leg and bottom leg, long wicks wrapped around the outside base of the coil etc. All the results seemed quite similar to me. Muted flavor, juice splashing into my mouth and a very finicky build. Maybe I never got it right but I really doubt it will trump dual micro coils in the protank. Much more flavor, vapor, warmer vape (which I like) and much easier build.
Thanks for the tutorial. I'd like to see some video reviews of this coil on a protank if ever someone finds the perfect build for it. I'll still use vertical coils on my RBA's though.

Ta2ooz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Langley B.C. Canada
Really loving the one I built last night. 11 wrap 28ga Kanthal 1/16"ID. Coil is deeper in the cup, almost touching the positive pin, with a hemp fiber pack. Fairly dense pack, but very loose at the wick holes.

Stopped in a new B&M store, and bought 30mls of Five Pawns Gambit just to say I bought something from them. I'm absolutely destroying this juice with this juice hog. At a buck a ml, I feel my wallet lighten up with every vape. But, dang it, it's good stuff.
I too have fallen victim to Gambit. I freaking love that stuff and I really don't want to. I do not have a pretentious bone in my body and this juice caters to that at this price. Oh well it's great and that's all I can say. Damn.

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
I too have fallen victim to Gambit. I freaking love that stuff and I really don't want to. I do not have a pretentious bone in my body and this juice caters to that at this price. Oh well it's great and that's all I can say. Damn.

What's worse, is now I can pick this juice up when I stop for coffee at the QT on the way home. Oh well, never batted an eye dropping $45 for a carton of Marlboro's every other day.

Had to go ahead and build a matching coil for some Boba's Bounty just so I could put it down a while. Pretty awesome in it's own right.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
I built one of these verticals for my pro tank 2 last night. Like 14 wraps 28ga kanthal, came out to 1.8 ohms. Packed in some organic cotton ball fiber. Primed it, fired it up. Get lots of vapor, very little flavor.

No flooding so far... seems to wick ok. Just muted the flavor of the juice?

I had to trim the rubber grommet in order to get the tall vertical coil in there. Used the bottom leg as positive... the wrap was on a precision screw driver which is maybe just a hair thinner than a 1/16th drill bit.

Are you guys who are using cotton, and have successfully done this vertical coil getting flavor? Or have I done something wrong?

Sent using my typewriter

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Are you guys who are using cotton, and have successfully done this vertical coil getting flavor? Or have I done something wrong?
I've tried it with a 28ga, .050" ID, 8/9 wrap at 1.3Ω on a air port drilled EVOD and cotton. As a point of reference, it's better than a standard EVOD (or anything else the uses that coil head), but not as good as an Ikenvape fit carto tank... or any RBA.

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
I built one of these verticals for my pro tank 2 last night. Like 14 wraps 28ga kanthal, came out to 1.8 ohms. Packed in some organic cotton ball fiber. Primed it, fired it up. Get lots of vapor, very little flavor.

No flooding so far... seems to wick ok. Just muted the flavor of the juice?

I had to trim the rubber grommet in order to get the tall vertical coil in there. Used the bottom leg as positive... the wrap was on a precision screw driver which is maybe just a hair thinner than a 1/16th drill bit.

Sent using my typewriter

Hard to say why you have lack of flavor. Intense flavor when working properly is the best part of this build.

I do run some 28ga over 1/16" coils, but I get the best flavor with the smaller diameter 18ga ID with 30ga Nichrome set up. I find the slightly tighter draw seems to produce a more saturated vape. Though this may vary depending on juice and vaping style. I don't do lung hits, so YMMV.

Flavor is the reason I put up this thread. When I finally got the first one put together just right, the flavor just wowed me. As good or better than anything I have used, and I've used about all of them. Carto's are not even the same league. I have boxes of Ikenvape carto's gathering dust, along with DID clones, AGA, DCC's etc. RBA's depending on the build are right there, and gets more into the realm of preference and portability and such. Dripping is great, but I simply vape to much on the go and don't have the patience anyway.

I do prefer the larger 1/16" ID coil for my coil killer juices, particularly Boba's Bounty since crud build up begins to restrict the coil opening quicker necessitating a dry burn, and re-wicking sooner.

How many watts are you pushing? 14 wrap 28ga coil along with the larger wick tends to need more voltage than a similar resistance coil/wick with less mass.

nostinkies

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Kayfun Nirvana!
Screw this I give up. I've tried 3 times and all I can taste is burnt rubber. My bottle of water even tastes like burnt rubber. I WAS having really good luck with my protanks, but lets face it, you cant polish a TURD. Even my standard PT coil rebuilds with 6 wraps of 32g and P&C are starting to suck and taste like rubber to me. Maybe it's time to dump the juice and wash out the tanks with vodka and refill with other coil builds. I'm now on a mission now to find a 91% and stop this goofy micro BS. Trying to keep this thing from leaking, shorting and burning is a royal P.I.T.A! The problem is these poorly designed mass produced dinky joke coil holders. When all else fails, throw more money at the problem. (2 bucks and my left nut says the PT3 will be just as problematic at the rest of these. And I will not be giving kanger any more money!) Maybe a carto tank might be a better solution for me until I can get a 91%.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
Hard to say why you have lack of flavor. Intense flavor when working properly is the best part of this build.

I do run some 28ga over 1/16" coils, but I get the best flavor with the smaller diameter 18ga ID with 30ga Nichrome set up. I find the slightly tighter draw seems to produce a more saturated vape. Though this may vary depending on juice and vaping style. I don't do lung hits, so YMMV.

Flavor is the reason I put up this thread. When I finally got the first one put together just right, the flavor just wowed me. As good or better than anything I have used, and I've used about all of them. Carto's are not even the same league. I have boxes of Ikenvape carto's gathering dust, along with DID clones, AGA, DCC's etc. RBA's depending on the build are right there, and gets more into the realm of preference and portability and such. Dripping is great, but I simply vape to much on the go and don't have the patience anyway.

I do prefer the larger 1/16" ID coil for my coil killer juices, particularly Boba's Bounty since crud build up begins to restrict the coil opening quicker necessitating a dry burn, and re-wicking sooner.

How many watts are you pushing? 14 wrap 28ga coil along with the larger wick tends to need more voltage than a similar resistance coil/wick with less mass.

I ran it on my evic first, maxed out 11 watts, forgot the voltage...then switched to volts and hit it with 5v .

Either way works. The vapor is there, it's the flavor that's missing. Used the same juice in a couple tanks for testing just this. Artisan vapor juice which is a decent juice.

The PT2 had not flooded, gurgled, or dry hit. Draw is better than horizontal coil for sure. Just very little flavor.

I packed it around the coil with organic cotton ball, pulled apart and firmly stuffed all the edges, tried to use 1 long fiber piece but that didn't work the way I'd hoped. So it's 1 then a couple small ones for back up. But I've looked and there's saturation in the coil chamber for sure. And it's delivering vapor.

I dunno. This was my first attempt at vertical. It was easier for me than building the horizontal ones in this tiny space honestly.

Makes me wonder if it's possible to do dual coils like the aspire?

Sent using my typewriter

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
You guys burning rubber. There are two things that can cause this. One, and most likely is the coil wraps are not all in good contact which creates a hot leg. If the coil isn't glowing evenly from the inside out on a test fire, it needs to be redone. The other is a poor electrical connection. Meaning the coil contact point/points are for whatever reason not making good contact to the positive or negative points creating resistance there. This is less likely with 28ga or 30ga wire.

Trimming back the end of the grommet just a bit helps as well. The coil itself can not burn the grommet since the saturated filler is between the coil and the grommet.

ratchet62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2013
USA
How do you dry burn this type of coil it being so close to the rubber?

Trimming the rubber would help in not getting a rubber burnt taste?

I trimmed the rubber shorter. Unpack my cotton wicking, and dry burn in very short pulses, allowing a little cool off time between pulses to reduce heat build up.

No burned rubber taste. I also inspect the rubber during rebuild, and replaced if it starts looking brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread