• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Bug out bag

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to try and create a bug out bag checklist. I am going to break each post into basic categories and provide links to different items. Some items are what I personally use, some are there just to show examples of items and some are just wish list links.

The categories will be:

1. The Bag
2. Water
3. Fire
4. Shelter
5. Food/Prep
6. Clothing
7. First Aid
8. Tools
9. Lighting
10. Communication
11. Protection/Defense
12. Navigation
13. Information
14. Hygiene
15. Misc

Some categories are a no brainer, but I added them so they could be on the check list.

I am going to start with #1, The BOB itself.

BUG OUT BAG

The first thing you need to decide is what you are going to use for your bag. There are plenty of choices here, from surplus military bags to hiking packs to a plain old duffle bag. Keep in mind, the bigger the bag, the chances of overloading it and creating a bag that will be harder to carry, but its better to have too much room, vs not enough.

When I was shopping for my bag, I had a checklist of features that I wanted.

Hydration compatible
Lots of pockets and compartments for organization
Molle Style with lots of Molle straps to add other bags
Waist belt and sternum strap for comfort
Well made with good zippers, double stitching etc

After I made my checklist of features I wanted in a bag, the search began. What I ended up buying was this: Black Tactical Large Assault Transport Pack Backpack - eBay (item 250793541713 end time Mar-26-11 18:28:19 PDT)

The pack is kind of large (20" x 20" x 12" or 4800 sq inches). The bag has a hydration pouch that also doubles as a laptop pouch or will hold 2- 3L bladders.

In addition to this pack, I also added: BLACK MOLLE RECON .... PACK FOR TACTICAL VEST OR BELT - eBay (item 190510635702 end time Apr-08-11 17:28:43 PDT)
The extra bag adds more compartments to help organize as well as adding 1800 sq inches to the total carrying capacity of my pack. This is also one of 2 attached bags that I will carry the basics in in case I have to ditch the main sack.

I also bought another pack that is made to fit on the bottom straps of the main pack: MOLLE Tactical .... PACK - BLACK new - eBay (item 190461234185 end time Apr-24-11 18:01:46 PDT)
This is basically just a one compartment pouch that I plan on using to hold the Hammock, once I get it. The pouch adds another 500 sq inches of storage.

Those are the bags and pouches I have at the moment. I have plans to add the following:

Canteen/stove holder (extra 100 sq inches) This is going to be bag 2 of 2 that I will remove and carry in case I have to lose the main pack: MAXPEDITION Black M-4 WAISTPACK Pocket Pouch Bag! 0313B - eBay (item 290548477370 end time Apr-01-11 19:25:27 PDT)

Gas Mask Bag (extra 283.5 sq inches): Condor MA11 Modular Gas Mask Pouch MOLLE Carrier Black - eBay (item 120691200975 end time Mar-29-11 20:30:12 PDT)

Once I get all the bags, they will all attach to the main pack and give me a total of 7483.5 sq inches of storage. If I have to ditch the main pack, the multi compartment buttpack and M-4 waistpack will give me 1900 sq inches of storage. These are the 2 packs I will be packing my "must have" items in.

This is just an example of the bag I use. There are plenty of other options, some bigger, some smaller. The idea is to get a bag you are comfortable with.

WATER

The next category is water. With the bag I selected, I have the ability to carry up to 6L of water. In addition to the bladders, I decided that I should also carry a canteen, just in case I ever have to leave my pack behind. I posted in the first post about the M-4 waistpack I will be adding to my pack. The reason I went with this pack, is because it will hold a military style canteen, cook stove and cup that all rest together and doesnt take up much space. It also will store a lid for the cup, that doubles as a signal mirror and also helps to boil water quicker.

In addition to the stove and cup to boil your water, you can also get a filter system, an emergency straw or water purification tablets.

Canteen Gear

5 Military - Style 3l Water Bladders, Military Surplus, Brand Not Specified, Hydration Blater Blader Water Bottle Pack Storage Bladder Reservoir Anti-Microbial at Sportsman's Guide

Survival Straw - Complete Water Purification System

MiniWorks® EX Microfilter (Camping & Outdoor Equipment / Water Bottles, Washing, Purification and Storage / MSR Products / MSR Water Treatment)

Amazon.com: Water Purification Tablets: Sports & Outdoors

Also to this category I add drink mixes, coffee and tea all of which will help hide the taste of the water, especially if you use the purification tablets.

FIRE

Next is fire. You need to have several ways to start a fire. The obvious choice here are disposable lighters but eventually they run out of fuel and if they get wet, they dont work. They are good for short term use, but in your kit, you need to have a real fire starter kit.

Also included in this category is tinder. Always having something with your kit that stays dry and is easy to light.

GERBER Bear Grylls Survival FIRE STARTER 31-000699 New! | eBay

Fire Starter with Flint and Magnesium Survival Kit - eBay (item 120656895283 end time Apr-04-11 21:31:38 PDT)

The Survivalist Fire Piston - eBay (item 260758349406 end time Mar-31-11 23:29:26 PDT)

These need fuel to work, but if they are out of fuel, they still put out a decent spark 10 Super Match Box Refillable cigarette Lighter Gadget | eBay

YouTube - Bushcraft Project : How To Make "Char Cloth"

YouTube - Weekend Project: Fire Piston

YouTube - Paracord bow drill fire

SHELTER

There are lots of ways to have shelter. You can build a shelter with just stuff you find outdoors or you can plan ahead and already have shelter with you.

From basic tents, to high tech hammocks, to surplus ponchos, there are many ways you can create shelter. My wish list includes a Hennessey Hammock, but until I break down and get one, I will have to have other options. Be sure to look at sleeping bags and wool blankets as well.

EXPLORER DELUXE ASYM ZIP

HALO Recon 3 Sleeping Bag -5*C Mil Spec Tactical BLACK - eBay (item 330543168007 end time Mar-27-11 03:00:30 PDT)

Buy Used Military Wool Blankets at Army Surplus World

Military Ponchos

Poncho Liner (Clothing / Rain Gear)

Space All-Weather Blanket at REI.com

PARACHUTE CORD PARACORD 550 7 STRAND 100 FT US MADE Black - eBay (item 350423123521 end time Apr-14-11 10:25:06 PDT)

Also look into a good canvas tarp. Add a couple of those large heavy duty garbage bags as well. They take up no room, weight nothing and can be used for shelter as well as rain gear.

Last edited:
FOOD/PREP

Food packed in a BOB is going to run out quickly. I try to keep at least 5 days of food in my pack in case I am not bugging out from danger, but evacuating in an emergency. I include canned meats like tuna and Spam, instant oatmeal, energy and cereal bars etc. The more you can carry the better, but dont weigh yourself down trying to carry all you need.

You will also need a way to prepare your food, especially once you are out of ready made rations and are catching your own. The basic military stove/cooking cup that I listed up in the water section is fine for smaller meals but you might want to consider getting a mess kit as well.

ATAFA.com: Stansport STAINLESS STEEL MESS KIT

MSR Dragonfly Stove | Multi Fuel Stoves

N.A.T.O. Style Chow Set (2 Pack)

Original Military Issue P-38 & P-51 Can Openers 1 Ea. - eBay (item 150575531380 end time Apr-09-11 19:24:39 PDT)

Also, if packing a disaster bag, be sure to pack food for any animals that are going with you.

Last edited:
CLOTHING

Depending on where you live, will determine what you pack. For me, besides the basics, I make sure I have extra socks, a lightweight jacket, rain gear, a military style poncho and my insulated one piece hunting suit. I also have gloves and a couple hats along with my black cowboy hat, which I consider a must have. I also have a good pair of leather linemans boots which I had heavy duty zippers installed on the inseams for easy on/off.

FIRST AID

You need to have a good first aid kit. Eventually, in long term buggin out, you will run out of stuff in your kit, and you will have to rely on natural remedies, but when packing your BOB, pack a good kit.

Besides the basics, you will want to add chapstick, super glue, prescribed meds, and I also add a bottle of liquor.

299pc Large First Aid Kit - Zipper Case/ 40 page Guide | eBay

TOOLS

Your main tool is going to be your knife and it will be used on a daily basis. There is no perfect knife for everyone, but all good survival knives have the same basics. Full tang construction is a must. A fixed blade, in my opinion is better than a folding knife, but a folding knife is better than nothing. Stay away from those cheap "survival" hollow handled knives. They are for show and will not last a day of hard use. I always pack at least one back up knife. A way to sharpen your knife is a must as well.

Other tools to consider, but not a must:

Camping axe
Folding shovel
Multi-tool
Survival saw
Work gloves
Machete
Gas Mask for Z-Day Buggin out

I also include my fishing kit in the tool category.

Last edited:
LIGHTING

This category I consider a luxury. Do you need light to survive? No. Is it nice to have? Yup!

I keep a couple flashlights on my pack. One is a hand crank style that doesnt need any batteries. I have a couple of those black, super bright LED lights that use the cr123's and 18650 bateries. There is also a solar powered flashlight that charges during the day.

I stay away from glow sticks, road flares and most candles. I have been looking into Tallow candles, which are made from vegetable fats that also double as a food source, but not sold on the idea yet.

Also look into solar chargers for your batteries.

MXDL 3W Luxeon LED CR123A Flashlight Lamp Torch light - eBay (item 150580735600 end time Mar-28-11 19:31:28 PDT)

CREE R5 LED 600 Lumen Tactical Flashlight Torch Light - eBay (item 270680160412 end time Apr-13-11 02:18:26 PDT)

HQRP USB mini USB Power Solar Charger Built-in Battery - eBay (item 350430730431 end time Apr-12-11 10:03:15 PDT)

SteriPEN Solar Charger with CR123 Rechargable Batteries - eBay (item 110425066779 end time Apr-08-11 14:55:02 PDT)

3 LED Hand Crank Flashlight With Phone Charger - eBay (item 300434173703 end time Mar-30-11 19:16:29 PDT)

2 x Tallow Candles Edible Survival Food Camping Light - eBay (item 110666685521 end time Apr-25-11 06:50:13 PDT)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Solar-Power...7150141?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item43a5f5ad3d

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solar-Hybrid-Fl...1269174?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item3362398636

Last edited:
COMMUNICATION

Depending on the situation, cell phones may or may not work. Of course, in the beginning, keep one on you until they just dont work any more.

For my hunting pack, I have 2 way radios. These are good when you leave camp and go hunting/fishing/gathering and want to stay in contact with others. You will need a way to charge the batteries.

If its a natural disaster, having an emergency radio is a good choice too. These are usually hand cranked, have a built in flashlight and also have weather channels.

Of course, you should also have a pad of paper and a pencil, a signal mirror and whistle.

NEW KAITO KA500 SOLAR CRANK EMERGENCY RADIO AC ADAP - eBay (item 280635386580 end time Mar-26-11 16:58:24 PDT)

SEAL WATERPROOF TEAR RESISTANT PAPER NOTE PAD 100 COUNT - eBay (item 370493785455 end time Apr-16-11 14:25:10 PDT)

UNBREAKABLE MIRROR Outdoors Military Survival 4.5" X 3" - eBay (item 110553223230 end time Mar-26-11 12:01:40 PDT)

ULTIMATE SURVIVAL MULTI TOOL KIT FLINT+ RULER+ WHISTLE - eBay (item 220757140570 end time Mar-26-11 13:47:27 PDT)

PROTECTION/DEFENSE

This is where most go crazy. AR15's, SKS's, shotguns, handguns...the list just keeps on going.

If SHTF, assault guns will be used in home defense. Once I have to get mobile, theres no way I can carry all of them plus ammo. So in my BOB, I have a 22 revolver with 2 cylinders. I also plan on taking my Ruger 10/22. My worry is more for food than defense. The 22 will be plenty powerful enough and I can carry lots of ammo with minimum weight.

I do plan on trying to bring the 12 ga along for the first leg of the journey, and all will be packed into the Dodge. Hopefully I don't have to leave it behind.

I also have a shoulder rig with the twin 45's that will be carried, but will only use them in an emergency. On the shoulder rig I can carry 6 full magazines, which at the moment is 82 rounds. If I change the 2 10 rounders out for 13 rounders and add the Pearce grip extensions, I can carry 92 rounds.

Anyways, MY plan and what I plan on carrying in the bag is the 22 revolver along with the Ruger strapped to the pack. MOLLE-251 - ModGear Shotgun Scabbard 29" Long Black Bottom Grommet for Drainage Removable Retention Strap

I will of course have my knife, machete and ax to use as defense as well.

Choose wisely and carry all the ammo you can. If you are bugging out in an urban environment, you can use your AR15 to gather all the supplies you need, once disaster strikes.

NAVIGATION

This category needs to be broken down in two categories:

Natural Disaster/hiking and hunting- You are going to want a compass, maps of the area you will be in, possibly a GPS.

Z-day- who needs a compass or a map? Where you going? obviously your home has been invaded cause you left it behind. Are you really going to travel across country to try and find a safe location?

Seriously, as far as navigation goes, all you really need is a decent compass, maps of the area if you can get them, and a decent sense of direction.

INFORMATION

Again, 2 categories are needed:

For natural disasters where you are evacuating your home, but hopefully plan to return, make sure you pack you ID, permit for your weapons, any important papers you wouldnt or couldnt replace such as deeds, titles and pictures. Just the basic stuff to prove who you are, and prove whats yours.

For long term survival, you wont NEED any of this. Maybe 1 picture of loved ones, and a pamphlet or 2 on the edible plants in your area. This category is more for Disaster Bags vs Bugging Out Bags.

HYGIENE

If disaster strikes, the 2 showers a day are going to be just a fond memory. Obviously you want to pack the basic hygiene stuff like toothbrush and toothpaste, soap, toilet paper, hand sanitizer etc but this stuff is going to run out quickly. Its good to have enough stuff packed for disasters where you wont be out of the house for extended periods, but long term survival, get ready to be dirty.

MISCELLANEOUS

Duct tape
Paracord
Sew Kit w/nylon thread
Extra batteries if possible
E cig stuff
Cigarettes- either to smoke or to barter
Ear plugs- especially if you are going to a shelter with lots of others
Liquor- again to drink or barter
Snare wire
Checklist of supplies you carry

That about does it for my contributions. Feel free to add to the list in any categories, as I am sure I missed something.

Again, this is not an end all be all list of must haves, but just a sample of what can be carried. Your bag should reflect the stuff you think you need to survive. Dont try to carry everything on the list without the help of a pack mule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread