Buidling a Kayfun

Status
Not open for further replies.

dherrington

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Houston, TX
Hi. I wondered if any of you had some tips for me. I just got a kayfun 3.1. It's my first rba.

The biggest problem I am having is keeping the wire under the screws on the deck. They keep slipping out. It took me an hour to make my last build. Is there a trick to getting the wire to stay under the screws? I have tried putting a little hook on it and even then it slips out. I don't have much trouble wicking it nor making the coils.

But this is getting frustrating doing the screws over and over. And inevitably, a couple of times I have loosened the screws too much and they have fallen out. Then I have to spend 10 minutes trying to get those tiny screws back into their proper hole. It's a miracle I haven't lost one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Doug

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I think the issue is the roundness of the screw bottom. I guess certain clones or even non clones use a screw type that isn't kind of flat on the bottom edge, so when tightened the wire slips out. I know its not the same on all types of small screws because this is not an issue on other devices where the screw heads are the same size. I would try to find a more flatter screw or it maybe possible to flatten out yours by possible sanding somehow the bottoms. I use an angle grinder at work for my business and I know this could work but if you don't have one im not sure what else could. maybe a small washer under the screw? although the washer might work it maybe hard to find.

petemoss

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
Queens, NY
I had the same problem with my Fastech Kayfun 3.1 ES. On mine there are holes on the side of the posts where you can insert your coil leads and then finger tighten the round bottom screws. So even though the post screws have slotted heads, they aren't designed to be tightened with a screw driver, which could cut right through the wires. What I ended up doing was swapping out the round screws for flat screws from spare parts for another Kayfun. If you contact the seller, he may send you replacement coil screws free or offer to sell you the flat screws in a kit with spare screws and o-rings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread