[BUILD] UD AGI Hybrid RBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

redspeed6

Sep 12, 2013
Tx
Hey everyone. Built another setup this morning, seen alot of posts about the UD AGI Hybrid, and thought I share my experience with it.

I have had it about a month now, and read about the issues and problems, so thought I do my own modification to it, and so far I have been very pleased with with vapor and taste from it.

Here it goes... I know I'm sure to edit this many times, so bare with me.

I am by no means an expert...

I know there have been issues with the 'hot spring' on this rba, and its to prevent overvoltage/current due to sub-ohm builds. Its nice and all, but no everyone likes builds over 1.0ohm, and I typically build my coils at .6-.9 and this being my first rba, I wasn't taking any chances of the spring going south on me.

Always double check your DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter). Do this by touching the + and - leads together while in the ohm setting, and remember that reading you get. My reading is .2, so whatever I measure for resistance, I will subtract .2 and that will be my true ohm reading for the entire build.

I took a .... splice connector, 22-18ga (pink) and removed the heat shrink from it.

Cut it to size, and crimped it on the bottom post of the lower 510 connector.

Assemble your RBA, and then lets check the resistance now that we have modified the center post.

Remember the .2 ohm check from earlier? Well I still have .2 ohms when I check from the bottom of the 510 connection to the positive post of the RBA once its assembled, which means, I have zero resistance between the bottom 510 connection to the top of the RBA, perfect!

Now, this will be my first build over 1 ohm, so if you build sub-ohm coils, be safe, make sure you check your battery and use ohms law to determine your your amp draw on your battery and make sure your not going over the rated output of your battery. BE SAFE!!! I am not to be held responsible if you damage your mod or blow your hand off because you didn't check and play it safe... js

Now, with that out of the way, I did 5 wraps, using 30ga kanthal and this is my coil resistance.

I have 1.6ohms starting from the top of the positive post, thru the coil and to the negative screw. Take away .2 from the ohm check earlier, and I have a 1.4ohm coil.

Time for your wick, in this case, I used silica inside SS 400 mesh, wicks nicely and no hot spots.

Hope this helps, enjoy, Vape On and be safe!!

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
Thanks for this info. Where do I get a .... splice connector? I usually test my resistance using the 510 connection (i.e. red to the center post, black to the threads), I guess it is the same thing huh?

I'm using just a single 3 mm silica wick (not a u-wick), this is because I've got a bunch of it, and I don't have a torch (just a lighter) so am not sure I can oxidize my mesh properly. Also have cotton on hand.

And of course, welcome to ECF.

Last edited:

redspeed6

Sep 12, 2013
Tx
Thanks for the great welcome guys, I have been here, lurking for a few months now, just now starting to post and get more active as my time permits.

This was a good thought, I bought some copper wire from Wally World and shaved it down to fit into the coil. It was about 1/8th of an inch. Fixed the issue and hits like a champp now

I was going to do the copper wire as well, but did want to really take the time to shave it down and make it fit in the spring. Glad its working better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread