• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Build your ideal vendor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
What would your ideal vendor be? What would they have in stock? Take the best of all the vendors you've dealt with and put it all under one roof. What would that vendor look like? Let's keep it to being on line for now since a physical presence (B&M) would have its own set of problems to deal with.

For me, that perfect vendor would have a good selection of ejuice as well as a decent selection of hardware. In addition, spare parts would be a must (like spare heads, rebuildable items for the rba folks, etc.). Even things like o-rings would be a nice touch for a vendor to have.

Last edited:

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
What would your ideal vendor be? What would they have in stock? Take the best of all the vendors you've dealt with and put it all under one roof. What would that vendor look like? Let's keep it to being on line for now since a physical presence (B&M) would have its own set of problems to deal with.

For me, that perfect vendor would have a good selection of ejuice as well as a decent selection of hardware. In addition, spare parts would be a must (like spare heads, rebuildable items for the RBA folks, etc.). Even things like o-rings would be a nice touch for a vendor to have.

1 - Ships to APO... AND they state clearly on their shipping FAQ that they do so, so I don't have to try to figure it out, or spend time emailing to ask.

2 - Large selection of different juices, perhaps with agreements to resell popular vendor's products along with their own brand

3 - Loyalty program

4 - Spare/rebuildable parts, like you said

5 - perhaps a weekly deal (or 4-5 day deal) that they co-ordinate with various vendors/manufacturers to offer specials, for example: a different manufacturer a week tosses up a signature item (either a battery/mod, a topper, their juice, a special kit), with a slight discount, all orders placed get filled, period. From low end clones to high end mechs/APV's, RBA's/RDA's to simple carto's, readyvape juices to bulk DIY supplies.

6 - Options to buy low volume producers of specialty gear (like vape gear stands, or containers to carry your gear), or other accessories

7- Keeps the dang cartomizer/atomizer boxes that sell for $20 a pop IN STOCK all the time, and also sells the tankometers and other testing gear, so you can buy it in one stop

8 - Great customer service. Able to buy something and pay for it, and then if it's out of stock at the time, your paid for order gets filled first. No trying to play email tag just to find out what you wanted is again out of stock.

9 - Probably more things I can't think of this moment.

Eileithia

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2011
Cambridge, ON, CANADA
I'm a product manager for two of the largest consumer electronics product lines in the country at the 2nd largest distributor in the country. While some of the ideas above are excellent, I'll point out why it's just not possible in the current canadian landscape.

At the moment, every canadian supplier is basically a small business. While this offers a lot of variety for suppliers, it also has the secondary effect of none of these suppliers having enough liquid assets to be able to support having everything in stock all the time when you want to order.

Although it would be extremely handy if there were some sort of distribution network, or someone with enough liquid assets to support a large scale operation, the relatively small size of the industry compared to say consumer electronics means there isn't enough overall revenue to support this level of inventory/service.

Holding inventory costs money. It's basically the same cost as borrowing money which is in the range of 0.02% per day. This assumes your supplier has an excellent credit rating, otherwise the cost is MUCH higher. The longer the inventory sits on the shelves the more money/profit is lost. This means most of these smaller vendors will tend to keep only their top skus in stock at all times (depending on their overall size). As most of these vendors are using 3rd party web-based software to manage their inventory, overall inventory management is poor. Until vendors start using back-end software to support a more advanced supply chain (which takes either programming and supply chain knowledge, or large out-of-pocket expense) they cannot realistically manage a high volume of individual parts with any efficiency. Few vendors even take backorders for this very reason, they simply list the product as "out of stock" with the option to notify the buyer when it's back in stock.

To my knowledge there is no "centralized" canadian distributor for e-cig supplies thanks to our lovely Health Canada and their fear mongering. If the product was relatively accepted by the government I would be shocked if large scale consumer electronic distributors didn't want to pick up a product line with such a high Y/Y growth. This means every vendor is buying direct from a number of different manufacturers. They are either paying for ALL of this product up front, or are able to get some sort of credit terms with these manufacturers. If they are buying on terms with all of their suppliers they either need an extremely good credit rating, or need to keep inventory as low as possible while keeping their inventory turns high to avoid damaging their credit rating.

Now, couple all of the above with potential shipping delays from China, and product seizures from our customs dept, and it's basically impossible to have that "god" vendor that sells every model of every device with everything in stock all the time. Hardware, you're looking at potentially 500-1000SKUs by the time you include all accessories/options, and that's just looking at the big manufacturers. Add in the Mod makers and the sky's the limit. E-liquid gets even worse when you have at least 20 different canadian "manufacturers", and probably close to 200 in the US, each with a variety ranging from 20-100 different flavours / strengths / mix ratio, AND this product has a shelf life.

Now with all of that said, we have some truly excellent vendors in Canada considering the daunting task of managing a technology that is literally changing by the day. I feel for all of you and the financial risks you need to take to keep your customers happy. Sadly until this product gets some positive recognition by our own government, I don't see this changing any time soon.

SASmith

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
Abbotsford, B.C. Canada
This one is easy for me.

If Jugheads carried Canvapes hardware or Canvape carried Juggies juice, it would be the ideal vendor for me. As those 2 sites have everything I need and have been very good to me so far.

Same for me with the addition of Maple Leaf Vapes ( they carry my favorite juice)!

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
The Perfect Vendor?

- Do away with all the knockoff/low-end crap.
If i wanted garbage, there is a convenience store around every corner.

- quality start up kits (eGo's, 510's, 808's...)
for the new guys, or those of us not into mods

- mods & rebuildables
for us tinkering folk, first note applies to this

- a decent variety of juice from varying manufacturers
first note applies to this too

- a knowledgeable staff that can assist us on the products sold
I'm not teaching you how to make a coil, only to tell me that you(the vendor) purchased the last 3 units on the shelf, while i was making YOUR coil

we need to support our own quality vendors so that they can keep doing their job.
It takes money and support to be able to keep a business going.

I support vendors on how i am treated, even if they dont offer what i use, as these will be the faces that will help determine the long-term outcome of e-cigs within Canada.

ronjamesmajor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2013
Hanna, Alberta Canada
Cut the junk out of Canvape's line up.
Add in the good stuff from East Side Vapes.

And really the biggest thing that I'm looking for, since I have most of my own hardware sorted out by this point, is a juice vendor in Canada, much like MLV, who can consistently deliver the quality and customer service that I get from companies like Greenman in the states.

I don't know how to describe it, and I may be entirely biased here but it seems like 99% of all Canadian juices are flat tasting compared to some of the American "premium" companies.

I'd also like to see Canadian vendors bringing in some serious contenders in the mod world. High end mechs, resales of Lavatubes and Provaris. Partnerships with vendors.

ChrisUp2Late

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2013
Victoria, BC
Excellent summary of the current situation here in the Great White North!

And all the more reason to support brick & mortar Canadian vendors.

I'm a product manager for two of the largest consumer electronics product lines in the country at the 2nd largest distributor in the country. While some of the ideas above are excellent, I'll point out why it's just not possible in the current canadian landscape.

At the moment, every canadian supplier is basically a small business. While this offers a lot of variety for suppliers, it also has the secondary effect of none of these suppliers having enough liquid assets to be able to support having everything in stock all the time when you want to order.

Although it would be extremely handy if there were some sort of distribution network, or someone with enough liquid assets to support a large scale operation, the relatively small size of the industry compared to say consumer electronics means there isn't enough overall revenue to support this level of inventory/service.

Holding inventory costs money. It's basically the same cost as borrowing money which is in the range of 0.02% per day. This assumes your supplier has an excellent credit rating, otherwise the cost is MUCH higher. The longer the inventory sits on the shelves the more money/profit is lost. This means most of these smaller vendors will tend to keep only their top skus in stock at all times (depending on their overall size). As most of these vendors are using 3rd party web-based software to manage their inventory, overall inventory management is poor. Until vendors start using back-end software to support a more advanced supply chain (which takes either programming and supply chain knowledge, or large out-of-pocket expense) they cannot realistically manage a high volume of individual parts with any efficiency. Few vendors even take backorders for this very reason, they simply list the product as "out of stock" with the option to notify the buyer when it's back in stock.

To my knowledge there is no "centralized" canadian distributor for e-cig supplies thanks to our lovely Health Canada and their fear mongering. If the product was relatively accepted by the government I would be shocked if large scale consumer electronic distributors didn't want to pick up a product line with such a high Y/Y growth. This means every vendor is buying direct from a number of different manufacturers. They are either paying for ALL of this product up front, or are able to get some sort of credit terms with these manufacturers. If they are buying on terms with all of their suppliers they either need an extremely good credit rating, or need to keep inventory as low as possible while keeping their inventory turns high to avoid damaging their credit rating.

Now, couple all of the above with potential shipping delays from China, and product seizures from our customs dept, and it's basically impossible to have that "god" vendor that sells every model of every device with everything in stock all the time. Hardware, you're looking at potentially 500-1000SKUs by the time you include all accessories/options, and that's just looking at the big manufacturers. Add in the Mod makers and the sky's the limit. E-liquid gets even worse when you have at least 20 different canadian "manufacturers", and probably close to 200 in the US, each with a variety ranging from 20-100 different flavours / strengths / mix ratio, AND this product has a shelf life.

Now with all of that said, we have some truly excellent vendors in Canada considering the daunting task of managing a technology that is literally changing by the day. I feel for all of you and the financial risks you need to take to keep your customers happy. Sadly until this product gets some positive recognition by our own government, I don't see this changing any time soon.

ronjamesmajor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2013
Hanna, Alberta Canada
FT Does really have free shipping but their arrival times are spotty at best. I've got a V3 vamo that came from FT and it sent through Singapore, and Singapore Post...all told it took about 26 days to arrive. My K100 from FT took 15 days but that shipped directly from the Shenzhen (sp?) district. Some people are promoting as little as six day arrival time, but I personally can't see it to Canada. Also watch out for shipping options with DHL. It costs me around 18 dollars for customs fees every time DHL delivers something.

Kagey K

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Canada
Cut the junk out of Canvape's line up.
Add in the good stuff from East Side Vapes.

And really the biggest thing that I'm looking for, since I have most of my own hardware sorted out by this point, is a juice vendor in Canada, much like MLV, who can consistently deliver the quality and customer service that I get from companies like Greenman in the states.

I don't know how to describe it, and I may be entirely biased here but it seems like 99% of all Canadian juices are flat tasting compared to some of the American "premium" companies.

I'd also like to see Canadian vendors bringing in some serious contenders in the mod world. High end mechs, resales of Lavatubes and Provaris. Partnerships with vendors.

I have to ask what do you consider to be junk at Canvape? Seems to me like they have a bunch of stuff to please everyone and the more the merrier. They seem to have a line that goes from starters to hardcore.

Jugheads is the best as far as juice is concerned, and has exceptional customer service, his hours are tough, but if you are dedicated enough you will get what you need.

All American juices I had leave me with a bump in my throat and make me want to gag, his are nice and smooth, but this is a Dumaurier/Player vs Camel/Marl argument I think.

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Jugheads is the best as far as juice is concerned, and has exceptional customer service, his hours are tough, but if you are dedicated enough you will get what you need.

You can have the best juice in all the world, but if I can't order it when my schedule allows ME to order it, it's not great customer service. In fact, it's not service at all. And honestly, people shouldn't have to put up with that kind of service. Why they do is mind boggling. Would you put up with that kind of behavior from a store you shop regularly at? Of course not. Why should online vendors be allowed to get away with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread