Status
Not open for further replies.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Still waiting for my DNA40 boards but I decided to rip apart a perfectly working Hana mini clone. I left the up and down buttons and just snipped the wires so I just need to solder to the buttons. I thought of this after messing up the fire button.

It's not pretty but it works.
DSC_2303_zps3aea530d.jpg

I had to shave a bit off the corners at the bottom for a better fit.
DSC_2304_zps6bd7a6a3.jpg

Surprisingly, there's a decent amount of room to work with. My initial fitment looked like there wouldn't be enough room for the wires but there is. I might just solder the wires in.
DSC_2302_zps00fba587.jpg

And I couldn't just leave that crappy screw adjustable 510 so I threw on a VT 510. Same as my others, it's off by a hair but still pretty good.
DSC_2305_zps31105d4a.jpg

Hopefully, I'll have my DNA40 boards by the end of the month.

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Still waiting for my DNA40 boards but I decided to rip apart a perfectly working Hana mini clone...
Hopefully, I'll have my DNA40 boards by the end of the month.

I'm anxiously awaiting my DNA40 board too...I wish I'd ordered more though. I've decided to build a dual 18650 wood mod for my first foray into building. My box, thread forming screws, wiring, 510 connector, drill bits and taps, and contact plates for my battery tray are in. I'm now waiting on the DNA40 and on Shapeways for my dna mount and customized battery tray.

I'm using this box specifically: Cherry Full Top Inlay | Snap-Lid Wooden Box | Heartwood Creations

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
I'm anxiously awaiting my DNA40 board too...I wish I'd ordered more though. I've decided to build a dual 18650 wood mod for my first foray into building. My box, thread forming screws, wiring, 510 connector, drill bits and taps, and contact plates for my battery tray are in. I'm now waiting on the DNA40 and on Shapeways for my DNA mount and customized battery tray.

I'm using this box specifically: Cherry Full Top Inlay | Snap-Lid Wooden Box | Heartwood Creations

I got 4, 2 big screen, 2 small screen. I was only going to buy 2 but I received an insurance check refund so I splurged :D.

That's a big box. I have 2 Cloupor Hana clones and this FT mini ready for install. I'm not sure where the last big screen will go into but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
That's a big box..

It's actually not that big (4.0 x 2.0 x 1.25)...remember that it's a dual 18650. It certainly is bigger than an rDNA40, but it is somewhat comparable in size to a Sigelei 100w (4.06 x 2.24 x .91). The rounded corners fit nicely in the hand and with this https://www.shapeways.com/product/VD6FTT826/interior-mount-3mm-with-usb?optionId=38453618&li=ostatus I will use most of the side section width of the bottom portion since the plate will be side mounted (and painted with metallic paint). I ordered the polished nickel steel buttons as well.

Last edited:

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Does that box really have the interior space for two 18650s? The walls look pretty thick in the picture. I couldn't get any detailed pages to come up.
They are much nicer wood boxes than I could ever make. I am just worried about the interior space.

Interior dimensions are approximately 3.45 x 1.625 x .9 inches. A Keystone 1048 dual sled is 3.034 (with solder tabs cut off) x 1.566 x .58 inches. I will however be using this: https://www.shapeways.com/product/PBWYBF9AC/dual-18650-holder-for-1550p?optionId=40673617&li=ostatus which is 2.91 x 1.457 x .635 and should allow for a bit more room for the DNA board/mount. The side of the battery holder with the low profile should allow for a bit more clearance if the DNA holder protrudes a bit farther than I like once the DNA40 and mounts are installed. If not I can mill the opposite side wall a bit to generate some additional clearance.

No stock box is going to be perfect and I expected to have to dremel/mill it a bit. I will need to thin out the wall for the DNA holder to 3mm (but only to the extent necessary to get the mount positioned...I won't be grinding down the whole wall since I want the slide rails intact). I also will probably take off about .5mm on the perimeter of the DNA holder. If milling the side wall for the mount is a challenge, I can always opt for the exterior mount holder option: https://www.shapeways.com/product/N...nt-with-usb?li=user-profile&optionId=38453457

Since the manufacturer is sold out, I ordered two of these boxes (in case I screw one up) from here: http://sattvagallery.com/collection...her-heartwood-creations-magnetic-snap-lid-box and they arrived in two days.

Last edited:

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
There is space for two 18650 but you would need to mill the upper wall where the 510 connector and then I'm not sure you have space to fit the 510 connector...

Regards
Tony

Sent from my phone through a keyboard or something like that

Correct, there will need to be some minor milling but that is only due to wall thickness....I won't need to remove a huge amount, only enough to ensure enough threads are exposed on the 510 to screw it down. I have a VT 510 and a Fat Daddy low profile V4. I like the looks of the VT better, but the FD has more threads....I'll decide which one I use once I have all of the parts in hand. The interior height at its shortest is approximately 3.45 inches. The battery holder I'm using is 2.911 inches, so the clearance is there to position the 510 anywhere on top.

I am also adding a few more magnets to secure the lid a bit better. The stock magnets are fine for the box's intended purpose, but there is slight movement in a vertical orientation. I think I'll only need to add one each on the top corners of the box and lid.

Last edited:

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Interior dimensions are approximately 3.45 x 1.625 x .9 inches. A Keystone 1048 dual sled is 3.034 (with solder tabs cut off) x 1.566 x .58 inches. I will however be using this: https://www.shapeways.com/product/PBWYBF9AC/dual-18650-holder-for-1550p?optionId=40673617&li=ostatus which is 2.91 x 1.457 x .635 and should allow for a bit more room for the DNA board/mount. The side of the battery holder with the low profile should allow for a bit more clearance if the DNA holder protrudes a bit farther than I like once the DNA40 and mounts are installed. If not I can mill the opposite side wall a bit to generate some additional clearance.

No stock box is going to be perfect and I expected to have to dremel/mill it a bit. I will need to thin out the wall for the DNA holder to 3mm (but only to the extent necessary to get the mount positioned...I won't be grinding down the whole wall since I want the slide rails intact). I also will probably take off about .5mm on the perimeter of the DNA holder. If milling the side wall for the mount is a challenge, I can always opt for the exterior mount holder option: https://www.shapeways.com/product/N...nt-with-usb?li=user-profile&optionId=38453457

Since the manufacturer is sold out, I ordered two of these boxes (in case I screw one up) from here: Mike Fisher - Heartwood Creations - Magnetic Snap-Lid Box | SattvaGallery.com and they arrived in two days.

Correct, there will need to be some minor milling but that is only due to wall thickness....I won't need to remove a huge amount, only enough to ensure enough threads are exposed on the 510 to screw it down. I have a VT 510 and a Fat Daddy low profile V4. I like the looks of the VT better, but the FD has more threads....I'll decide which one I use once I have all of the parts in hand. The interior height at its shortest is approximately 3.45 inches. The battery holder I'm using is 2.911 inches, so the clearance is there to position the 510 anywhere on top.

I am also adding a few more magnets to secure the lid a bit better. The stock magnets are fine for the box's intended purpose, but there is slight movement in a vertical orientation. I think I'll only need to add one each on the top corners of the box and lid.

You should put more thought into it :p

Can't wait to see the finished product. :toast:

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Well my dna 40 board is going back Monday and today I ordered another ft mini (this time in grey). I also ordered a M9x0.75 tap last week.

I guess you guys already know what I'm planning to do once I get my chip back... :)

Financially wise this is going to be more expensive than a rdna but I don't care. For me it's about the fun modding a box and really having a mod that you assembled yourself.

This time NO ONE is going to touch the enclose EVER. If I screw up the enclose, at least it will be my own fault.

KTM rider: how deep did you mill that upper part? I went in pretty aggressively and managed to leave just a 1.5mm wall on the top which gave me over 4mm slack after inserting the battery. I even managed to put a cone shaped spring on one side but it broke because of my hundred attempts to get the positive side right.

This time I have another idea but if it fails, I'll have no problem just soldering the battery in. 2500mah give me a whole day vape, I just need to make sure I charge it at night.

If I succeed, I will do the same BUT if something happens (like my kids pulling the USB charger during the night) then I won't need to carry a charger all day around (like today) as I will be able to swap the battery in 10 seconds

Regards
Tony

Last edited:

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I never knew how to actually spell grey... Or gray... Need to lookup my dictionary some day :)

With my new idea for the battery connection, I'm predicting I'll need at least an extra of 3 to 4mm or I won't be able to slide the battery in place without running into problems on the positive side of the battery which I plan installing inverted like last time.

I will still use a ground wire to the board but, as previously, I will use the milled portion of the enclosure to give me extra ground. You can't have enough ground (which makes up 50% of the issues seen on the dna 40)

I'm also planning replacing that screw next to the 510 connector with a copper one and solder the OUT terminal on it.

My method to line up the screen worked great so I keep with it but the charging port has to be secured differently. The hot glue worked but it isn't inspiring any confidence even though it hasn't failed yet (and I poured a lot of hot glue in that spot.

I'm also ordering a few 3mm x 1.5mm magnets to make the lid easily removable but will try it out first on my old enclosure.

Regards
Tony

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Grey, gray. Tomato, tomatoe. :shrug:

I was thinking about soldering wires to my battery and use the same micro deans plug but lay it on the electronics side. It won't fit on the battery side, I checked. I'll also have to glue some sponge or something to secure the battery so it doesn't rattle. There's an indent for the small screen so I'll just go with the small screen for the mini. I have plans to put a large screen in my blue Cloupor Hana box and I might put the other large screen in my Cloupor Mini.

DSC_2298_zpsa7ffc6ab.jpg

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
You should put more thought into it :p

Can't wait to see the finished product. :toast:

I hope to have all parts by the week of the 23rd....assuming our DNA40s ship before then. I will be taking a few weeks off from work for the birth of our fifth child (beginning 2/19), so I plan on building this out by the end of the month. Shapeways is stating production should be finished by 2/17.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
I hope to have all parts by the week of the 23rd....assuming our DNA40s ship before then. I will be taking a few weeks off from work for the birth of our fifth child (beginning 2/19), so I plan on building this out by the end of the month. Shapeways is stating production should be finished by 2/17.

All I got from this was "fifth child."

Congrats!!! And holy cow!!!! One of my sisters has 4 kids and that's almost a basketball team (but 3 girls and a boy).

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
All I got from this was "fifth child."

Congrats!!! And holy cow!!!! One of my sisters has 4 kids and that's almost a basketball team (but 3 girls and a boy).

Thanks! We have 1 girl (7 yrs.) and 3 boys (5, 4, & 2) now...we are expecting another little girl. We thought we were done at 4, but three days out from my scheduled procedure with Dr. Snip I confided in my wife that I wanted another one...and the rest we shall say is history. :)

This may be our last since I'm not getting any younger (46) and I don't want to be too feeble to spend time with the kids. Plus, my wife is 32 and I want to make sure the kids are grown by the time I kick the bucket so she doesn't have to raise them on her own.:)

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Update:

My faulty board has arrived at my vendor. He will send me a new one this week.
In the meanwhile, I have a new ft mini hana coming (not here yet) and also a tap for the 510.

As a last minute surprise, I ordered a 1A micro USB charger board. The Evolv one is just so slow at 500ma.
It should be much better for on board charging those samsung 25R I have coming too :D

I'll keep you posted ;)

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread