Building An RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronald Bryant

Apr 17, 2019
Nashua
Hello all, I have a pressing question. I have been vaping for about 8 yrs now but I have JUST started building the rta's. I have three of them right now but I am having a problem. Here is the situation, one of the devices I have is the Vandy Vape Revolver. It is a single coil device. I have a (SS) -0.34 hom coil in it. I am using it in TEMP mode. The problem is that when I try to fire it up to see how the coil is heating up, I keep getting a "TEMP PROTECTION" error and the device shuts off. I have tried using it between 200 deg. F up to 350 deg. F. I have no idea why this is happening. Can anyone please give me some advice? I would truly appreciate any help at all. Hope I have given enough information here so you can understand what I mean. Thank you

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Are you trying to dry burn your coil while in temp mode? I’m a mech guy with not a lot of experience with temp control but it would seem to me in order to dry burn you would need to use a bypass or wattage mode. A dry burned coil will heat up much higher than whatever temp you have it set to.

I’m sure someone with more experience with temp control will chime in, I could be off base here.

And, welcome to the forum!

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
dry burn is done in wattage mode, try to start at 25-30W, raising 5 by 5 or so, you just need to make'em glow and find "hotspots" make'em glow evenly, the more, the better, just remember, they should start glowing from center to sides,

Ti or titanium shouldn't be dry fired just in case,

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
dry burn is done in wattage mode, try to start at 25-30W, raising 5 by 5 or so, you just need to make'em glow and find "hotspots" make'em glow evenly, the more, the better, just remember, they should start glowing from center to sides,

Ti or titanium shouldn't be dry fired just in case,
^^^^
yep.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hello all, I have a pressing question. I have been vaping for about 8 yrs now but I have JUST started building the rta's. I have three of them right now but I am having a problem. Here is the situation, one of the devices I have is the Vandy Vape Revolver. It is a single coil device. I have a (SS) -0.34 hom coil in it. I am using it in TEMP mode. The problem is that when I try to fire it up to see how the coil is heating up, I keep getting a "TEMP PROTECTION" error and the device shuts off. I have tried using it between 200 deg. F up to 350 deg. F. I have no idea why this is happening. Can anyone please give me some advice? I would truly appreciate any help at all. Hope I have given enough information here so you can understand what I mean. Thank you
You have posted in the new members forum, you are limited to the number of post in this forum.
re: New Members - "How many posts do I need to..."
In the future, you might want to post (repost?) in the ECF forum most closely representing your question. Suggest posting in the Vandy Vape forum:
Vandy Vape
Often times,you may receive more knowledgeable/germane information from the membership in the above/appropriate forum.

• Agree
Reactions: Diver9543

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.

It sounds like your device or a setting in the mod... let me explain temp control as brief as possible.

Temp control works by measuring the resistance change as the coil heats up. To use this setting, you need to establish a "base room temperature" for the coil. As you vape, the temperature of the coil changes, as well as the resistance of the coil. If you set the base temperature while you were dry firing the coil, then the readings will be off, and it will think it's hotter even if the coil is room temperature.

Without knowing your mod, I do not know how to set the base temperature. Most devices will notice it's a new coil when you first put an atomizer on it. This is when the coil has to be room temperature.. not still warm from dry firing. Some mods, you have to manually go in and set the base temperature. Again, room temperature.

hope this helps.

Reactions: Diver9543

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
You can't dry fire in TC mode. The coil will never get hot enough. You need to put it in wattage mode. That said, many people don't dry fire SS as it will permanently discolor the wire. Spaced coils are recommended for TC and they shouldn't need to be dry fired anyway. Dry firing is needed for contact coils to make sure they are heating evenly. Spaced coils heat evenly (for the most part) by default. You can dry fire at very low wattage for cleaning the coil but with SS I wouldn't try to make it glow.

As previously mentioned, titanium (Ti) should NEVER be dry burned. Nor should nickel (Ni) coils.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello Ronald Bryant, don't dry burn SS if you're using it in TC mode. It'll mess up the TCR due to tempering the wire and altering its crystalline structure.

For cleaning wire for TC.
I use a small glass jar with a lid, filled with some Isopropyl Alcohol. Just soak them in it and it'll get rid of any machine oil and let them air dry.

Also, when using TC you need to use spaced coils. Translation, the wraps of the coil should not touch each other. There needs to be a gap between them.

Reactions: tokarev

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
You can dry burn ss in wattage mode just don't glow red/white hot. Gentle pulsing to a dull glow gets the job done. You can then give the coil a rinse under the tap if needed, then another gentle dry burn to remove the water. I seldom fool with the rinse off, most of my juices aren't gunkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread