Building coils with prebuid coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Hmmm, 2 X 0.36ohm coils in parallel should be closer to 0.18ohms +/- 0.03ohms, 0.29 total reading there is a loose connection. Basic coil building, for every equal parallel coil you add to a circuit the resistance should be divided by that number of coils (1.0 ohm single = 1.0ohm, 1.0ohm X 2 coils = 0.5ohm, 1.0ohm X 3 coils = 0.33ohm, 1.0ohm X 4 coils = 0.25ohm) or number of wires in the coils. For watts, there is no silver bullet watts setting depending on the resistance of a coil, just a guideline to use.

1) Prime the coil and wicking properly
2) Set the watts low, with your coil build I'd start about 30 to 40watts depending on gauge of wire used
3) Take a few puffs off the device, not enough bump up the watts about 5 to 10 watts, rinse and repeat as needed until you reach nirvana flavor and vapor production
4) Moment you get a dry scratchy hit, bump it down a step or two, this will be the sweet spot for that juice and coil setup
5) Moment you get a scorched harsh hit, tear out the wicking and replace, you've burnt the wicking, start at step 1 again.

Sarmad

Jul 6, 2017
Hmmm, 2 X 0.36ohm coils in parallel should be closer to 0.18ohms +/- 0.03ohms, 0.29 total reading there is a loose connection. Basic coil building, for every equal parallel coil you add to a circuit the resistance should be divided by that number of coils (1.0 ohm single = 1.0ohm, 1.0ohm X 2 coils = 0.5ohm, 1.0ohm X 3 coils = 0.33ohm, 1.0ohm X 4 coils = 0.25ohm) or number of wires in the coils. For watts, there is no silver bullet watts setting depending on the resistance of a coil, just a guideline to use.

1) Prime the coil and wicking properly
2) Set the watts low, with your coil build I'd start about 30 to 40watts depending on gauge of wire used
3) Take a few puffs off the device, not enough bump up the watts about 5 to 10 watts, rinse and repeat as needed until you reach nirvana flavor and vapor production
4) Moment you get a dry scratchy hit, bump it down a step or two, this will be the sweet spot for that juice and coil setup
5) Moment you get a scorched harsh hit, tear out the wicking and replace, you've burnt the wicking, start at step 1 again.
After your comments i change my coils again and this time I make sure that there is now loose connection... but it still the same 0.29 ohms

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
I think u r right... can u plss tell me what range of whats shoul i use for 0.29 parallel ohms...
Hard to say without knowing AWG , wire type and wraps etc but I'd say start low and work up as instructed by IMFire. No one can say what watts are good for you but you. If 30w is to high lower it but that should be a good starting point unless its 28+ AWG nichrome or something.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hello... i am new to vape i have rx 2/3 with lg hb2 batteries and smok cloud beast tank... i build a coil using two 0.36 ohms twisted coils... it shows me total 0.29 ohms... can someone explain me this and give advise for watts range plsss
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might take your equipment to the local B&M Vape shop. They should have the expertise and equipment to verify/measure all areas of interest.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I get different readings from all the different vaporizer I have and then the resistance tester gives me a different reading. I've gotten to the point where I check the resistance of a tank that works and take the resistance in that vaporizer and use that as a reference. Someday I'll look around and find a few 1 ohm resistors to use as a standard.

Sarmad

Jul 6, 2017
I get different readings from all the different vaporizer I have and then the resistance tester gives me a different reading. I've gotten to the point where I check the resistance of a tank that works and take the resistance in that vaporizer and use that as a reference. Someday I'll look around and find a few 1 ohm resistors to use as a standard.
And what is that point????

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
The smoke is ok but i didnt feel any flavour...
Keep going up, some flavours need more heat to really kick in. If you go to high the juice or cotton will burn. Just replace the cotton... some cotton can take a tank full to really kick in too and don't call it smoke, by definition it is smoke but because it don't burn anything we call it vapor. Sounds healthier I guess lol.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
Sarmad,
My apologies I put that in referring to problems I was having trying to get a coil build going. Dealing with your problem it seems you have a short or the coils your using are not correct. You could try getting the resistance of each coil to find out which one is at fault. I'm always using temp mode and with a few older vaporizers the input resistance is related to the set temp vs the actual temp of the coil

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Sarmad,
My apologies I put that in referring to problems I was having trying to get a coil build going. Dealing with your problem it seems you have a short or the coils your using are not correct. You could try getting the resistance of each coil to find out which one is at fault. I'm always using temp mode and with a few older vaporizers the input resistance is related to the set temp vs the actual temp of the coil
We figured the .36 ohm rating on the prefab coils was rated for two coils not each. Cutting legs off and +/- 0.03 ohm would bring it to .29 ohm.

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
.29 try 45w and go up 1w at the time until you reach your desired vape.
I run a dual coil RDA @.30 55W
Ohms tells you nothing about a coil. Wire type, Awg, wraps and ID, the things the determine ohms, determine heat flux per watt. We don't know any of these things but yeah I'd try 35, 40, 45 etc.

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
Ohms tells you nothing about a coil. Wire type, Awg, wraps and ID, the things the determine ohms, determine heat flux per watt. We don't know any of these things but yeah I'd try 35, 40, 45 etc.
Fancy coils are a PITA! Take longer to ramp up.
More info on the type of wire used would help too.
I use plain ole 24 or 26 gauge kanthal :)

Reactions: IMFire3605

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
This is the build I use on my Coppervape :)
24g kanthal 2.5mm id 5 wraps .30
IMG_20170709_112419_111.JPG

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Fancy coils are a PITA! Take longer to ramp up.
More info on the type of wire used would help too.
I use plain ole 24 or 26 gauge kanthal :)
Gotta love the CopperVape BF mod. I'm not a fan of fancy coils either but I'm not into blowing huge clouds. The slight flavour increase just isnt a big enough trade off for all that juice consumption, battery life and the cost of the coils. I'm a broke vaper though lol. Friend gave me a fused clapton and took way more power to dry burn it then I normally vape at. Drain my battery just dry burning all the gunk built up from sweetner lol.

Reactions: Kprthevapr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread