burned taste clearomizer, is it ruined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

telegraph

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
TN, USA
I am using Kanger M3 (808) clearos and kanger e-smart clearos, and this happened with both. I read somewhere here that any clearo can be cleaned and dry burned, as long as you can see the coil.
So I rinsed out well with warm water, let them dry out, and dry burned until I could see the coil burning red. Then I filled clearos, and get burned taste.
This has happened with some but not all of the clearos.
Am I doing something wrong, or perhaps these are not meant to be cleaned? Neither have replaceable heads.
Thanks in advance!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Clean them up again. No need to dry burn at this point as they should be fairly clean already. Fill and shake well with hot water or Vodka.

When you fill these you may need to take several dry/primer puffs - NO POWER to draw liquid into the wick. Burnt taste is one of two issues.
To much power.
To little liquid in wick.

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
Fill and shake well with hot water or Vodka.

Great advice but I need to emphasize the vodka treatment. Mine get disassembled as far as I can take them apart (without power tools anyway!), any excess juice is rinsed off under hot tap water and then they get a bath in vodka, sometimes over night. Just put them in a coffee cup or something, fill with vodka above the height of the parts and put away to soak. I grab the cup about once an hour, put the palm of my hand over the top and give them a brisk shake for a few seconds. Let them soak for at least a few hours like this. You can rinse the vodka off them or not... I've done it both ways. The important thing if you are washing them with vodka is that they are COMPLETELY dry before you put power to them! I have a tupperware container full of dry rice. I take the parts out and gently towel dry them the best I can and then loosely wrap them in a few paper towels and finally stuff them in the covered container with the rice for a few hours. The rice will soak up any left over moisture very efficiently... this works sometimes for cell phones that have had an accidental encounter with water too!

Re-assemble and fill with juice. The dry (unpowered!) primer puffs are one advantage of bottom coils like the kangers... you might taste the juice a bit even without power. Let set a couple of minutes so the wick can fully saturate.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thanks much. Actually these both seem to be topcoil.
If I understand correctly, if you use the vodka, you do not have to dry burn?
Also, can isopropyl alcohol be substituted for the vodka?

If they are top coil, then they are not T3s (maybe T2?).

Vodka (or PGA or 91% ISO) soak can dissolve some, but not all gunk from your coil. If you use ISO, rinse out with plenty of water and let it dry completely.

Dry burning is the only way to restore the coil to its original state, but you need to rinse off the ash from the coil afterwards--if you don't do this, your clearo will taste burnt.

telegraph

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
TN, USA
Thanks again.
I just noticed (on M3) that a small part of the wicks, where they come out of the atomizer, on either side of the coil, are a bit blackened. Any hope for them or can the burned taste still be gotten rid of?
The e-smart clearos are neither T2 nor T3, but something fairly new from kanger.
I only have 70% isopropanal, so I'll have to wait til Monday to get the vodka - will any cheap vodka be ok?
Here in TN, beer is sold after noon on Sundays, but no liquor at all on Sundays. Go figure.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thanks again.
I just noticed (on M3) that a small part of the wicks, where they come out of the atomizer, on either side of the coil, are a bit blackened. Any hope for them or can the burned taste still be gotten rid of?
The e-smart clearos are neither T2 nor T3, but something fairly new from kanger.
I only have 70% isopropanal, so I'll have to wait til Monday to get the vodka - will any cheap vodka be ok?
Here in TN, beer is sold after noon on Sundays, but no liquor at all on Sundays. Go figure.

70% ISO is fine, 91% is better--both are better than vodka--strength wise. But vodka is an healthier alternative. The cheaper and the stronger the better. Can you get PGA (Everclear) in your state? That would be the best.

Wicks are burn-proof, they are made out of silica rope. You can take a torch or a lighter to them and burn off the gunk--they will turn white again. Wanna see?

I love this video! :D

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Wow, that is an amazing video, very cool. Unfortunately, these wicks can't be exposed to a blowtorch.
No everclear here. I'll try the isopropyl on a couple and see what happens.
Are some wicks made from cotton or anything else than silica?

Not commercially made wicks. But our brave modders do experiment with cotton, hemp, stainless steel mesh and other materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread