Burning carto's bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

elothen

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2012
Ft. Worth
So, I seem to have an issue with burning up my carto's in short order on my EGO Twist. By short I mean a day or 2 every time. At first I thought it was just that I have a crappy tank with plastic end caps but then I got some of the C.C.V. 1.7 resurrector carto's and they do the same thing on me. For my tank I use boge drilled SR carto's which I run between 4.4v and 4.8v. For the 1.7 resurrector I run between 3.6v and 3.8v. The resurrector I'm on now has NEVER been above 3.8v I swear it! I regularly prime the tank (every 6-8 hits) and top off the resurrector (every 6-8 hits), basically at the first hint of dryness. I give it at least 5 seconds between hits and hit for 2-5 seconds.

In contrast my wife uses a Provari mini, same tank, same boge carts (she doesn't like the resurrectors since she can't run at high voltage) and hers last 1-2 weeks without having any burnt taste.

So I think it has to come down to 1 of 2 things, something about how I vape (pull too hard, too soft, hold them angled too far down or up) or... there's something about my Twist doing this that the Provari doesn't.

I'd like your opinions on what I might be doing wrong, or if I just need to throw down for a better mod, or if there's any carto/atty setup that is better at staving off the burning taste. I'm not even opposed to dripping but have read that I need something better than the Twist for dripping cause it can damage the battery etc. What I'd like is something that can hold 3+ml of juice and I can just abuse the F out of and it will still taste great regardless. By abuse I mean hotbox, take 10 second drags, throw in my pocket, etc. I'd like to keep recurring costs down but initial cost isn't much of a concern. If something like the DID is the ticket then I'll cough up the money (not sure on the recurring costs there).

Thanks for you time and any thoughts!

Flyer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Illinois
First, don't use low resistance on a variable voltage PV. In theory, the Twist should be working will with the SR Boges. But, have you measured their resistance? Any chance they are not what you think they are?

FYI - with the rssurrectors, 3.8V and 1.7 ohms is right at the very edge of the Twist's current capabilities. The fact that the same Boge's work well on your wife's Provari would seem to indicate something amiss on the Twist. I'd get this sorted out before moving on to yet another juice system.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Flyer is right. 1.7ohms is really too low for a twist at 3.8V anyway. Smoketech cartos seem to have a pretty wide margin of error in their rating as well. Your resurrector could very well be 1.5ohms, which would really draw too many amps at 3.8V for a Twist.

You need to get yourself a meter if you don't have one. Check the output voltage of the twist and verify your resistance(s). Up you resistance to the 2.5-3ohm range. Not to be too obvious, but are you absolutely sure your initial fill is sufficient? There's really no reason you shouldn't be able to hotbox any good carto with 10 second draws if you're filling it and topping it off enough. It sounds like you got the topping off part of the equation down pat. There's no reason you should have to prime a tank every 6-8 hits though. The fact that you do that indicates to me that the tank isn't feeding it sufficiently.

If you're looking for something that holds about 3ml, that you can abuse and that won't leak, you might want to try a Vivi Nova. It won't cost you much to try one and they'll definitely outlast any carto. They're the only tank I'd carry in a pocket. They're also dead simple to re-coil for about a nickel and, with a VV, you won't have to worry too much about getting the resistance perfect. I vape mine hard for 2 weeks at a time before I re-coil them. They don't burn out in 2 weeks. It just takes less time to re-coil than to dry burn. They look a bit goofy on a eGo style battery, but you can't have everything and there are cheap adapters you can use to improve the aesthetics.

elothen

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2012
Ft. Worth
Thanks guys, several things I hadn't thought of. Yeah, I guess I'll just give my extra resurrectors to my neighbor (std. 3.4v EGO he has). They just got rave reviews and I wanted to try something different.

My wife uses the same carto's/tank on her provari that I do but she has tried my tank and said "something's not right with that". So I'm definitely going to get a new tank tomorrow (thinking this 6ml Triple V Polypro Tank). So I gotta think the resistance of my carto's is appropriate but maybe it's just the tank, as you said, isn't keeping it filled right so it's regularly running dry despite my valiant efforts. Either way, I'll start using her Provari to verify the resistance on them.

I wondered a little bit about how accurate the voltage was on my Twist, guess I'll take action on this now and test it out.

I'll give the vivi a try too. It just seems like a clearo with a big tank and I was burning through those quick before. Though I'll read up on this "re-coil" thing and maybe that'll be the ticket.

Oh, as far as pre-filling the carto's. At first I used what I call the 'flutter blow' method (sounds dirty doesn't it?). Then I read something that said this may lead to inconsistent fills because you force too much air through them. So now I use a fill, tap, shake method and then just blow a little once the juice hits the holes. Then I load in the tank, fill, and let it sit there for a good 10 minutes and think about what it's done.

Thanks all, you rock!

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I actually think I killed my Twist using a Smoketeck LR carto, I thought I had the SR carto on it but no it was the LR dual coil, yikes! Now the Twist is not holding a charge very long so I think I cooked it. With teh twist I perfer single coil SR's, I do use the XL's and also use tanks on it, but my real love is the Provari, but the Twist is so lightweight sometimes I vape it for half a day or when out and about. Now I need to find another one! LOL bnrk

elothen

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2012
Ft. Worth
That's a rather enlightening chart! It shows precisely that unless my boge's are ringing in exactly at 2.8ohm then I've surely been roasting them at 4.8v. Also wifey probably has as well but she's got the Provari over wattage protection and often runs at 4.5v. I can tell you after many many tests that the Twist @ 4.5v != Provari @ 4.5v when it comes to quality of vape.

I'm curious, and I rarely get curious, I only ever see carto's at 3ohm max. According to the chart to safely run the Provari at max 6v you'd need carto's in the 4.5 - 6ohm range. Can those be got or do you simply have to go to dripping on atty's for that voltage.

Also, I'd give ya a nickel to get that chart in an excel (or www.editgrid.com) file. ;-)

elothen

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2012
Ft. Worth
Thanks for properly categorizing this.

OK, so I got one of our hardware engineering guys to test some things. I didn't have my boge with me but I tested resistance on the resurrectors, one came in at 1.7, the other at 1.8. I tested the Twist at 4.0v and it came in spot on, then I tested it at 4.8v and it came in at 4.9v. So I'm pretty sure that my boge is prolly in the 2.6-2.8 range and I've been hitting it with 4.9v and that would push me into roast carto land.

4.9v @ 2.8ohm = 8.575
4.9v @ 2.6ohm = 9.235

Thanks everyone, you're awesome!

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'm curious, and I rarely get curious, I only ever see carto's at 3ohm max. According to the chart to safely run the Provari at max 6v you'd need carto's in the 4.5 - 6ohm range. Can those be got or do you simply have to go to dripping on atty's for that voltage.

Also, I'd give ya a nickel to get that chart in an excel (or Online Spreadsheets - EditGrid) file. ;-)

Dunno where you get em online but a local shop over here in Addison TX (Vape Lounge) has some 5ohm tank carto's in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread