Burning through coils...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you rebuilt before, you can again. Rayon makes a great wicking material, one of the favorites around these days. Great wick life and can tolerate relatively high temperatures with ease. Most folks use Sally's "Graham 100% rayon cellucotton" can also be found on Amazon.

I mention this because ALL my rta attempts from the very beginning were done only with the aid of this forum, and youtube videos. I've gotten fairly good at it without ever entering a vape shop, and there are some really good new RTAs and RDAs around, that are pretty awesome. So don't rule it out, although I kind of agree that it's good to have a reliable, drop in tank or two around as well. I have gotten to the point where I will take my RTAs out of the house, but it took me a while to get there....

Best of luck,

Anna

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The rebuildable tanks available now are much improved from just a year or two ago even the tanks that offer an RBA head work well and rayon wicking material is easy to work with, cheap, great flavor.
Not trying to talk you into anything, just an option, yank nasty wicking replace with new, keep on vaping.

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
I was going through 2 60ml bottles of daze 7 reds grape apple juice in a week. With about 3 coil replacements.
I use to use a rebuildable but I hated dripping and building. I’m not familiar with the tanks that are rebuildable. My daughter has the Smok Prince tank and has no issues. I also have the Tobeco super mini tank and have similitude issues but it’s an older tank and I was using the aspire coils. You just have to draw so hard with that tank.

Man, that's a lot of juice and IMO is a sad indictment of where vaping sits today. If I were you I'd look into, at the very least, quadrupling your nicotine level. In theory you will cut your juice intake by 4 and save a bunch of money on both juice and coils. If you are going to tell me that that much nic makes you dizzy or sick ask yourself this. Did the buzzy/dizzy/sick feeling you had the first time you smoked a cigarette stop you from continuing to smoke them? Push through it and you will be rewarded.

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
Man, that's a lot of juice and IMO is a sad indictment of where vaping sits today. If I were you I'd look into, at the very least, quadrupling your nicotine level. In theory you will cut your juice intake by 4 and save a bunch of money on both juice and coils. If you are going to tell me that that much nic makes you dizzy or sick ask yourself this. Did the buzzy/dizzy/sick feeling you had the first time you smoked a cigarette stop you from continuing to smoke them? Push through it and you will be rewarded.

Honestly I never thought about that since it did make me dizzy. I think that’s a great alternative to look into. Thank you.

Reactions: stols001

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
I would also look into getting the rba head for your bbb if you've rebuilt in the past should be ok with rebuilding . Its not like rebuilding a dripper but rebuilding a coil head

I will have to learn how to do it but I’m sure I’m capable since I did it years ago on the dripper. Seems so much more high tech nowadays.

• Optimistic

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
If you rebuilt before, you can again. Rayon makes a great wicking material, one of the favorites around these days. Great wick life and can tolerate relatively high temperatures with ease. Most folks use Sally's "Graham 100% rayon cellucotton" can also be found on Amazon.

I mention this because ALL my RTA attempts from the very beginning were done only with the aid of this forum, and youtube videos. I've gotten fairly good at it without ever entering a vape shop, and there are some really good new RTAs and RDAs around, that are pretty awesome. So don't rule it out, although I kind of agree that it's good to have a reliable, drop in tank or two around as well. I have gotten to the point where I will take my RTAs out of the house, but it took me a while to get there....

Best of luck,

Anna

Thank you.

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
The rebuildable tanks available now are much improved from just a year or two ago even the tanks that offer an RBA head work well and rayon wicking material is easy to work with, cheap, great flavor.
Not trying to talk you into anything, just an option, yank nasty wicking replace with new, keep on vaping.

So you just replace wicking material?

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes dryburn or clean the coil (depending on what material it is, you can dry burn kanthal but some folks prefer to gently "pulse" and clean SS and some wire (titanium, nickel) can't be dry burned. But if your coil is intact and happy, all that is needed is a clean/dry burn after removing the old wick, and rewicking. Coils generally can last a lot longer than wicks, although sometimes rayon wicks (IMO) give coils a run for their money. I generally rewick my rayon in 10 days (sooner if it starts to gunk) and use a new coil every month or so. Depending.

Anna

Reactions: Baditude

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
So you just replace wicking material?

Sorry I wasn't clear, just didn't want to seem like I was pushing you one way or the other.
With an RBA, RTA whatever, you either buy prewrapped coils or wrap them yourself, kinda like you did with the dripper / RDA you used before.
The coils can last quite a long time with occasional cleaning, when you need a new one the process is again similar to your RDA. The coil cleaning & wicking material change is a snap to do with a little practice. Not much just a little.

If you don't want to fiddle & futz around with an RBA of some sort, the original Crown is a solid suggestion for a replaceable atomizer head type 'tank' / delivery device.

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
Yes dryburn or clean the coil (depending on what material it is, you can dry burn kanthal but some folks prefer to gently "pulse" and clean SS and some wire (titanium, nickel) can't be dry burned. But if your coil is intact and happy, all that is needed is a clean/dry burn after removing the old wick, and rewicking. Coils generally can last a lot longer than wicks, although sometimes rayon wicks (IMO) give coils a run for their money. I generally rewick my rayon in 10 days (sooner if it starts to gunk) and use a new coil every month or so. Depending.

Anna

This is very helpful. Then I will just need to refresh myself on how to rebuild coil when it’s time. I assume it’s similar in a tank than it is in a dripper?

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
Sorry I wasn't clear, just didn't want to seem like I was pushing you one way or the other.
With an RBA, RTA whatever, you either buy prewrapped coils or wrap them yourself, kinda like you did with the dripper / RDA you used before.
The coils can last quite a long time with occasional cleaning, when you need a new one the process is again similar to your RDA. The coil cleaning & wicking material change is a snap to do with a little practice. Not much just a little.

If you don't want to fiddle & futz around with an RBA of some sort, the original Crown is a solid suggestion for a replaceable atomizer head type 'tank' / delivery device.

Thank you for the clarification.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I want to be clear I am talking about RTA coils that you install directly onto a deck. Although some stock coils can be rewicked and rebuilt, not all of them can. If you are using drop in coils, you MAY be able to rewick them, I'd look for an online tutorial and see if it's something that can be accomplished. Otherwise, with an RTA, you can buy premade coils but it is also certainly doable to make your own from vaping wire.

Best of luck,

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: MJCSD

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
I want to be clear I am talking about RTA coils that you install directly onto a deck. Although some stock coils can be rewicked and rebuilt, not all of them can. If you are using drop in coils, you MAY be able to rewick them, I'd look for an online tutorial and see if it's something that can be accomplished. Otherwise, with an RTA, you can buy premade coils but it is also certainly doable to make your own from vaping wire.

Best of luck,

Anna

If I am clear the Rta is just like a dripper but has a tank attached so you don’t have to drip. If that is correct at some point you have to replace the wire correct? That is the part I am rusty on and will need a refresher. I understand that you replace the cotton more often than the wire but not as often as a prebuilt coil that I am currently using correct?

• Agree

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
If I am clear the Rta is just like a dripper but has a tank attached so you don’t have to drip. If that is correct at some point you have to replace the wire correct? That is the part I am rusty on and will need a refresher. I understand that you replace the cotton more often than the wire but not as often as a prebuilt coil that I am currently using correct?
Welcome and glad you joined.
The build deck on some tanks can be smaller than the same diameter RDA.
Might help if you look at the rebuildable information below:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/7-information-resources-for-your-first-rba.4454/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/wrapping-building-coils-101-for-beginners.745045/
Rebuildable Tanks Explained: RBAs vs RDAs vs RTAs vs RDTAs
Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...er-flow-flavor-saturation-and-nic-hit.561226/

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread