Burnt motor oil taste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sil40sx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Los Angeles
So I have a MOV Genesis and a Cobra, both have random burnt motor oil taste. Its weird because it happens couple times a day, like 5 times in a hundred puffs/vapes. Also, I always tilt my PV whenever Im vaping, so Im sure Im not getting dry hit, its always wet ;)

All I can think of is maybe the way I oxidize my wicks? -Im doing the oxidation with water 3 times, then another 3 juice burn.

Does anyone have similar experience, that was able to figure out whats going on?

PS: Yes, I know what a REAL burnt motor oil taste like. Hehehehe

sil40sx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Los Angeles
what is your PG/VG ratio ??

50/50

Poor wicking will cause the flavor problem you are describing too. I.E. you may be vaping dry burn hits.

Im hoping thats the cause of the problem, but like I mentioned earlier, I always make sure that the wick is not dry before I vape by tilting the pv couple seconds before do it. And another thing I dont understand is its so random, like in between good hits. :confused:

sil40sx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Los Angeles
ok,,100% VG always had a motor oil smell to me anyway

Oh I see, good to know. Thanks!

Anyways, I just re-read some replies,.. I never wash my ss mesh before using because i thought everythings gonna be cleaned/washed from the oxidizing process anyways, no? - But ok, lemme try washing them before doing the oxidation, and see how it goes. Thanks again for the tips!

sil40sx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Los Angeles
with thick juice you can go to a 325 or try a hybrid 325/400. if you roll them solid then try a straw wick using a small paperclip. sometimes this helps thicker juices as well

My juice is pretty thin that's why I'm using 500 mesh,. My current wick is tight on the cobra and mov genesis, but a paperclip can be inserted in the middle smoothly (is that the straw wick?).

I recently got a DID Genesis clone.. I've prepped it twice...

The only problem is that I'm tasting metal when I hit it.
Also gotten a problem a handful of times where only the top coil is lighting up during my dry / test burns..
Thoughts or theories

On my iPhone with Tapatalk

I had that exact problem, when one of the coil is hotter than the rest. It went away as soon as I got rid of the hotspot.

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
I recently got a DID Genesis clone.. I've prepped it twice...

1 The only problem is that I'm tasting metal when I hit it.

2 Also gotten a problem a handful of times where only the top coil is lighting up during my dry / test burns..

Thoughts or theories

Effect number 1 is caused by issue number 2. There are a number of solutions to get rid of the top coil hot spot:
L kink, positive lead twisted wire, washers on positive post, leaning the wick closer to the positive post...
Or it can be avoided entirely with proper oxidation and a firmly hand wrapped coil.

sil40sx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Los Angeles
Hi eHuman! Can I ask you how you oxidize your ss mesh, and do you keep use a tight wick on your genesis attys?

I don't know if I'm doing it right, but I'm just doing the stuff I saw on youtube, like burning it with a torch, then dropping it in the water for 3 x, then using the same method but with juice. As for the wick, I tried the straw and tight, but nothing changed or improved, or at least I cant tell the difference between the to in terms of vapor and flavor.

Also, cant wait to try the twisted positive wire tonight, because my top coil looks hotter than the rest, but not getting error code from my PV.

Thanks in advance!

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
I keep trying and keep getting that top hot spot.

I've picked and poked at it to try and get the coils more even but still just the top coil that's getting hot.

I'm guessing its the ss mesh or the coil that I'm screwing up during prep. I was thinking all these components would be a bit bigger and my huge sausage fingers are having lots of problems with all this.. lol

On my iPhone with Tapatalk

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
As eHuman mentioned above the top lead hot spot can be caused by the distance from positive pole to wick. If you reduce this distance/resistance (lean wick over, add washers, twist resistance wire around itself) it'll go away.

Also make sure the fold of the SS mesh isn't in contact with the top coil (just point the fold any where away from the top wrap). This helped me last night with a hot spot.

Oh yeah and fold over that outer flap of the SS mesh. It will contain a bunch of frays that will create micoshorts. They reach out and touch the coil.

sil40sx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Los Angeles
This is a crop from the picture from my avatar, hence the low resolution. But i will try and take a close up shot tonight when I get a chance.

This is the closest I can get on my cobra, my only option left is doing the twisted positive wire. Thats the only thing I havent tried yet.

8415346556_0b90a5dcdc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread