Burnt taste from juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Depp

Sep 4, 2018
Hello, I’m super new to vaping and I am really confused on the juices. I’ve been using salt nicotine juices from brands such as saltnic, Mr salt-e, and blvk unicorn in a suorin air. Every time I have used a juice from these brands they have this burning sensation in my throat but the flavor taste fine. I leave the juice in for about 20-30 minutes before taking a hit and it still happens. The only juice I’ve gotten to not have this burning throat thing is blvk unicorn grape, but even then I’ve used blvk unicorn apple and strawberry but it still burns my
Throat. I was recommended to drop like 2 small drops of distilled water into one of the juices but it doesn’t work. I’ve really been trying to stay away from cigarettes but I might have to go back to them if I can’t find a solution to this problem. I’ve also tried this on a suorin drop but it does the same

Thank You
- David

Reactions: stols001

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Which is it? Title says burnt taste, post says burning sensation.
These are totally different things!

Sensation will be too high a ratio of nicotine and/or PG, both of which are the throat hit and possibly too much power for your coil. - Fix: reduce your power, reduce your PG and/or reduce your nicotine.
Taste will be your power is too high for the ohms of your coil. Burning the cotton once will leave the taste in the coil and possibly in the tank until replaced and cleaned out. - Fix: replace your coil or wicking, clean your tank, reduce your power.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska

Sensation will be too high a ratio of nicotine and/or PG, both of which are the throat hit and possibly too much power for your coil. - Fix: reduce your power, reduce your PG and/or reduce your nicotine.
Taste will be your power is too high for the ohms of your coil. Burning the cotton once will leave the taste in the coil and possibly in the tank until replaced and cleaned out. - Fix: replace your coil or wicking, clean your tank, reduce your power.
Power is not adjustable, its a pod unit.
Silver_d61c7e92-ec03-4d80-af23-0cbd39518e1e_480x480.jpg

David Depp

Sep 4, 2018
The juices you listed are saltnic 25mg & 45mg, Mr salt-e 25mg & 50mg and blvk unicorn 35mg & 50mg. Are you using the lower or higher nicotine levels. If higher try switching down to the 25mg choices.
Yea I’m gonna try to get the lower nicotine levels and hopefully it works but I’ve been using higher nicotine like 50mg before this only just started happening

David Depp

Sep 4, 2018
Ye

sorry about the burning stuff I’m not too good with words lol I was just using what came to my head first. I don’t think it’s a problem with the coil because a pod system vape but I’m not too sure but thanks for responding

• Optimistic

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Have you replaced the pod recently? E-liquids leave residue behind (some worse than others). This residue accumulates (commonly referred to as "coil gunking"); and can add harshness, and even give off a burnt taste, if it is bad enough. In a pod system, all you can do, is change out the pod.

How fast a coil will gunk up, is dependent on the types of e-liquids used, and how much liquid is vaped. If you are vaping lots of e-liquid, and/or using gunking-prone e-liquids, you may not be changing your pods often enough.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Salt nic juices vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

All salts aren't created equal. If what you are getting is 'throat hit', try juice from a different company.

Salts are formulated differently, some are smooth, and some provide substantial throat hit, regardless of the nic level. If you google, you will see folks talking about throat hit from various brands of commercial salt juices.

It would be nice if you knew up front which ones were which. I've bought commercial salts that were unvapable (to me) due to the harsh throat hit.

I usually DIY, so I finally just started mixing my own using concentrated salts. These are available in both 'smooth' and 'hit' formulations as well. I use smooth personally. The whole point of salts to me is to reduce throat hit. I would guess the different throat hit from various salt formulations is probably due to which (chemical) 'salts' of nicotine are in the product.

• Agree

David Depp

Sep 4, 2018
Have you replaced the pod recently? E-liquids leave residue behind (some worse than others). This residue accumulates (commonly referred to as "coil gunking"); and can add harshness, and even give off a burnt taste, if it is bad enough. In a pod system, all you can do, is change out the pod.

How fast a coil will gunk up, is dependent on the types of e-liquids used, and how much liquid is vaped. If you are vaping lots of e-liquid, and/or using gunking-prone e-liquids, you may not be changing your pods often enough.
Yea I just bought a new pod and filled it up with blvk unicorn strawberry

David Depp

Sep 4, 2018
Salt nic juices vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

All salts aren't created equal. If what you are getting is 'throat hit', try juice from a different company.

Salts are formulated differently, some are smooth, and some provide substantial throat hit, regardless of the nic level. If you google, you will see folks talking about throat hit from various brands of commercial salt juices.

It would be nice if you knew up front which ones were which. I've bought commercial salts that were unvapable (to me) due to the harsh throat hit.

I usually DIY, so I finally just started mixing my own using concentrated salts. These are available in both 'smooth' and 'hit' formulations as well. I use smooth personally. The whole point of salts to me is to reduce throat hit. I would guess the different throat hit from various salt formulations is probably due to which (chemical) 'salts' of nicotine are in the product.
I thought the juice I filled it with would work because I was using a different flavor by the same brand but it is super harsh still

• Optimistic

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Maybe the juice is newer? Sometimes you'll get a less steeped juice and setting it aside for a few weeks (perhaps even airing it out here and there) might improve matters?

It's also possible that one of the flavorings is making it "harsher' although it is for sure true that different vendors can vary widely in the nicotine they use and possibly how the nic is converted to nic salts (there are lots of different processes to do it.)

Good luck figuring it out!

Anna

David Depp

Sep 4, 2018
Maybe the juice is newer? Sometimes you'll get a less steeped juice and setting it aside for a few weeks (perhaps even airing it out here and there) might improve matters?

It's also possible that one of the flavorings is making it "harsher' although it is for sure true that different vendors can vary widely in the nicotine they use and possibly how the nic is converted to nic salts (there are lots of different processes to do it.)

Good luck figuring it out!

Anna
Thanks you, I’ll set my juice away for a little bit and hopefully it will get better and thanks for the information too.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Your using a pod.. I have no knowledge of how they work, what kind of coil and how the coil is situated inside, never seen one either. This is a general tidbit that does apply to all types of coils. Its a part of realizing that vaping is a technique that has to be learned. The day you ditch the pod to upgrade to better gear(rebuildable) knowledge will extend coil life from knowing how to vape off different ohm coils.
I posted this on another forum...
There is one fundamental property that some just don't get with chainvaping. Your first hit off a cold coil, you need (depending on the build) a moment of ramp up time to get a proper vape. Its the 2nd hit off a already warmed up coil that is the killer..it only takes a microsecond to get a warmed up coil to become red hot thus burning both juice and coil if your not pulling hard enough to compensate. You have to let the coil cool down some between vapes to get that ramp up time back or you'll burn the coil. Not pulling hard enough on that warmed up coil thats becoming red hot instantly will burn and kill the coil. No real way other than experience and getting tired of buying or rebuilding to get one to stop chainvaping. You have to learn to compensate how hard to pull off a cold, warm or hot coil, pulling the same speed on a hot coil as a cold coil...it will burn. It helps to pull a second or two of unpowered after the vape to help cool the coil down but still the more mass the coil, the longer to cool and even the after-vape pulling doesn't cool down enough if your vaping a massive multiwire coil. All that crackling after you vape you hear is juice burning onto the coil and if its cotton wicking your plugging up the fibers that lead into dryhits...read up on the properties of cotton, how the juice flows inside the fiber and how easy the fibers plug up from being burnt till no fibers left to move juice then dryhitting begins.
It doesn't matter what atty your using, they all do the same thing so IMO changing attys won't make any difference to the lifespan of a burnt chain-vaped coil. Learning to rebuild, control the chain-vaping and use rayon as wicking will lengthen the lifespan of any coil. Also over sweetened juices are killer on coils no matter if they are storebought or home built..DIY juices also extend coil lifespan cause you control what goes into a juice.

Last edited:
  • Useful

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
....kinda my opinion of the harsh.
Older coils get harsh in time from the "cocoon" of crust the juice leaves on the coil, mostly sweeteners. Burnt or partially burnt coils just get harsher faster. The heat has to pass through the cocoon before the juice can vaporize and that takes fair amount of power so the juice is only being partially vaporized.... in easy terms the vape is too cold.
The coil inside the pod could be poorly placed and maybe have wires touching each other making hot spots on the coil, so your inhaling pure heat from the hotspot or hotleg. This also makes a vape harsh. YouTube will show you almost everything you need to know about any vaping device.
Higher PG juice too make a harsh vape if its not being vaped right...back to technique.
Not so bad with all the mods nowdays but still one can tell low battery cause the quality of vape isn't there no more. With a mech, you know when your batt spent cause the vape becomes harsh from lack of power from the batt. Crappy knockoff, low quality internal battery(s) that come in mods that poop out way before their time and have very short lifespan before having to be recharged.

dangkhoa02106

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
VIET NAM
So your problem is harsh sensation on your throat. Then, I doubt about nicotine level, nicotine quality and maybe the spit back of juice or the vapor is so wet (juice was not vaporized at most).
There is a lot of vendor out there so there will be a difference with the salt nicotine they use.
Maybe you should cut down your nicotine target strengh a little bit or shake the juice well and let it steep for a while.
I used to have spit back problem with my Aspire Spryte (VGOD SaltNic Cubano Silver juice at 25mg), it was really a disgusting sensation.

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread