Burnt taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scowlgreg

Oct 4, 2016
Hi,

I have a newish smok Micro One. I have replaced the coil, put in liquid etc. let it sit for 30 mins and its fine for 2 days then after that there is a horrible burnt coil-ish taste and not alot of vapour. It comes and goes but i don't know whats causing it, I have turned down the watts, turned down the temperature, blown the top and nothing works. (it also happened on the first coil I got with the starter kit)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Yup, if you got a gunker juice you will need to change out your coils often. I know it's crummy, but if we like our juice it's something we have to deal with. I'm rebuilding my coils for my tanks (RBA) because of that very reason. Got tired of changing out my coil to often and it gets expensive. This way I can dry burn my coil and rewick it when needed.

Reactions: RainSong

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
The previous two members have both suggested the problem may have to do with your juice and they may be right. I suspect they have zeroed in on this as the problem because you've mentioned "after 2 days" the problem crops up making it sound as if this is a consistent thing. I have to wonder though if that's what really is the problem as there could be other reasons for the burnt taste. For instance it may have simply been caused by too much chain vaping and/or holding down the fire button too long. It may be nothing but a coincidence that this has seemly occurred more than once after 2 days use. Thick juice will exacerbate the problem, I know because I vape exclusively max VG. The problem may simply be that your wicking can't supply the juice fast enough to keep up with your demand. With thicker juice you do have to slow your vaping down a bit.

Once you taste that burned taste the coil may or may not be "cooked" so to speak. The burnt taste comes from the wicking getting scorched by the coil wire getting too hot. Without the juice and decent air flow the heat of the coil can't be dissipated. The wicking may be burnt to a point that all future vapes through it will taste bad or it may be fine tasting on the next vape and stay that way until the problem reoccurs. When the coil gets too hot it actually dosen't produce much vapor, it needs good air flow to the coil along with sufficient juice to vaporize the juice properly. Blowing through the atty while firing it is not what you want to do since this is a quick cure for too much juice on the coil, you've likely got the opposite problem. Try closing off the air flow and sucking through it without firing the coil. That way you are drawing juice out of the tank into the wick, and slow your vaping down. Turning down the power can help if your setting is too high to start with but turning it down too low will effect your vape in a negative way.

Reactions: BrotherBob

Scowlgreg

Oct 4, 2016
The previous two members have both suggested the problem may have to do with your juice and they may be right. I suspect they have zeroed in on this as the problem because you've mentioned "after 2 days" the problem crops up making it sound as if this is a consistent thing. I have to wonder though if that's what really is the problem as there could be other reasons for the burnt taste. For instance it may have simply been caused by too much chain vaping and/or holding down the fire button too long. It may be nothing but a coincidence that this has seemly occurred more than once after 2 days use. Thick juice will exacerbate the problem, I know because I vape exclusively max VG. The problem may simply be that your wicking can't supply the juice fast enough to keep up with your demand. With thicker juice you do have to slow your vaping down a bit.

Once you taste that burned taste the coil may or may not be "cooked" so to speak. The burnt taste comes from the wicking getting scorched by the coil wire getting too hot. Without the juice and decent air flow the heat of the coil can't be dissipated. The wicking may be burnt to a point that all future vapes through it will taste bad or it may be fine tasting on the next vape and stay that way until the problem reoccurs. When the coil gets too hot it actually dosen't produce much vapor, it needs good air flow to the coil along with sufficient juice to vaporize the juice properly. Blowing through the atty while firing it is not what you want to do since this is a quick cure for too much juice on the coil, you've likely got the opposite problem. Try closing off the air flow and sucking through it without firing the coil. That way you are drawing juice out of the tank into the wick, and slow your vaping down. Turning down the power can help if your setting is too high to start with but turning it down too low will effect your vape in a negative way.
Hi, this does sound more plausible because 2 days was a rough estimate and the taste comes and goes like if I hold it upside down and puff it tastes okay for 3 puffs and then comes back. Sorry to sound clueless but in beginner terms what would you suggest my course of action be? Thanks

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Depending on the coil you guys use you may be able to extend their life buy swabbing them out with a dry Q-tip/cotton swab every day or 2.

If it is a vertical coil and the ID of the coil is large enough it can be done. Crown coils Atlantis coils etc., if they are 0.2 or 0.5 ohm clean up nice.
You may need to peel a little fuzz away from the swab so it can be gently twisted in and out of the coil. I'll go through 1 or 2 swabs a day. When the swab comes out clean and not black, I know it's good for another day and a decent flavour comes back. If I lose the cotton in the coil I fish it out or push it through with a toothpick no probs. YMMV.

More complex coils with 2,3,4 or more coil cores are a no go though. AFAIK. Cheers.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi,
I have a newish Smok Micro One. I have replaced the coil, put in liquid etc. let it sit for 30 mins and its fine for 2 days then after that there is a horrible burnt coil-ish taste and not alot of vapour. It comes and goes but i don't know whats causing it, I have turned down the watts, turned down the temperature, blown the top and nothing works. (it also happened on the first coil I got with the starter kit)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Turning down the power can help if your setting is too high to start with but turning it down too low will effect your vape in a negative way.
You can easily perform this experiment by adjusting the power downward, take a few hits, bump it up, couple more hits. Repeat until you find your "sweet spot" just where taste is near perfect. Different flavors/atomizers will have different sweet spots so you may have to experiment with the power settings.
Note burning and harshness generally go hand in hand.
This is such a broad question, it's near impossible to tell whats causing this with the info you have supplied. Suggest you eliminate the 3 basic categories in turn, then narrow down:
Is it you? feel good, other peoples impressions etc..
Is it the equipment your using and how your using that has changed or are you using correctly?
Is it the vendor mixture or how you are using it?

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I have been having the same problem , what others have said and what I've read up on is , if you are vaping a very sweet liquid coils only last a few days as is crystalizes on coil giving burnt taste . I've got through 4 coils in the last 2 weeks for the same problem .
I was going through a coil every couple of days and now rebuilding with my RBA and will just dry burn and rewick when needed. It gets expensive going through coils like that.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
And yet for some reason I've yet to replace anything but coils I've accidentally fried the wicking on. They just seem to keep working regardless. My only explanation is that I'm often vaping from 2 or more devices at the same time so maybe no one of them ever gets that much use. Now of course I've gone to RBA's, RDA's and RTA's so am happily rebuilding at least one atty each night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread