Button and battery issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightTrance

Verified Member
Oct 16, 2010
California
Got my provari a week ago. Love it. But it seems to be a little finicky for me.

First issue: The button
The button fires every time, for sure, and I quickly learned that I have to push firmly on the button, because I found that any slack will stop the button from firing (right? :/ )

But when I go through the menu system, it's a different story. The issue is, I'll be cycling through with each click, but sometimes I'll hit the button and nothing happens, and the menu doesn't cycle. Well, maybe I didn't hit the button firmly enough. BUT THEN, when I hit the button after this "mis fire" the menu will rapidly cycle twice, as if I just hit the button twice when I only hit it once. It's rather frequent, and I find myself timidly pressing the button as carefully as I can in fear of overshooting a menu option and having to cycle through all over again.

Second issue: "Low battery" LED flash
When I first got my provari (the battery contacts should have been clean, right?) I vaped on it for the whole day, but halfway through my day, I got the led flashing at me, and the device turned off. I was confused because it didn't last that long. I cycled through the menu to Cb, waited a couple seconds, and no number popped up. So I unscrewed the end cap then put it back on, same battery, and checked the battery voltage again, and it read 3.6v. Not a dead battery at all. Vaped fine, but just to be safe, I changed the battery.

I later read that the LED will flash slowly when the battery is low, and not necessarily dead, but in the menu system I have the "Lo" setting turned OFF, which means the "Low battery" function shouldn't flash my LED. When I first got the provari I noticed a little "nick" on the internal battery contact, but assumed it wouldn't affect anything. Could this be a production fault? It appears to be a small "flat spot" on the otherwise rounded contact.

Last edited:

knivesout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
MT
I've noticed the button being finicky moving through menus and selecting things. It seems like if I press the button with consistent pressure it works fine, just takes a little getting used to. The LED flashing is strange, as I understood that the low battery indication wouldn't happen if the lights are turned off, although I haven't tested it myself. The button will usually flash at me once the battery hits 3.3-3.4v. Do you have a picture of this nick on the internal battery contact? It's hard to tell if it might be an issue without seeing it.

toot

Mar 30, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
I have the same issue with the button. It definitely needs constant pressure (not forceful by any means) but pressure nonetheless. I only really encounter it when I am vaping half-heartedly! I don't access the menus all that often but it can be an issue when navigating them for sure. I haven't been timing my sessions and therefore can't attest to battery life. My 18350 doesn't seem to last much longer than my old ego-t standard battery though. Glad I bought 2 batts fo shoooo!

MidnightTrance

Verified Member
Oct 16, 2010
California
Gave the battery connection post a thorough cleaning with some rubbing alcohol, and so far haven't had the battery problem. Hopefully I'd just gotten a bit of grim on my battery accidentally when I first put it in which caused the problem.

The finicky button is still finicky, however. Getting annoying. If this is normal ProVari behavior though, I suppose I don't mind dealing with it and just using the button as carefully as I can. I can't imagine this would be normal though.

MidnightTrance

Verified Member
Oct 16, 2010
California
Battery just "died" on me again. Lasted a good while though. But just out of curiosity, I unscrewed the end cap a little to stop the button from flashing, screwed it back on, same battery, and it read 3.5v. Maybe it's just me, but my 18650s on my Lavatube were dying at 2.9v.

Am I the only one experiencing this, or is this normal? Part of the safety features maybe? :/

NeonPriest

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Lehigh Valley, PA
even if you batteries are dying it keeps the voltage the same. if it didn't, as the battery drained you would get lower voltages the lower the battery went. i think i said that right but if i didn't please correct me. the feature the use keeps you getting a great vape at the set voltage no matter the battery charge.

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
Battery just "died" on me again. Lasted a good while though. But just out of curiosity, I unscrewed the end cap a little to stop the button from flashing, screwed it back on, same battery, and it read 3.5v. Maybe it's just me, but my 18650s on my Lavatube were dying at 2.9v.

Am I the only one experiencing this, or is this normal? Part of the safety features maybe? :/

A consensus was reached in another thread that the Provari generally starts flashing the "low battery" warning in the 3.5-3.4V range. 2.9V is far too low to drain these AW IMR batteries. Remember, they come off the charger at ~4.2V.

Contact Provape about these issues. You shouldn't be having button issues on a 2-year-old Provari, let alone a brand new one. They'll take care of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread