Caffiene + Nicotine =

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
Lots of us vape and drink 2 or 3 cups of coffee in the morning.

12mg juice isn't a really high level, but that's dependent on your system. If you are quitting smoking, it's probably good to have higher nic. Lots of us started at 24mg and weaned down to 6mg or 3mg over time.

Drink a lot of water during the day. It helps to flush the bad stuff and balance the electrolytes in your system. Get enough exercise to ease stress. Get away from the keyboard, go outside, breath lots of fresh air, and enjoy connecting with nature in your own yard. It's a wonderful way to take your mind off things that cause stress in your life.

Water: How much should you drink every day?
2-3 cups a day, that's it?:D

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
2-3 cups a day, that's it?:D

0A3190C2-D35C-4C87-A972-D589E50061D0.jpeg

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
Try yerba mate. A bit less caffeine than coffee but enough to stay focused with. It's become my go-to for work.
Love yerba mate! What I'd really like to have is coca tea. It's banned in the U.S. unfortunately and I guess for a good reason. But coca tea(leaves), unlike it's counterpart it does not get you high, is good for you. It's absolutely amazing at dealing with fatigue, and altitude sickness too. I had it once after being mostly on the road and awake for 36 hours, and then having to go play a 4 hour gig. I was dead on my feet, had a cup and then I was completely restored/rejuvenated.

Reactions: smacuser

JanTee

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Saint-Lazare, Quebec, Canada
So sorry to hear you had that frightening and unfortunate experience. May i ask how far are you away from cigarettes? It COULD be as mentioned caffine being more sensitive, most of us retired smokers need less morning java now we vape. It may also be detox from cigs. It can make some people anxious and jumpy. I would try less coffee first and if you continue to have anxiety or agitation get some homeopathic ignatia amara 30c, its very inexpensive at places like amazon. I prefer boiron because of the easy dosing packaging and it is as big as a lip balm so slips easily in a pocket or handbag. Take as needed if you start to feel stressed, jumpy or anxious etc. Many people finds it smoothes out any detox rough patches for them. Best wishes

• Agree
Reactions: JSL_Aus

Michael Hanel

Aug 8, 2018
HUGE anxiety attack this morning! I was vaping on my endura t18 with some 12mg juice and drinking my coffee then all of a sudden BAM massive anxiety shot right through me. I had to wind up getting up and doing some dishes to get myself calmed down. Anyone else experience this or just a fluke?

What you mention used to happen to me often, almost daily, when I smoked. Primarily, it would happen on my first cig of the day. Sometimes as I drove to work I tended to drink more coffee/smoke more cigs than when I’m relaxed. I think that was just due to the increase in anxiety of dealing with ...... on the road in the morning. So I learned to ease back on my consumption on both.
I also noticed that this feeling would come if I hadn’t had coffee for a few days and then engaged in the aforementioned activities.
Since I made the switch to vaping this has happened far fewer(not less, some Game of Thrones humor there) times. Below is a possible explanation of why you and I may have felt this way from the nicotine side. I haven’t searched for the caffeine side yet.
I found this on Nicotine | Psychology Today Article last reviewed 4/17/2017. Their references are cited in the link.
I snipped some bits from here and there but in no way attempted to take this article out of context. The article is very long so I’ve paraphrased.

“Nicotine acts as both a stimulant and a sedative. Immediately after exposure to nicotine, there is a "kick" caused in part by the drug's stimulation of the adrenal glands and resulting discharge of epinephrine (adrenaline). The rush of adrenaline stimulates the body, causing a sudden release of glucose as well as an increase in blood pressure, heart rate, and respiration. Nicotine also suppresses insulin output from the pancreas, causing smokers to be slightly hyperglycemic. In addition, nicotine indirectly causes a release of dopamine in the brain regions that control pleasure and motivation.”
Here I left out a part about the body’s similar reaction to other drugs.

“In contrast, nicotine can also exert a sedative effect, depending on the level of the smoker's nervous system arousal and the dose of nicotine taken.”

This article, to my recollection, never mentions the word vape or any derivation thereof. It does mention “Smokeless tobacco products“ which I do not consider vaping products to be a part of. Of course, the FDA would beg to differ with me on that categorization.I hope this helped. I look up coffee later and possibly update this.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
My :2c: - A copy/paste from a post on an open forum

"Caffeine and nicotine are different in their actions as stimulants. Caffeine is a non selective methyl xanthine phosphodiesterase inhibitor that serves to increase intracellular cAMP (a second messenger). When cAMP is elevated, cells become more excitable. There are two primary second messenger molecules, cAMP and cGMP. cAMP is more prevalent in neurons that lead to behavioral (and brain) excitation (dopamine, norepinepherine, epinephrine, etc), although it is also found in monoamine neurons that are associated with behavioral depression and sleep (e.g., serotonin). So, the stimulant action one sees from caffeine is largely due to hyper-excitation in the excitatory neurons neurons. The reason caffeine causes sleeplessness is because it is acting on the same systems affected by amphetamine and [blow], except with a much lesser overall effect.

Nicotine is a nicotinic acetylcholine agonist. That is, it acts directly on acetylcholine nicotinic receptors where it mimics the effects of acetylcholine. The preponderance of nicotinic receptors are contained in the peripheral nervous system. It is nicotinic stimulation that causes contraction of striate muscles that allow for body movement. The nicotinic receptors on the blood vessels cause constriction. In the brain, nicotinic cholinergic receptors are involved in learning and memory, concentration, and many other processes. The stimulant effects one sees from nicotine is largely due to its net effect on brain systems. It is not a behavioral stimulant the way caffeine is. In fact, nicotine has both activating and sedating properties, but the activation is much less behavioral in nature. The reason that it doesn't interfere with sleep is because of that.

I didn't intend to make this a pharmacology lesson."

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
Yes, like others have said, could be coincidence. As mentioned, when we quit the ciggies, we possibly need less caffeine, my understanding is that regular cigarettes do something that cause us to metabolize caffeine a lot faster. The upshot is that most people probably don't need as much coffee / tea as they did when they smoked.

I know when I was a smoker, I could drink 6-8 cups of double strength coffee a day, and yet the coffee barely touched me. Now, since switching to vaping, I have at most 2 cups of single shot coffee and perhaps a couple of green teas a day and that is plenty.

If you quit ciggies recently, then that might be a factor with your anxiety, or it could be the coffee having more effects. I went through 2 months of pretty bad anxiety and depression about 3 months off the cigs. I suspect that the MAOi's in cigs (a type of naturally occurring anti-depressant in tobacco) or should I say the withdrawal from cigs and the lack of MAOi's in my brain maybe made me more susceptible to anxiety and depression.

All that said, I used to have panic attacks and high anxiety when I was at school and before I ever smoked. The smoking did something for me, and for decades as a smoker it seemed to help lower my anxiety and depression levels.

Anyway, the upshot is that I suspect that your anxiety is not going to be a result of vaping. Coffee? Yes, possibly. Coincidence? Yes, maybe.

Hope that is of use.

SlowTalker

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2010
Ohio
My doctors actually advised me against lowering my nic levels. I made the attempt once I was well and truly off cigarettes, but it shot my pain management regime to hell. They decided that the nic was acting as a stress reliever so when it was gone my pain meds weren't enough to do the job. It was the caffeine I had to cut down on.

Yodara

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2018
Kenya
So a reply from a clinical Psychologist here. Caffeine stimulates your nervous system and for that reason it can make you nervous and trigger anxiety (this has been verified by a number of good studies). Nicotine is also a stimulant and the combination of these two can have different effects on different people. So if the combination makes you nervous just remove either and consume the other one later if you want to. Also note this may just be a coincidence. Btw, anxiety attacks can be successfully reduced by meditation so I would recommend this if you want to get rid of them. You can also see a Psychologist to find a solution. All the best and don't worry - you will be fine :)

Reactions: tailland

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
So a reply from a clinical Psychologist here. Caffeine stimulates your nervous system and for that reason it can make you nervous and trigger anxiety (this has been verified by a number of good studies). Nicotine is also a stimulant and the combination of these two can have different effects on different people. So if the combination makes you nervous just remove either and consume the other one later if you want to. Also note this may just be a coincidence. Btw, anxiety attacks can be successfully reduced by meditation so I would recommend this if you want to get rid of them. You can also see a Psychologist to find a solution. All the best and don't worry - you will be fine :)
I found out each time when I'm nervous drinking half a liter of energy drink always calms me down. :D

Yodara

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2018
Kenya
I found out each time when I'm nervous drinking half a liter of energy drink always calms me down. :D
Haha this might be same reason why people say cigarettes calm them down. You can get this perception if your brain is used to stimulants and has already adapted, so in this case drinking an energy drink will satisfy your need which feels calming. The other option is it activated your reward system in your brain such that it makes your feel good which you might mistake for calmness (after all being calm is more enjoyable if you feel good while being calm). I think too much :D But funny talk lol

Reactions: dripster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread