California teen injured by exploding e-cigarette

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I consider mechanical mods with no protecion to be home made even if all the parts were bought commercially because the person who puts the parts together has to be responsible for building it properly. There are plenty of dangerous things we are allowed to buy. I work with powered hand tools at work that are ridiculously dangerous in careless hands. A shining example, but one I don't use, is a chaiin saw. But it seems to me there must be a short simple list of do's and don't's that cover 95% of the bad things that can happen with vaping hardware. Has anybody got that list?

I'm a wimp. I have found no reason to go above 20 watts, the best vape I get is at 8-10 watts and I'm fine with all the protection the industry has to offer. The only reason I have for being interested in mech mods is just incase the government forces ...................

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
anyone notice this at the end of that article posted in the op?

" Two weeks ago, the Federal Aviation Administration issued a warning urging airlines to bar users from carrying the devices in checked luggage because they are believed to be behind incidents were fires were sparked in the baggage hold of aircraft."

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
anyone notice this at the end of that article posted in the op?

" Two weeks ago, the Federal Aviation Administration issued a warning urging airlines to bar users from carrying the devices in checked luggage because they are believed to be behind incidents were fires were sparked in the baggage hold of aircraft."

Lithium batteries are already not allowed in checked baggage on most US carriers...

dave51

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2014
oklahoma
Its some of the young ones sub ohming at rediculous settings
I stopped at a local B&M today and a young guy in his early 20s had a mech box mod with twin 18650s and a RDA with a .01 build on it
i politly ask him to wait untill I left before it explodes
He said he builds them that way all the time

thats way to low for safety and when I asked what batterys he was running he said 50 amp
So I made excuses and left

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
If it's important to restrict sales by age, vaping must remain legal. A lot of kids can get things that most adults would have trouble getting.

The 17 year old may have looked older. The shop may not intend to sell to under 18, but without a law they could lazy about carding, or let the guy slip a couple of weeks.

It's actually already illegal in CA to sell or otherwise provide e-cigs to minors. As is the case with most age restrictions, it didn't work.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
That's a long time in the vaping world...

concerning the progression of the technology, yes, but not in terms of incidents like this. Even if by some long shot that number had doubled, to 50, it still pales in comparison to other household items. Microwaves are involved in over 7000 fires annually.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
concerning the progression of the technology, yes, but not in terms of incidents like this. Even if by some long shot that number had doubled, to 50, it still pales in comparison to other household items. Microwaves are involved in over 7000 fires annually.

People don't vape with household items... Vaping is big in the news these days, so I hear... I think we will be hearing about a lot more of these cases...

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
People don't vape with household items... Vaping is big in the news these days, so I hear... I think we will be hearing about a lot more of these cases...

The point was that even if the number of incidents had DOUBLED in the past six months, which I don't believe it has, it would still be incredibly rare, especially compared to other common appliances.

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
Seems like these incidents are happing every other day now...

You're likely to see more and more of this type of thing in the media.
For one vaping is gaining ground in the population and if we believe Jonathan Gruber we're all stupid
and likely to blow ourselves up ;)
For another, the gub'min spoon feeds the media whatever propaganda they need propagated.

Speaking of media, I checked out that pix you sent me last night thoroughly.
Send me the other photo and I'll probably be able to tell you what's up.

Regards Brother Wingnut,

Hazy :smokie:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I consider mechanical mods with no protecion to be home made even if all the parts were bought commercially because the person who puts the parts together has to be responsible for building it properly. There are plenty of dangerous things we are allowed to buy. I work with powered hand tools at work that are ridiculously dangerous in careless hands. A shining example, but one I don't use, is a chaiin saw. But it seems to me there must be a short simple list of do's and don't's that cover 95% of the bad things that can happen with vaping hardware. Has anybody got that list?

I'm a wimp. I have found no reason to go above 20 watts, the best vape I get is at 8-10 watts and I'm fine with all the protection the industry has to offer. The only reason I have for being interested in mech mods is just incase the government forces ...................

That's an excellent example I suppose; if you walk into a place that sells among another things, a chain saw, a salesperson isn't going to talk up a chain saw to any and everybody including the ........... rich preppie 19 year old girl with fancy eyelashes and 2 inch long pick fingernails who's got in here head to build a boat for her boyfriend as a birthday gift; ok, that's imaginative.

I'm trying to say vape stores need to take up the responsibility; you can't just sell stuff to unsuspecting users, build a 0.1 ohm gplat coil on an rda, on a smpl mod and smile.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
You're likely to see more and more of this type of thing in the media.
For one vaping is gaining ground in the population and if we believe Jonathan Gruber we're all stupid
and likely to blow ourselves up ;)
For another, the gub'min spoon feeds the media whatever propaganda they need propagated.

Speaking of media, I checked out that pix you sent me last night thoroughly.
Send me the other photo and I'll probably be able to tell you what's up.

Regards Brother Wingnut,

Hazy :smokie:

It is a new fad for the kids, so the media is going to post e-cig stories...

Pic sent...

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place

I can see the headline now.

Fires and explosions of dangerous e cigarettes double in the last six months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread