• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Can anyone in Toronto show me how to wrap the coils for the DID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kencalise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Toronto
Got the new DID today, it is all SS.
it is hard to get the right coil to work on it.
My provari shown E1, E4 when i check its ohm.
Funny thing i noticed, i wrapped 5 coils on the DID, the coils would not light up, expect 1.
Also, it has burn smell.

update: Now the provari reads it @2.7 ohm, i got 5 coils light up already, then i filled the juice into the tank, but i got a hot spot at the top wire, it still smells burn.

I think i didn't do it correctly.
it just doesn't work.
I think the old one works better(brass screws), since the screws wouldn't move.
If u can show me, i would buy u a dinner(For helping me out)!:laugh:
Thank you

Last edited:

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Yeah,most likely a short...dont wrap the coil tight nor loose,it is why the masters wrap the mesh on a toothpick and match the dimension of the mesh square and the resulting diameter of the rolled mesh with a coil made on a screw or a drill bit THEN slide the coil on the mesh then attach it.

Hell,I know how yet I've not tried it (too lazy to experiment with the whole thing since I got several genesis-nightmare-gotta take notes)right now I break-in the coils on a mechanical tube mod with protected batteries instead,then transfer on my VW APVs.

Kencalise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Toronto
Make sure the wick is Oxidized well first of all. That's your first line of defense against a short.

If you want a practical lesson in person and don't mind the drive to Brampton I'd be happy to show you myself. Got everything I need here. :)

Dude, i don't mind to drive up to yr place.

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
What part of TO are you in Ken?! Fuzzione and I are in Pickering and usually meet up every now and again at a Pub close to our homes. Wing nights Wednesdays. We both have DID's and would be glad to share some pointers as well. ;)

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Like I said previously,keep the mesh as close to the post as possible so there is little lenght of the coil not touching anything,oxydize as best you can and make sure your mesh wicks perfectly;some mesh dont at the top and that creates hotspots as well since the top of the coil is always dry

Kencalise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Toronto
Like I said previously,keep the mesh as close to the post as possible so there is little lenght of the coil not touching anything,oxydize as best you can and make sure your mesh wicks perfectly;some mesh dont at the top and that creates hotspots as well since the top of the coil is always dry

i made it so close to the pole, but it first burned(hot spot) then broke down.:(

Last edited:

Kencalise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Toronto
That is a sign of a mesh not properly oxydized...make sure your bottom coil doesnt touch anything too

i oxidized it with the torch, oxidized it(3 times) be4 rolling it, after i rolled it i torched it again(3 times).
Then, i burned it with juice(3 times).
the bottom coil touches the base and the nut

fuzzione

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2012
GTA Ontario
Nah,its ok since the screw the wire is attached to is screwed into the base,and that base gets moist so you wont see any hotspot there ever,but keep the coil away from that bottom nut!

One way of avoiding this is to wrap your coil from the bottom counter-clockwise and from the outside of the bottom screw. It will never touch the positive post screw this way. It's the way I do it. Having done both clockwise and counter I've seen no practical difference in performance of the coil.

What you're after is a 'just right' tension of the coil against the wick. The coil should be lightly touching the wick without tugging at it in any way. In a perfect wrap you can take the wick right out of the coil after it's been mounted with only a minimal amount of friction being felt and with the wick removed the coil should be completely undisturbed.

Also try to get the wick as vertical as possible in the hole so that it is barely touching any portion of the insides of the hole.

But as has been mentioned, 90% of the problems come from an improperly oxidized wick. Hope some of this helps you. Feel free to drop by the DID thread. Tons of tutorials, vids, tips etc. to get you going.

Kencalise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Toronto
Also try to get the wick as vertical as possible in the hole so that it is barely touching any portion of the insides of the hole.

But, Jim said that the size of hole on the wick should be as big as the wick hole on the DID, isn't it?
If so, the wick would touch the wick hole in any way.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread