Status
Not open for further replies.

Kencalise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Toronto
Got the new DID today, it is all SS.
it is hard to get the right coil to work on it.
I think i didn't do it correctly. it has burn smell.

update: Now the provari reads it @2.7 ohm, i got 5 coils light up already, then i filled the juice into the tank, but i got a hot spot at the top wire, it still smells burn.:facepalm:

Please share yr ideas!
Thank you!

Last edited:

RsK0807

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Columbia, Pennsylvania, United States
Try a 2/3 or 3/4 wrap. i've found that the less coils you wrap, the less hassles you have with shorts.
Make sure your wick isnt touching the bottom of the tank.
Run a lighter under the wire before you wrap your coil (i do 2 passes)

With the tank empty, put your provari to 2.9 or 3V, burn and watch for an even coil glow. Adjust your coils until they glow evenly.
Now you should be all set to fill the tank and Vape away

Kencalise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Toronto
Try a 2/3 or 3/4 wrap. i've found that the less coils you wrap, the less hassles you have with shorts.
Make sure your wick isnt touching the bottom of the tank.
Run a lighter under the wire before you wrap your coil (i do 2 passes)

With the tank empty, put your provari to 2.9 or 3V, burn and watch for an even coil glow. Adjust your coils until they glow evenly.
Now you should be all set to fill the tank and Vape away

might need 36 awg to be 3/4.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Kencalise,

Go to the DID thread, there is a ton of info there, it can be a little tricky when you first get the DID, it can act finicky until you get use to it and setting your top wire, also for me it is easier using 4 nuts, try putting your wire in between the 2nd & 3rd nut instead of leaving the top two float. Also try using your DID on a mechanical Mod first Provari can be touchy. I run a 2/3 wrap with 32Awg all the time by the way and never an issue, especially Not an explosion. I tend to not agree with more coils more vapor on the DID, the 2/3 wrap nets me more vapor then more coils, and more coils on the DID make it even tougher to get going, try 3 full coil wraps and tinker with your top connection a bit.

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla

Kencalise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Toronto
BJ, your scaring the guy with the explosion thing in my opinion,, the DID thread is hear = http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/euro-suppliers/296166-new-genesis-type-atomizer-did.html Make sure your using an IMR Battery Kencalise and watch some YouTube videos as well as Rweshler's tutorial, you will be fine. Also like I said if you have a mechanical Mod start with it before you rush to the Provari.

Thanks, MWA!
I have a Reo grand, and a vv battery(which u can change it from 3.3v, 3.7v, and 4.2v).
ya, i always use aw imr batteries on mods.:D

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
BJ, your scaring the guy with the explosion thing in my opinion,, the DID thread is hear = http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/euro-suppliers/296166-new-genesis-type-atomizer-did.html Make sure your using an IMR Battery Kencalise and watch some YouTube videos as well as Rweshler's tutorial, you will be fine. Also like I said if you have a mechanical Mod start with it before you rush to the Provari.
Damn right, hope they do get scared, people who don't know batteries are playing with fire if they drain faster than the C rating of the battery, and IMR is not fail safe. I have seen batteries explode in several RC models and had one explode in a charging Blackberry, not pretty. I have seen many DID with 5/6 coil 32g A1. But each his own and I will leave you to your DIDs because I know little about them. I stick to my statement to those new to SS wicks, stay away from LR until you are experienced with these wick/coils.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Less coils less and harsher vaper. More heating area more vaper and if you don't know what your doing do not use less than 1.8 ohms. I have seen many provaris ruined from shorted or very low resistance coils, the system doesn't always just give a error. you can blow it.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

WOAH. i did not know this. i think im going to rethink my whole idea of getting into rebuilding.
yep. just rethought it. im not doing it. its hard for me to justify ruining an expensive device trying to save money on an inexpensive item. my plan was to try rebuilding vivi nova heads but now im scared.

ricklynchcore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
Chicago, Il
:blink: :blink: :blink:

WOAH. i did not know this. i think im going to rethink my whole idea of getting into rebuilding.
yep. just rethought it. im not doing it. its hard for me to justify ruining an expensive device trying to save money on an inexpensive item. my plan was to try rebuilding vivi nova heads but now im scared.

Come over to the DID thread. There are hundreds of us using the precision DID on vv mods in complete safety. I understand bjs wise admonition on going very low res on the provari, but you can find enjoyable vapor with a 2.0 coil and a 4.2 volt range, with minimal hot spots or shorts. So come by the above thread and let your did journey begin.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
In my case 4 turns of 32AWG Kanthal A1 comes out at around 2.2 ohms every time. I find this a bit high for straight battery power but it works well enough with a Kick (don't have a Provari). I go for 3 turns (1.6 ohms roughly) if I want to run it straight from an IMR battery.

BTW, I don't get the "4/3" and "3/2" notation - can anyone explain? What would this be (I'd call it 4 turns)?

DSCN0297.jpg DSCN0298.jpg

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
BTW, I don't get the "4/3" and "3/2" notation - can anyone explain? What would this be (I'd call it 4 turns)?

View attachment 132918 View attachment 132919

4/3= you see 4 coils when looking at one side of the coil wrap and 3 when looking from the other side.

the idea is if you just said use 4 coils, some might end up with a 5/4while others would end up with a 4/3 and basically be a full coil off. I was confused about the same thing ;)

to OP, if yer top coil is lighting up first/only then it is most likely the top coil shorting on the wick. remember, just cause you may have does what seems to be a nice job of oxidizing the wick, the is a lot of movement at that last coil when attaching to the POS post and could create a short. I have since used some of the "cotton"/SS methods for SS wicks and haven't had any shorts or burning coil"legs" since. GL

therealrock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2012
Thailand
I've had my did for about 2 weeks now, and finally have it working the way i want. This gen atty is great but takes a while to get working. The copper posts and nuts seam to be very sensitive. I had lots of problems with popping coils and hot spots. I found it helps if all the nuts are real tight, the wick isnt too thick, small adjustments and above all lots of paitence. Persist you will like it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread