Can E-Cigarettes be more dangerous than normal ones for pregnant women?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirelush001

Jan 6, 2009
England UK
Just thought I'd ask u guys if the ecigs can be more dangerous than normal ones during a pregnancy.Yes,its me thats pregnant and desperate at the same time since I cant quit smoking no matter what.I know they arent supposed to be used by pregnant women,but how much more dangerous can they be than the 10-11 ciggies i was smoking before?Im thinking:if i get the no nicotine e-liquid...how much damage could it bring to my very very early pregnancy?Hope i wont be blamed for being preggy and still smoking :(.Its freaking hard,believe it or not...then again,it stresses me out so much knowing that i have to be careful about how many i smoke and i know stress can cause just as much damage to the dot i have in my tummy.

BiscuitSlayer

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2008
Acworth, GA
Pregnant women probably shouldn't be doing e-cigs any more than analogs. Pregnant women aren't supposed to clean cat boxes or eat red meat any other way than well done. I think it would be unwise to puff away on untested liquids or devices. A fetus is way more susceptible to things than an adult. When my wife was pregnant, she was supposed to eliminate or at least cut down on caffine as much as possible.

Anybody's oppinion here is going to be just that. Nobody is going to have any proof of anything.

equazcion

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
New York City, USA
Hope i wont be blamed for being preggy and still smoking :(.Its freaking hard,believe it or not...

I've tried quitting before and after climbing the walls I thanked god that I was born a man and will never be obligated to quit for the sake of pregnancy. I can't imagine going though that kind of dilemma. So you won't get any judgments from me.

Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you and can only offer my sympathy for your situation. I hope someone else has more useful thoughts on this.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Congratulations, I hope you are feeling well and have a trouble free, happy time.

I'm not a medic but I'll give you my opinion for what it's worth. Whatever you decide to do I think you should double check with a health care professional to see if they think it's wise.

What I would be most worried about is nicotine. I've heard that it causes problems for the dot that might last them a lifetime. NRT is only recommended when absolutely necessary and I think for health evaluation purposes, in your case you should consider using liquid nicotine as NRT. This is not in any way satisfactory but it's the only thread we have about NRT safety - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/3598-nicotine-safety.html

As I said, I'm not a medic and bear in mind there have been no real human trials of eliquid so this is just opinion. Personally I wouldn't worry about propylene glycol, glycerine or alcohol but you might want to think about flavourings and whether they are safe to inhale.

I would go for it, if it gets you off tobacco it's likely to be an improvement even if it's not ideal. Try to stick with zero nicotine and decide on what you think about flavourings. If you can bear it then straight propylene glycol and/or glycerine are probably even better. You could still enjoy the habit of 'smoking' without nic and flavour. There is a little bit of information about flavourings and health here - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...oking/2666-inhaling-flavouring-chemicals.html

Ideally you could achieve a nice calm, relaxed, happy state without any props but if you must have something then try to minimise the risks.

There really isn't any information on the forum about pregnancy so if you would like to start a thread and share your findings it might help others with the same concerns.

All the best, I hope everything goes well.

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
As a complete layman I would say the exact oposite. Tobacco is bad for unorn babies, but you exactly know *how* bad. I am a smoker´s child, billions of people are. The e-cigs have been around for... two years? NO testing/studies were ever done concerning our nicotine liquid and unborn babies. The liquid is made in China. It is not controlled/regulated. There might be contaminants. And so on.

Even if it sounds terrible, especially in this forum, I would say: Go for the known risks for the baby. They might be much smaller than the yet unknown. You can always quit tobacco and start vaping after the kid is safely born.

Ladycats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Western North Carolina
I'm with Frankie too ... I personally would stick with the "known" .... there are far too many "unknowns" in our liquids .. and like yourself ... I couldn't stop smoking during my pregnancy ... so I cut back, and only smoked them half way down .. hehe don't ask ... in my hormonal little brain that was somehow "better" *shrugs*

Best of luck to you .. regardless of which route you take :)

I simply can't imagine that any doctor out there would actually recommend analogs over vaping if it were a choice between the two - even with the long-term unknowns of the latter. The chances of vaping being even more dangerous than carcinogenic smoke during pregnancy, to me, is stretching the limits of credulity.

Perhaps gum is something to consider if you absolutely need a nicotine fix to keep from going crazy. At least any dangers are strictly confined to nicotine and nothing else.

equazcion

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
New York City, USA
I think I agree with SuperStack. This is only if I were absolutely forced to choose one over the other, but I'd choose ecigs for the same reasons I currently choose them over analogs, despite the lack of long-term studies. I believe anything is better than smoking. Smoking cigarettes is burning something and inhaling the smoke, it's just like choking in a house on fire, only in doses you don't feel as much. It's just plain poison.

If possible maybe you could make your own liquid, using only the bare essential ingredients. Vegetable glycerin and a tiny amount of nicotine if you need it, no flavoring, and refrigerate it so you don't need preservatives. I just can't see that being worse than inhaling smoke.

Like I said, that's only if I absolutely had to choose though. Perhaps you could brainstorm with your doctor and find a third option that would work well enough for you.

mirelush001

Jan 6, 2009
England UK
Ok,first of all i'd like to say that i've informed my GP about my trouble in quitting smoking and about the fact that i have reduced the no of ciggs from >20/day to 7-10/day.He said its good as it is and recommended also the nicotine inhaler.The problem with that is that i dont need the nicotine...i really dont...i need the smoke...the vapour or smoke or whatever i exhale.Its not hard to quit intaking the nicotine,its hard breaking the stupid habit.I've tried with those Crafe Away Dummy Cigarettes cuz they feel like a real cig,but nothing comes out of my lungs/my throat after inhaling on it.I am literally desperate and my only chance is to get the satisfaction out of the Platinum Mini i've ordered from TW with the 30ml bottle of Zero Nicotine liquid.I did see a post on a site...a doctor was answering to this question but unfortunatelly cant find that site or the post anywhere in my laptop's history :(.He thought that although e-cigs arent the best choice, they have to be safer than regular ciggies,especially the zero nicotine ones.I'll try again tomorrow to find that site.
I appreciate the effort and the suggestions given by all of you in order to help me with this huge issue im having.This is my first pregnancy and im the last person to want anything to go wrong with it.Thanks again for the support!

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I really feel for you, we can only give you opinion, there are no established health facts for vaping yet.

Doctors tend to think that anything is bettter than smoking and I'm sure trying the zero nic juice is a good idea but there are no guarantees.

There is a doctor involved with the forum, Dr Loi. He's been doing the only clinical trials in the world on the effects of vapour, if anyone will be able to advise you it's him. This is his profile page - e-cigarette-forum.com • The place for electronic cigarette reviews, news and chat - View Profile: jimldk

Maybe you could send him a message, perhaps ask him to read this thread or summarise what you've told us. I don't know how often he comes here, that's the only thing so you may have to wait for a while for a reply. He's a good bloke though, I'm sure he'll reply and give you good advice.

Dr Loi is an ex smoker too and now uses vapourising devices. He's the only thing we have that's remotely expert in the practice and how it relates to real people in real life.

All the best.

BiscuitSlayer

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2008
Acworth, GA
I'd talk to your doctor if I were you.

Any doctor in the US is going to say that they don't reccomend it.

How could they? They know nothing about it, hell for that matter we don't know anything about it either. How could they sit there and say that it would be better than smoking. We THINK that it would be better, but there is nothing out there that would be considered proof.

Doctors tell you to not eat red meat that isn't thouroughly cooked, don't clean cat boxes, and don't drink caffine. I can't see a doctor condoning the use of the e-cig anytime soon for someone that is pregnant.

mirelush001

Jan 6, 2009
England UK
Thanks a lot Kate, ur a star. I am really impressed by all this.I've posted on pregnancy forums,asked for advice or tips or whatever in order to stop smoking and got nothing back...this is really impressive...i feel like im part of a family heh...Thanks a lot.
Im off to bed now but tomorrow i will definitely give Dr Loi a shout about my problem and ask for advice.

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Another idea, if you really decide to go with e-vaping, could perhaps be to choose for the real ruyan-cartridges, zero nic. They are more expensive; and you will have to buy cigar- or pipe-cartridges, squeeze out the liquid if you are using something else then a cigar or pen-model, and use that to fill cigaret-cartridges (you can just transfer the cigar-filling staight over to the pen-cartridge with tweezers) - but then you do have the liquid that has been looked at most of all liquids, and has been found to be pretty safe so far, by Dr. Laugesson in New Zealand (I think btw that he mentions pregnancy somewhere in his papers too... not quite sure but think so...).
Remember that I am talking about the real ruyan-liquid, not the ruyans (1 to 4) that others sell...

I get the real Ruyan for a decent price at 50pc RUYAN cartridges for e-cigar - Cartridges - Ruyandirect.com Best E-smoking Shop (50 for $36, plus shipping but that's not too much). Watch it, it's a mix on that site of Ruyan and not-ruyan... I would certainly go for ruyan and not for the other choices in your situation.

Last edited:

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
Any doctor in the US is going to say that they don't reccomend it.

How could they? They know nothing about it, hell for that matter we don't know anything about it either. How could they sit there and say that it would be better than smoking. We THINK that it would be better, but there is nothing out there that would be considered proof.

Doctors tell you to not eat red meat that isn't thouroughly cooked, don't clean cat boxes, and don't drink caffine. I can't see a doctor condoning the use of the e-cig anytime soon for someone that is pregnant.

Exactly. But I was meaning to involve the doctor in NRT options and knowing what nicotine does versus smoking, etc., which it appears she has done already.

I just wouldn't trust my developing baby to some unknown liquid from China, especially with all that has come from there recently. I've read a lot of those manufacturing sites, where the liquid ingredient includes "etc" on the list. Eeeek!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread