Can I just use water to clean a PG flavor from an atty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColKurtz

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC USA
I purchased several smaller bottles of e-juice when I got my first e-cig (510) last month. I just got around to trying 555 and... omg I almost threw up in my mouth. I don't know if it's the brand (heaven-gifts) or that's how it's supposed to to taste, but for me it has a skunky, malty, stink and I can't get the taste out of my mouth. Worse, I got my 2 attys mixed up and put the vile stuff on my 2nd one, too.

Can I just use water to clean the taste from an atty? I see lots of posts recommending alcohol, but I don't have any white liquor (not sure scotch is a good cleanser :). Some posts recommend boiling water, sometimes with baking soda. I've also read VG is apparently more "oily" than PG so I'm hoping maybe that's why alcohol is more necessary with VG?

Just trying to get this god-awful taste off of my attys tonight. I've put some other juices in and tried burning it off for an hour or so, but it's still there. Thanks for any info.

mzruzz

Sep 25, 2009
Virginia, USA
:lol:The only way scotch will help is if you drink enough nothing else will matter!!!! Seriously, the same thing happened with me only it was with Ry4 or some such; yuch!!!! Don't know what to tell ya, hope someone else will chime in. But I ordered several attys in different colors for the sole purpose of trying out flavors without comprimising my tried and true regular vape!!!

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
Try using diet coke or isopropyl alcohol for soaking it for a while, rinse well and let dry thoroughly before using since water is not good with a atomizer in use. That should get rid of gunk build up on your atomizer and get you a clean vape again. That works great with the 510, others recommend a dry burn but I never would and don't recommend it.

jericoriver

Please support CASAA
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Midway,Ga.
:lol:The only way scotch will help is if you drink enough nothing else will matter!!!! Seriously, the same thing happened with me only it was with Ry4 or some such; yuch!!!! Don't know what to tell ya, hope someone else will chime in. But I ordered several attys in different colors for the sole purpose of trying out flavors without comprimising my tried and true regular vape!!!

I don't know what to tell you .I love 555, and Ry4.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I just got around to trying 555 and... omg I almost threw up in my mouth. I don't know if it's the brand (heaven-gifts) or that's how it's supposed to to taste, but for me it has a skunky, malty, stink and I can't get the taste out of my mouth. Worse, I got my 2 attys mixed up and put the vile stuff on my 2nd one, too.
You already got good advice, so I just had to wonder - the stuff was so vile it almost made you throw up in your mouth and you were giving it a second try?? 8-o I'm sorry, I know it's not funny, but that part just made me chuckle.

I had good luck getting a few pungent flavors out of my attys tossing them into a little boiling water for a couple of minutes, stirring with a little baking soda - which is a natural, gentle cleanser and deodorizer. Make sure to rinse well to get all of the baking soda off and dry thoroughly.

But there are all sorts of methods to try. I wouldn't recommend a dry burn until you've tried everything else. I've been told to clean it thoroughly and air dry it before the dry burning, too.

Luckily they're cheap to replace if bothing else works.

Good luck!

ColKurtz

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC USA
I just had to wonder - the stuff was so vile it almost made you throw up in your mouth and you were giving it a second try?? 8-o

Oops. I meant to say I got my e-juices mixed up, not attys. I took the 555 atty off and had the ry4 (which I like) bottle sitting next to the 555. My stuff is in the garage to keep it away from the kids... it's pretty dark in there and I picked up the wrong bottle and put it in my clean atty. I've pitched the 555 to make sure I don't do that again.

BTW I read your article on public and political e-cig reactions, or moreover overreactions, and I think it may be one of the most well-written pieces on e-cigs that I've read so far. Very nice job.

Thanks for the info from everyone. Soaking in hot water now.. hoping for the best.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I purchased several smaller bottles of e-juice when I got my first e-cig (510) last month. I just got around to trying 555 and... omg I almost threw up in my mouth. I don't know if it's the brand (heaven-gifts) or that's how it's supposed to to taste, but for me it has a skunky, malty, stink and I can't get the taste out of my mouth. Worse, I got my 2 attys mixed up and put the vile stuff on my 2nd one, too.

Can I just use water to clean the taste from an atty? I see lots of posts recommending alcohol, but I don't have any white liquor (not sure scotch is a good cleanser :). Some posts recommend boiling water, sometimes with baking soda. I've also read VG is apparently more "oily" than PG so I'm hoping maybe that's why alcohol is more necessary with VG?

Just trying to get this god-awful taste off of my attys tonight. I've put some other juices in and tried burning it off for an hour or so, but it's still there. Thanks for any info.

Highly suggest getting some cheap 151 clear vodka - $12 around here. You can use it to clean your attys afterwards too. Change your cartridge fillers too, of course. I soaked the whole cart/mouthpiece in the 151 after the wretched 555.

I had the exact same 555 experience - mine from eastmall but heaven gifts and all vendors that carried dekang (juice manufacturer) juice had the same problem with all flavors. That ended with the PRD dates after August, although some may still have the earlier stuff in stock. I always ask for PRD dates after August. It's gone now the RY4, Hilton, Kent, Flu cured, (I haven't tried the 555 because it was the worst - it's the strongest tobacco flavor anyway and I think there was miscalulation in the amount of tobacco in that whole batch/lot from around the end of May until August. The stuff before and after are good in my experience. Last three shipments from HG have been the good stuff.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
VG is not more oily, it is just thicker. TEchnically is it less ioly that PG. I use vodka right now for cleaning, 100 proof seems to work great. ~15 minutes, blow out through screw end, put upright on towel to dry overnight.

Not sure sure IPA is a good choice, since it is denatured with pyridine, which will taste bad and can make you sick. High-proof vodka or everclear if you can get it are prob the best.

Kurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread