Can i vape 0.1ohm (coil) at 177w with 2x 18650 30a batteries? using Voopoo Drag 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Yea, well, it's fine, idk when I'll try out vaping at a higher wattage I'll most likely as well change my mind even further about vaping at high wattages, since, its so wasteful on the e-liquid and batteries, not to mention too slow wicking, dry hits at 177w, so I might not even wanna get a more powerful setup in the future. Anyway, yeah, I've heard that 18650 batteries, in general are very overrated these days. OEM batteries huh, never heard of those, I'll keep that in mind. But yea lol

Oem means like they are made from the origical manufacturer and not rewraped ...the ones u got if they are geniune (i dont mean yours are not) they are one of the good batteries out there its just for the use u want to do with them cause they have large capacity but less amps draw... cause u will see that batteries that have high amp rating tend to have lower capacity...cant have it all :p

164FF016-F4D4-4CD9-BFFA-5633214A61BE.jpeg

Rytis Laurinaitis

Aug 3, 2021
What site did you buy from. There are some EU and UK sites at the bottom of this page that Mooch recommends. They might list the amp ratings too high, but at least they are less likely to get fakes because they are reputable suppliers mooch has dealt with. Never listen to a retailer as far as amp ratings go. Use the list of battery tests from Mooch to find out what the more realistic amp rating is.
Realistic amp rating is 15 or 20a I'm pretty sure, sorry tho didn't have the budget to get really amazing batteries from an extremely trusted site, I just bought them from a local electronic parts shop nearby, called Lemona, here (these are the batteries I bought physically) it doesn't have an english version of the site which is quite sad but whatever, if I'll ever want a more powerful setup I'll just invest and research more. But thanks I'll do that eventually

Rytis Laurinaitis

Aug 3, 2021
Oem means like they are made from the origical manufacturer and not rewraped ...the ones u got if they are geniune (i dont mean yours are not) they are one of the good batteries out there its just for the use u want to do with them cause they have large capacity but less amps draw... cause u will see that batteries that have high amp rating tend to have lower capacity...cant have it all :p

View attachment 951745
Ooohh, well damn, well mine claims to have a large capacity and 30a together (30a, I think that's a lot for amps draw) are there any higher amperage batteries out there? But apparently mine are 20a, damn, I seriously should have looked this up before buying the batteries, mooch is amazing, thanks a bunch :)

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Anyw
Realistic amp rating is 15 or 20a I'm pretty sure, sorry tho didn't have the budget to get really amazing batteries from an extremely trusted site, I just bought them from a local electronic parts shop nearby, called Lemona, here (these are the batteries I bought physically) it doesn't have an english version of the site which is quite sad but whatever, if I'll ever want a more powerful setup I'll just invest and research more. But thanks I'll do that eventually

U have a good setup already...since u are new to rebuildables i guess....get your rda first and learn how to build it properly to get good performance with a more normal build and also to save money unused to spend on disposable coils.... and u gonna enjoy it i am sure...after all u can vape up to 120watts if u want to atm and thats also kinda extreme :D not bad at all

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
In my country also some batteries are impossible to find and also some are on the self unsold for years...

I bought some samsung batteries and i saw a site that u could check their manufacturing date and i saw that they were made 3years ago sooo yeah its a long time and batteries kinda degrade and also a battery that stay on a shelf slowly drops voltage....and its not good for any battery to drop voltage so i was thinking that a battery may say can perform 20a but if its old and used i guess cant perform the same...
Thats why i always try use then a little lower than their max cause most times i cant even know if they are in good condition...
I could buy online from abroad but i am not used to wait....i prefer locally for now...

Rytis Laurinaitis

Aug 3, 2021
In my country also some batteries are impossible to find and also some are on the self unsold for years...

I bought some samsung batteries and i saw a site that u could check their manufacturing date and i saw that they were made 3years ago sooo yeah its a long time and batteries kinda degrade and also a battery that stay on a shelf slowly drops voltage....and its not good for any battery to drop voltage so i was thinking that a battery may say can perform 20a but if its old and used i guess cant perform the same...
Thats why i always try use then a little lower than their max cause most times i cant even know if they are in good condition...
I could buy online from abroad but i am not used to wait....i prefer locally for now...
Yeah I guess, I am totally new to RDAs, just 3 days of research into RDAs and tanks and mods in general so far, and yea sure I'll do that, RDAs are friggin awesome, they have a whole plethora of benefits over normal sub-ohm tanks. Yup I guess it's nice to be able to vape at 120w, though there are so many more powerful mods out there, makes wanna try them out, but eh. Oh and thats kinda cool, yea it's true that batteries degrade over time, lol yea I'm not a patient person either. Sooo if I can vape 120w atm whenever I want, just gotta make sure the batteries don't go over 80 degrees celsius, what would happen if I suddenly vaped 150w? Coils would burn out? I'd get dry hits? is that it? or are there more hazards, such as batteries blowing up?

Last edited:
Reactions: Superuser187

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
Rytis, kudos to you for engaging the conversation and sticking with it. When I was new here I asked some questions and was duly roughed up. You can learn from it or you can get mad, take your vape, and go home. Some people learn the hard way and some people learn the easy way. You'll get lots of good advice here and we will be happy to hear about your progress. We're glad to have you here.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Yeah I guess, I am totally new to RDAs, just 3 days of research into RDAs and tanks and mods in general so far, and yea sure I'll do that, RDAs are friggin awesome, they have a whole plethora of benefits over normal sub-ohm tanks. Yup I guess it's nice to be able to vape at 120w, though there are so many more powerful mods out there, makes wanna try them out, but eh. Oh and thats kinda cool, yea it's true that batteries degrade over time, lol yea I'm not a patient person either. Sooo if I can vape 120w atm whenever I want, just gotta make sure the batteries don't go over 80 degrees celsius, what would happen if I suddenly vaped 150w? Coils would burn out? I'd get dry hits? is that it? or are there more hazards, such as batteries blowing up?

A regulated mod should detect the high drop in voltage that will come if u push the batteries like that and wont fire or warn u that battery is low...but can u trust the safe features of a mod?? I have heard stories about regulated mods fail also....if u see all mods even regulated have holes to vent the gases that batteries will produce in case of a failure and thats why manufacturers advice to use proper batteries...so yeah dont do it...not worth damage your self for something like that...or best case scenario u gonna defenetly damage the batteries

Frist use your rta with a normal coil and then when u learn better u may want to try bigger and get better mod also if needed...i believe u wont but every person is different :D

Also its good to know to build good first cause big coils need little more skills to mount them on an rda and work good without hotspots and cotton properly builded...the dry hits on rda if is build properly wont be problem i guess if u drip juice all the time...

Anyways i think its better and easier to start normal cause u may end up not like big coils not because its not your style but because u cant set them up properly...
Its kinda like trying to race a car when u cant drive very good

Also you i dont know which rda u gonna buy but high wattages like those u think of need rdas that are big like sometimes even 30mm cause they need supply tons of airflow and have much space inside them so they dont heat up much...and with a normal rda wont be pleasantly vapable at 177watts or something sooo high

Usually the mod and the atomizer u use determine how high u can vape...

Except if u like to feel like u vape a flamethrower and burn your tongue... :D

Anyways thats all my opinion u do as u wish man...just dont blow up your face

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Vaping was designed to get people off the cigarettes. 10 to 30 watts is a good range to get the satisfaction from nic and replicate the act of smoking without the dangers of burning tobacco. It seems that vaping has also become a "watch this" activity for some. Pushing the envelope frequently ends in tragedy.

Rytis Laurinaitis

Aug 3, 2021
Rytis, kudos to you for engaging the conversation and sticking with it. When I was new here I asked some questions and was duly roughed up. You can learn from it or you can get mad, take your vape, and go home. Some people learn the hard way and some people learn the easy way. You'll get lots of good advice here and we will be happy to hear about your progress. We're glad to have you here.
Omg thanks so much for welcoming me that warmly. Yup, as days go on and on, the knowledge of the vaping theory will keep increasing lil by lil:)

Rytis Laurinaitis

Aug 3, 2021
A regulated mod should detect the high drop in voltage that will come if u push the batteries like that and wont fire or warn u that battery is low...but can u trust the safe features of a mod?? I have heard stories about regulated mods fail also....if u see all mods even regulated have holes to vent the gases that batteries will produce in case of a failure and thats why manufacturers advice to use proper batteries...so yeah dont do it...not worth damage your self for something like that...or best case scenario u gonna defenetly damage the batteries

Frist use your rta with a normal coil and then when u learn better u may want to try bigger and get better mod also if needed...i believe u wont but every person is different :D

Also its good to know to build good first cause big coils need little more skills to mount them on an rda and work good without hotspots and cotton properly builded...the dry hits on rda if is build properly wont be problem i guess if u drip juice all the time...

Anyways i think its better and easier to start normal cause u may end up not like big coils not because its not your style but because u cant set them up properly...
Its kinda like trying to race a car when u cant drive very good

Also you i dont know which rda u gonna buy but high wattages like those u think of need rdas that are big like sometimes even 30mm cause they need supply tons of airflow and have much space inside them so they dont heat up much...and with a normal rda wont be pleasantly vapable at 177watts or something sooo high

Usually the mod and the atomizer u use determine how high u can vape...

Except if u like to feel like u vape a flamethrower and burn your tongue... :D

Anyways thats all my opinion u do as u wish man...just dont blow up your face
Hmm, honestly I didn't expect it could be so bad, well idk that Voopoo Drag 3 is the most playful mod I know, and it's hella popular too, so it must have relatively foolproof protections. But like damn, best case scenario if my batteries don't explode, I will damage them hm. Well that sucks big time, so basically, if I wanna vape at 177w I need stronger/better batteries? But I'm pretty sure my Drag 3 accepts only 18650 batteries, I kinda can't believe it's impossible to go higher than 120w, it's designed to go all the way up to 177w. Weird stuff. And yup I sure will take my time learning all there is about mods, tanks, coils, in short, everything that relates to vaping. The RDA I bought is quite popular as well, it's a 24mm RDA, it's called "GEN 2 Apocalypse RDA". I know it's definitely not the best RDA out there but for me, a newbie, it will definitely get things done, don't need anything too advanced for a beginner like me. And yee thanks for the tips!

Rytis Laurinaitis

Aug 3, 2021
Vaping was designed to get people off the cigarettes. 10 to 30 watts is a good range to get the satisfaction from nic and replicate the act of smoking without the dangers of burning tobacco. It seems that vaping has also become a "watch this" activity for some. Pushing the envelope frequently ends in tragedy.
Yup, well I'll try all kinds of variations, thanks, what do you suggest for vaping cool? Like, cool vapour, vapour that actually falls down instead of floating or flying up. Higher ohm coil?

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Hmm, honestly I didn't expect it could be so bad, well idk that Voopoo Drag 3 is the most playful mod I know, and it's hella popular too, so it must have relatively foolproof protections. But like damn, best case scenario if my batteries don't explode, I will damage them hm. Well that sucks big time, so basically, if I wanna vape at 177w I need stronger/better batteries? But I'm pretty sure my Drag 3 accepts only 18650 batteries, I kinda can't believe it's impossible to go higher than 120w, it's designed to go all the way up to 177w. Weird stuff. And yup I sure will take my time learning all there is about mods, tanks, coils, in short, everything that relates to vaping. The RDA I bought is quite popular as well, it's a 24mm RDA, it's called "GEN 2 Apocalypse RDA". I know it's definitely not the best RDA out there but for me, a newbie, it will definitely get things done, don't need anything too advanced for a beginner like me. And yee thanks for the tips!

As i said about mods its also a marketing thing...my mod say 200watt and the max it can really go is 180watts in reality with 18650batteries i can use...i just choose to get 20aps batteries to last more and cause i wont go more than 90watts

If u see the picture i posted with reccomended batteries there are some 18650 at 30amps so that means with a couple of those u can get easily the max your mod can give cause they can suplly up to 180watts cause 30x3 =90 watt per battery....ofc if u see the capacity is little smaller so they wont last that much but yeah.....usually people get 2 sets of batteries and swap them if they are outside and run out of battery....is not practical for battery life if that matters to someone but yeah...

Aso about the rda u said its 24mm its normal size and i am pretty sure its gonna be good cause why not...but in my opinion its what i was saying that for me this rda cant work good at those high wattages and huge builds.....after all popular rdas are those that give good flavour cause people dont want to vape that high usually....
I am sure gonna be great not just for a begginer but for everyone so yeah its good...
Also about the coils resistances and wattages i dont know why u say u want to vape 177 watts and i havent seen them but most likely its gonna be way to much power for those coils...
But i guess little lower maybe its ok

To be honest i dont mind ofc u can do as u wish but i must say honestly i am a little worried for you...take care man

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks, hm, I see I see, interesting, thanks for the info, kinda weird I didn't hear anything about that before

Yeah... There is a Lot of Incorrect Information out there regarding how Battery Amp Draw is Calculated for a Regulated Mod.

The Key thing to Remember is that in a Regulated Mod, there is a Board that can Increase/Decrease Voltage between the Battery and the Atomizer. So the Battery Isn't effected by the Ohms of your build because it Can't see them.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Also amother thing is that there is a lot to learn man for example...since we use regulated mods we dont care for resistance and doesnt mean a low ohm coil is for higher wattage nessesarily..

For example i may use a setup of coils that is 0.25ohm and gonna be much more powerfull and vaped at 120watts while someone 0.15 ohm coil be used at 70watts or else gonna be hot af....

I mean its complicated and i cant explain now but u will find out as u try things and learn..

Btw my build atm is 0.13ohm double coil and cant be vaped at more than 75watts without get extremely hot ....i dont mind ofc cause performs great and low wattage is better for battery

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yup, well I'll try all kinds of variations, thanks, what do you suggest for vaping cool? Like, cool vapour, vapour that actually falls down instead of floating or flying up. Higher ohm coil?

IMO... Higher Ohms will be a benefit on Many Levels.

You Don't need Crazy Sky High Watts to get basically the Same Hit.
You aren't Maxing Out a Batteries Amp Rating.
Your Battery Run Time will be Longer.
You Don't need Mods that "say" they can produce Mega-Watts.
The Coil Ramp Up/Ramp Down Time is Quicker.
You might even like the Taste of your e-Liquids Better at more Reasonable Ohms.
etc

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    IMO... Higher Ohms will be a benefit on Many Levels.

You Don't need Crazy Sky High Watts to get basically the Same Hit.
    You aren't Maxing Out a Batteries Amp Rating.
    Your Battery Run Time will be Longer.
    You Don't need Mods that "say" they can produce Mega-Watts.
    The Coil Ramp Up/Ramp Down Time is Quicker.
    You might even like the Taste of your e-Liquids Better at more Reasonable Ohms.
    etc
    Less juice usage as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread