Can Liquid Go Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lefty23

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
Hey gang, it's good to be back. So, as usual I'm looking for your sage advice. I quit vaping for over a year (not a good idea, obviously) and I'm getting back into it. Luckily I kept all of my equipment and liquids so it was an easy transition. Most everything was great, most of the liquids still taste fine. But I had a bunch of Congo Craze from goodejuice, and for some reason it tastes like burnt hair. I even tried it with a brand-new coil and no change. Has anyone experienced anything similar or should I try the same liquid with a different set up? As always, your input is much appreciated.

GPC2012

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Reedley Ca
I've been told a year or two, only been vaping since last Christmas and my oldest juice is from May or June, after reading your post I dripped a little in my 134 with an HH357 long barrel. It was great, I just don't vape that type of juice much anymore. I've been hooked on Bionics flavors and haven't had anything else for over a month. With the exception of a taste or two of a couple for my wife when she can't remember what she's vaping and wants a reload.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
There's a big pile of "it depends."

Liquids with organic flavorings have short shelf life, typically only 90 days. (Give or take.)

Other liquids can be good for up to two years, with a buncha butts thrown in. Nicotine oxidizes with age and how the liquids are stored can accelerate that process. Something like a half empty bottle will be exposed to more oxygen, aging it more. It usually shows as the liquid becoming darker the longer it sits. That oxidation does effect flavor. It just sounds like you hit the one flavoring, combined with nicotine oxidation, that isn't working out so great. (Ick..)

zeppo

Verified Member
Sep 4, 2014
Zeeland, NL
Not good. Flavorings once mixed into liquids do not respond well to refrigeration. It can completely ruin the taste of liquids.

Right on! I will stop doing that, and start to keep m all at roomtemperature, cheers! Ive a long way to go, it appears i have been vaping ignorantly these last 1.5 years :) (no sarcasm!!)

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
I've vaped year old stuff recently and it was totally fine. As good as the day I bought or mixed it. No fancy storage. Just a box in a dark closet.

However, I've had some liquids (typically sweeter ones) change to very dark in a couple months. I won't vape those after they go that route regardless of if they are "ok". Oxidized nic can actually add a pleasant flavor to juice. Kinda like a sweet tobacco leaf note. Hard to describe but definitely not a bad flavor.

VannyPak

Sep 2, 2014
Amarillo, TX
Right on! I will stop doing that, and start to keep m all at room temperature, cheers! I've a long way to go, it appears i have been vaping ignorantly these last 1.5 years :) (no sarcasm!!)

General rule of thumb is keep in a cool dark place at room temperature. I have a shelf in my pantry. Refrigeration causes coagulation in your liquids.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Generally, the accepted life of juices is about two years. Depending on the ingredients, that can shorten. Juices do change in flavor over time and some will vape just fine and create nice clouds after a long storage period, but taste much different.

The key is probably to only buy or make what you can use in six months to be safe.

I recently found that my custard flavors from one Vendor had indeed turned very dark. I taste tested them and found almost no flavor in the juice so poured them out, I had had them about 4 months so will not be buying more than small amount at a time now. As far as glass bursting in freezer, that depends on the type of glass. I only use glass with no seams in it and do not forget you must leave expansion room(head space) in the container as all liquids expand when frozen. I routinely freeze my nicotine in small Jelly sized Mason jars and have had no problems at all. I do put the Jar in a seal a meal wrapper though to stop air infiltration and catch any liquid if the jar gets damaged. :2c: :)

mare ze dotes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
WI/Boston
I have found that it is the bakery type flavors that go dark with age. After that happens I toss them into the baggie in the back of the fridge. I think I will just remove that baggie if it is doing no good anyway. I don't think I will ever vape them. I am pack ratting them. If I had vaping friends I would give them away. :)

Mia11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Michigan
Mine are in plastic 30ml bottles, are these ok for the fridge? I normally do buy 'as and when required' but I can no longer buy the juice I like here in the UK so have to get it from China. It takes a while so I'm better off buying a few.

Yes. It seems to stop time, or slow it greatly. I have tested juices that have been stored in the fridge for a whole year, and they are just fine. However, I am talking here about sealed, unopened glass and plastic bottles, in one of the fruit/veg drawers, in a sealed storage bag, clearly labeled with contents, and with a towel over them to keep the light out. This works very well, in my experience. I'm testing partial, opened bottles stored this way for 6 months, also with good results. It seems to prevent darkening and further steeping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread