Can someone Help me with Wattage calculation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
1.21 Gigawatts
The atomizer, wicking, airflow and juice will also have an equal bearing on the flavour produced.
As suggested start low and increase till vape happiness is achieved.

IS49fFx.jpg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hi, I just got the 8 in 1 pirate coil kit with 8 different sets of coils, I'm trying in a nonmechanical mod with the DejaVu RDA with a dual 0.45 Fused Clapton Coils, and I need help calculating at which wattage should I vape for Maximum Flavor.

Thanks for the help

@Gonzombie
If you are looking for a math solution to wattage, resistance, and voltage, the formula is Power = Voltage x Resistance. In technical circles the official formula is P=EI (power = voltage x resistance).

Those who use mechanical mods know the safety parameters for coil resistance and voltage. You are obviously using a power controlled mod, so crank it up and down and stop when the flavor is to your liking.

Flavor is subject to a multitude of variables. Different juices show their flavor peak at different wattage levels, so there's no single answer to the question you asked.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    No one can tell you what wattage to vape at for max flavor. Flavor is subjective because flavor is taste. Also, it depends on your build and wicking as well as the juice you are using as to how high a wattage you can set for your atomizer before it starts to taste like junk.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Wattage will be different for every flavor. So no calculator would work.
    The end result is only you can adjust "YOUR" wattage for best flavor.

(actually I adjust flavorings in my DIY liquids for the best flavor)
    Life is a little different when you use mechanical mods, wrap your own coils & DIY your own juice.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    As others have said, there's no simple relationship between resistance and ideal wattage. You could get the same resistance with a short length of high gauge (narrow) wire, or a much longer length of a really fat wire, but despite being the same resistance they'd need completely different wattages. With fused claptons, you'd also have to figure in the gauge and length of the wrapping wire.

The short version is that trial and error is the best method for finding the right wattage (for you). Start low and work your way up until you don't like the vape anymore. Then go back down to where it was best.

Good luck!

• Agree
    Reactions: ShowMeTwice

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I'm no expert on this but I do have a simple method that works for me. Install the coil(s) Before you wick them, do a "dry burn" (pulse at lower wattage than you expect to use) do not fry the coil... just get it glowing. Pulse short times to see how fast the coils "ramps up" (heats and glows) Increase wattage a bit at a time and repeat until you find out until you find out how much it takes to SLOWLY make the coil glow. Then go ahead and do the wick(s) When you first vape it (break in) start with that wattage and slowly increase (after a few vapes) until it starts to vape the way you want... no hurry. After a day or so, try even more watts. It depends on your preference... if the vape feels too hot, back off, if it feels weak or takes too long to heat up, increase watts. Less is usually better in my experience. Simple coils (round wire, single core claptons) will heat up fast and need less watts. Fancy coils (double alien, stapled fused triple wrapped... OK, I just made that up but you get the idea... they have more mass and need more watts to ramp up) Keep in mind, the longer it takes a coil to ramp up (heat up) the longer it takes to cool down so might have to pause between vapes. It really is trial and error but paying attention to the initial dry burn is a good indication of what to expect.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    I'm no expert on this but I do have a simple method that works for me. Install the coil(s) Before you wick them, do a "dry burn" (pulse at lower wattage than you expect to use) do not fry the coil... just get it glowing. Pulse short times to see how fast the coils "ramps up" (heats and glows) Increase wattage a bit at a time and repeat until you find out until you find out how much it takes to SLOWLY make the coil glow. Then go ahead and do the wick(s) When you first vape it (break in) start with that wattage and slowly increase (after a few vapes) until it starts to vape the way you want... no hurry. After a day or so, try even more watts. It depends on your preference... if the vape feels too hot, back off, if it feels weak or takes too long to heat up, increase watts. Less is usually better in my experience. Simple coils (round wire, single core claptons) will heat up fast and need less watts. Fancy coils (double alien, stapled fused triple wrapped... OK, I just made that up but you get the idea... they have more mass and need more watts to ramp up) Keep in mind, the longer it takes a coil to ramp up (heat up) the longer it takes to cool down so might have to pause between vapes. It really is trial and error but paying attention to the initial dry burn is a good indication of what to expect.
    When dry burning and tweaking the coils, you left out a step.....let the coil cool down before you install the wicking :D. You know those things are tiny branding irons. Of course, you only brand your fingers real good once and then realize those suckers are still hot lol.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    When dry burning and tweaking the coils, you left out a step.....let the coil cool down before you install the wicking :D. You know those things are tiny branding irons. Of course, you only brand your fingers real good once and then realize those suckers are still hot lol.
    LOL... just did that yesterday ( and I know better) Just didn't wait quite long enough... no burns but a close call ;)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA

Been there, done that. When the red fades on a test fire of an atty the heat dissipates more slowly than you'd think. I've had to Atty Tattoo more than once. You'd think we'd learn after the first time!

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    You've piqued my curiosity

Access Denied
    You don't have permission to access "http://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-capacitor" on this server.
    Reference #18.6da71002.1600797539.87479e9
    Sonic, I copied all from that page...

121g-clean-74511.jpg

Product Information
    • Gigawatts: 121
    • Material Compatibility: Plutonium
    • Working Speed (mph): 88
    • Maximum Power: 121 Gigawatts
    Applications for this Product
    • Modifications: Time Travel
    • Quantity: 1
    Detailed Description
    • Time Travel at your own RISK!
    • Plutonium is required to properly operate the flux capacitor
      • Plutonium is used by the onboard nuclear reactor which then powers the flux capacitor to provide the needed 1.21 gigawatts of electrical power.
      • Plutonium not available and O'Reilly Auto Parts. Please contact your local plutonium supplier.
    • Flux capacitor requires the stainless steel body of a 1981-1983 DeLorean DMC-12 to properly function.
      • Once the time machine travels at 88 mph (142 km/h), light coming from the flux capacitor pulses until it becomes a steady stream of light at which point time travel begins!
    Non-Functional Item Displayed for Entertainment Purposes Only

• Winner
    Reactions: sonicbomb
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread