Status
Not open for further replies.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Smart man. To combat the the wraps on the ends that aren't perfect, make extra wraps in the beginning. Then just pull them off by pulling on the leg while applying pressure to the coil with your finger. Also, I find it works a little better if you grab the outside leg close to the coil with your pliers and slide down the bit to stretch it out...as opposed to fingernails between wraps. Either way, what you did worked great.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
I think what he meant was SS ramps up faster. 2 identical coils, say 6 wraps of kanthal and 6 wraps of SS . The SS will have lower resistance, of course....but, no . It doesn't take twice the power to fire it. I run .3 ohm SS single coils at 25-30 watts and they work great .
SS doesnt ramp up faster then Kanthal, though. I never said SS needs twice the power. Just slightly more, in the 10% range. Most people wont even notice, I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
SS doesnt ramp up faster then Kanthal, though. I never said SS needs twice the power. Just slightly more, in the 10% range. Most people wont even notice, I think.
re-read what I wrote. Are you trying to say a 6 wrap coil of 24 ga kanthal ramps up as fast as a 6 wrap coil of SS? If so, you're wrong.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
hope it vapes as good as it looks?
I love the way it vapes. It's definitely a lot different than the contact coils I was making. I noticed more flavor and more of a smooth controlled vape it that makes sense. I feel like I'm going make spaced coils from now on with this 24G SS. I'm lovin' it.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
re-read what I wrote. Are you trying to say a 6 wrap coil of 24 ga kanthal ramps up as fast as a 6 wrap coil of SS? If so, you're wrong.
Yes, thats what I am saying. Thats also what Physics says.
You know, at some point, after reading numerous arguments on what heats faster then what and everybody having a different list, I actually took the time and looked up the corresponding physical properties (density and specific heat capacity) of the wire materials to find out myself.
You can also use steamengine's wire wizzard to easily see for yourself. Type in a build, any build will do. Look up the value of heat capacity. Change material and look it up again. The lower it is, the faster the build heats up.

I've had this argument alot already. No one has proven me wrong, yet. All I ever hear is subjective perceptions or vage pseudo scientific explanations that prove nothing except that people dont understand basic Physics.

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Yes, thats what I am saying. Thats also what Physics says.
You know, at some point, after reading numerous arguments on what heats faster then what and everybody having a different list, I actually took the time and looked up the corresponding physical properties (density and specific heat capacity) of the wire materials to find out myself.
I've had this argument alot already. No one has proven me wrong, yet. All I ever hear is subjective perceptions or vage pseudo scientific explanations that prove nothing except that people dont understand basic Physics.
Well good for you....I can only speak from actual hands on experience. I'll merrily stand by my statement: A 6 wrap SS coil will ramp up faster under the same power than an identical coil made from kanthal.

Just for kicks, you could always build a Kanthal coil and an SS coil, both 6 wraps, both 3mm id and mount them in an atty. Watch which one glows first.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
Well good for you....I can only speak from actual hands on experience. I'll merrily stand by my statement: A 6 wrap SS coil will ramp up faster under the same power than an identical coil made from kanthal.

Just for kicks, you could always build a Kanthal coil and an SS coil, both 6 wraps, both 3mm id and mount them in an atty. Watch which one glows first.
Yes. Will do.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Yes. Will do.
Forgot to add, vape them both in single coil mode...separately. I'm fairly confident you'll find you don't actually need "10% or so" more power. You'll actually NEED less power with SS than you would with an identical kanthal coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread