Can you charge a 21700 in a Pila charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G and C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
California
Short answer: I don't know. I can't find any Pila chargers that say that they are designed for 21700, but I have found threads both here and on other sites that say people can squeeze them in.

I typically do not mess around with batteries. I only use chargers that are specified to charge the exact battery that I'm charging. Explosions, fires, etc are just not on my short list of things I want to experience. At least not in my own home.

Reactions: stols001

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Measure how much space you have between the charger bay's negative and positive contacts when fully expanded.. If you have 75mm of space or more, then it should fit a 21700 with no probloms. If not, you'll have to buy a charger dedicated to your 21700s. There are many decent chargers that take 21700 bats for under $20..

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Any charger that will accept a 26650 will do fine. My MiBoxer C4 has become my goto charger. It accepts 26650's with almost half an inch to spare in length.

Not true. 26650 is ~65mm in length and 21700 is ~70mm in length. Some chargers are just not designed to take anything over ~65mm in length.

My Efest LUC 4 will not take a 21700 but my LUC 2 will without a problem because the bay spring slide-back contacts go back a good 10mm further than on the LUC 4. Even if you can squeeze a 21700 in a given charger, you have to watch how much clearance you have or you can rip the top of the battery wrap as you push it in and pull it out.

• Agree
    Reactions: HigherStateD

SCOTT-3

ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2012
    london u.k
    Since I started vaping over a decade ago I've been using Pila chargers and hadn't seen a reason to buy anything else.

I'm now looking at a mod that ideally wants a 21700. Will it fit into the Pila? If not, what's a good charger to use with it?
    IMG_20200923_160746.jpg Molicel will fit but tight just take care removeing batt as not to damage wrap,

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Not true. 26650 is ~65mm in length and 21700 is ~70mm in length. Some chargers are just not designed to take anything over ~65mm in length.

My Efest LUC 4 will not take a 21700 but my LUC 2 will without a problem because the bay spring slide-back contacts go back a good 10mm further than on the LUC 4. Even if you can squeeze a 21700 in a given charger, you have to watch how much clearance you have or you can rip the top of the battery wrap as you push it in and pull it out.

These days all I use is the Miboxer C4. It has the length to take a 2x700 with a half inch +/- to spare in the spring contacts. It's the reason my other 4 chargers sit in a drawer. I've ripped and replaced several battery sleeves over time and got tired of tight charger bays. Another reason I like the Miboxer is that it provides a rotating display that includes internal resistance. That's an easy way to keep tabs on cell condition.

Last edited:

KonaNeil

ECF Veteran
    Jul 29, 2009
    Big Island, Hawaii
    These days all I use is the Miboxer C4. It has the length to take a 2x700 with a half inch +/- to spare in the spring contacts. It's the reason my other 4 chargers sit in a drawer. I've ripped and replaced several battery sleeves over time and got tired of tight charger bays. Another reason I like the Miboxer is that it provides a rotating display that includes internal resistance. That's an easy way to keep tabs on cell condition.

It sounds like Miboxer is the Pila of today. If I don't need four bays is there any reason to get the C4 over the C2?

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    It sounds like Miboxer is the Pila of today. If I don't need four bays is there any reason to get the C4 over the C2?

The cost difference between most 2-bay and 4-bay chargers is so small that it's usually more worthwhile to get a 4-bay charger.

JMHO.

Fstop

ECF Veteran
    Sep 11, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    A lot of the Xtar chargers are made to take 21700 batteries. The VC4 and VC2 both take them.
    I got XTAR MC2 PLUS - Micro USB Li-ion Battery Charger it was cheap but its Performance isn't Cheap. I prefer the 2Bay So I can recharge one battery while using the other lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread