Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Red flags raised over anti-smoking guide

The Canadian Cancer Society is about to publish an update to its guide that helps smokers who want to quit.

It cost $75,000 to redevelop the popular book, One Step at a Time, but the national charity didn't have to worry about the price. That's because it asked Pfizer Canada, the country's largest maker of nicotine replacement therapy products, to pay the cost.

Pharmaceutical giants are some of the top financial contributors to groups such as the Canadian Lung Association, the Canadian Cancer Society, the Toronto-based Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, and others.

:facepalm:

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com
It appears the story is actually from January 2007.

But this in no way undermines the facts and details behind the relationships between the charities & the drug dealers.

And it affirms our suspicions that these shenanigans have been being played on the public for a very long time.

Good find there AgentAnia!

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Maybe and maybe not OT but does anyone think there's an increase for various BP cessation products ads at least on TV. Maybe I just notice them more now but I think they've increased recently.

Probably (at least in part) due to the FDA relaxing the length of time they can (legally) be used/recommended too.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Maybe and maybe not OT but does anyone think there's an increase for various BP cessation products ads at least on TV. Maybe I just notice them more now but I think they've increased recently.

Yes, I've noticed this too. (Along with a huge increase in the number of ads for prescription-only drugs, especially on the cable news channels. Hmmm...)

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com

Now that you mention it...

Possibly in response to the exponential growth in the e-cig / vaping categories.

SonicDSL: Probably (at least in part) due to the FDA relaxing the length of time they can (legally) be used/recommended too.

Interesting about the endorsement for long-term use too.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
It actually is a very good article ...

For Dr. Jerome Kassirer, professor at the Tufts University School of Medicine and editor-in-chief emeritus of the New England Journal of Medicine, the issue is simple: consumers have no way of knowing if they're listening to a sales pitch from a drug company that's disguised as advice from a charity.

"Would the pharmaceutical companies spend billions of dollars a year if they didn't think it was valuable?" he said. "Of course not."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread