Car Adapter Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davo

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Heart of Dixie
From the "for what it's worth" department. My Vapor King Car Adapter (Cig lighter to USB) started blowing the fuse in my truck and upon initial investigation I noticed "things" rattling inside, which didn't seem to be a good thing. My curiousity got the best of me and I decided to take it apart and see what's up. To my surprise it comes apart without having to distroy it... unscrew the end cap that has the center post (the springy part that goes all the way in the lighter socket) and remove the fuse and the chrome ring. Then the two halves will seperate, note that it hinges at the rear (the end with the USB connection). What I found rattling inside was pieces of plastic that held the outer contacts in place and this was allowing them to contact the center conductor (spring and fuse). Not to be outdone... I simply wrapped the two outer contacts with insulating material (tape or what ever), carefully reassembled the two halves and inserted the fuse, chrome ring and screwed the cap back on. It works better than ever.

Note: when insulating the outer springs be sure to also cover the area that will be closest to the end where the cap screws on. I basically cover them completely and once re-assembled I trimmed the tape off from the area where the outer contacts will make contact to the cig lighter socket.

OR... you could chunk it and buy another one, LOL -- I'm cheap!!!

Sallyem

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
California
I haven't tried my Car Adapter yet. I got it as a prize during the Pilgrim thing. My lighter is stuck and when I try to
remove it, it seems to be stuck and falling apart. Someday will have a mechanic-type person try to remove it. It
may have ruined my connection inside...but I won't know until I get the darn lighter out of it. LOL. Thanks for
your information!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread