Car pass-through

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Brag

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Nebraska
Does anyone make a pass-through that works off of a 12v cigarette lighter for while you are driving. I just spent the whole morning trying to make one. I found an old phone charger that was 3.7 volts. After I got it together I hooked a volt meter to it and got 3.7 volts when I hit the switch. When I put an atomizer on it I got nothing. I noticed that the light on the 12v adapter would go out every time I hit the switch. I guess there must be something in it that shuts it down if there is an overload. It sure would be nice to have one to save batteries while I am driving, but I never have seen one advertised anywhere. Has anyone seen one?

casual_t

Apr 1, 2010
the OC, SoCal
What kind of atty are you using? I made one similar to what you did for the dse 901 and it worked fine. I made another for a cartomizer that fits the generic Smoking Everywhere model (I forget the model number), and no go. It took just about a full 5v to get it to heat up. I'd go with the suggestions above and get a USB adapter for the lighter and put a USB male plug on the end of your passthough. The black and red wires are the power lines in a USB plug. If you just want to buy one, there are plenty of passthroughs that use USB on the market for the 901 and 510, both manual and automatic.

No Brag

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Nebraska
I went with Uncle Screwtapes idea, but jumped it up to 1000mAh then waited 4 weeks for it to get here. It didn't work either. I have a passthrough that I bought that hooks up to it, but there still isn't enough power to make it work.
What kind of atty are you using? I made one similar to what you did for the dse 901 and it worked fine. I made another for a cartomizer that fits the generic Smoking Everywhere model (I forget the model number), and no go. It took just about a full 5v to get it to heat up. I'd go with the suggestions above and get a USB adapter for the lighter and put a USB male plug on the end of your passthough. The black and red wires are the power lines in a USB plug. If you just want to buy one, there are plenty of passthroughs that use USB on the market for the 901 and 510, both manual and automatic.

casual_t

Apr 1, 2010
the OC, SoCal
???? 5v and 1 mAh should be plenty of juice for most devices. I've had some adapters come DOA, and I've had some just die from use. The one I'm currently using came from Wal-mart (the automotive department) and cost $6. It's held out the longest of any that I've had. Have you checked with a multimeter to see if there's power at the passthrough?

I've also had automatic pass-thoughs die because of e-juice gumming up the switch. Is your passthough automatic or manual?

No Brag

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Nebraska
It is manual and so was the one before it. They both work great when hooked up to the computer, but not with the wall adapter or the car adapter. I haven't checked with a volt meter yet and can't right now because my pass-through is at work. I will check, but don't know what that will tell me if it works on the PC but not on anything else.

casual_t

Apr 1, 2010
the OC, SoCal
It is manual and so was the one before it. They both work great when hooked up to the computer, but not with the wall adapter or the car adapter. I haven't checked with a volt meter yet and can't right now because my pass-through is at work. I will check, but don't know what that will tell me if it works on the PC but not on anything else.

It sounds like you may have a bum adapter or you're car's lighter socket may not be working properly. Have you tried it in a different car?

If you hook your manual passthrough to the adapter (without an atty attached), you can check to see if there's enough power coming through the adapter by putting the multi meter probes on each "side" of the circuit in the atty socket while pushing the passthrough button (a little tricky with only two hands).

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Ohms law, 5V and 1A isn't enough for most atties/cartos.

I = V/R. If you have a classic USB passthrough it is just taking the incoming 5V from the USB and passing it to the battery connector via the switch.

A standard 808 carto is 3 ohms. 5/3 = 1.67 amps rating needed on the adapter, else it's over-stressed (it may not work at all, it may perform really poorly, or worst case it may fry).

2A cig lighter adapters aren't all that pricey, really good to have. I've been using this one for the last 5 months, daily:
Vapor4Life- Electronic Cigarette: Vapor King Charger

Concerning wall adapters, same thing -- you need one rated for 2A (2000 mA) output. The adapters that come with ecigs, even for big battery versions, aren't rated that high. I've been using the IQ dual USB adapter for several months, they're solid, rated for 2A (sum of amps used on both ports), under $10 via Walmart online, or $6 if you buy from tas electronics (there's a post in the general Suppliers forum, pretty sure tas still had some in stock, at least as of the end of last week)

With a 2A adapter I can even use a 2.6 ohm carto on my 808 PT -- I've odne that at work before, though frankly it's too hot for most juice.

Last edited:

No Brag

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Nebraska
First casual_t I'd like to thank you for all of your help. I tried all the things that you have suggested before I started this thread. Just for the heck of it I tried them all again just now. I couldn't last night because my pass-through was at work. The volt reading for the pass-through is 4.5 volts on the car adapter as well as the wall adapter and PC USB port. With an atty on the pass-through there is nothing (no vapor or noise or heat)on the wall adapter or the car adapter. It really works great on the PC USB port. (vapor immediately when I hit the switch) It is a puzzle to me. Again, thanks for you advice.
It sounds like you may have a bum adapter or you're car's lighter socket may not be working properly. Have you tried it in a different car?

If you hook your manual pass-through to the adapter (without an atty attached), you can check to see if there's enough power coming through the adapter by putting the multi meter probes on each "side" of the circuit in the atty socket while pushing the pass-through button (a little tricky with only two hands).

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Actually, that's why you need that higher powered adapter --4.5V with any normal carto or atty is going to mean you need a supply rated at > 1 amp.

That it might work on a given PC is also not that surprising -- I can run my PT at work on like 1 or 2 of the docking station ports, though it doesn't work on other ports, or on my USB powered hub, or ... It just so happens that those couple of ports are able to source enough amps, while the other ports, operated off of a different underlying USB chipset, cannot.

Powering a PT off of a PC is kind of iffy, overall, in that you could toast the PC if you have a short in an atty or carto. A classic passthrough has zero protection, you will short the power on the USB which can have knock-on effects toasting other PC elements.

First casual_t I'd like to thank you for all of your help. I tried all the things that you have suggested before I started this thread. Just for the heck of it I tried them all again just now. I couldn't last night because my pass-through was at work. The volt reading for the pass-through is 4.5 volts on the car adapter as well as the wall adapter and PC USB port. With an atty on the pass-through there is nothing (no vapor or noise or heat)on the wall adapter or the car adapter. It really works great on the PC USB port. (vapor immediately when I hit the switch) It is a puzzle to me. Again, thanks for you advice.

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
If you hook your manual passthrough to the adapter (without an atty attached), you can check to see if there's enough power coming through the adapter by putting the multi meter probes on each "side" of the circuit in the atty socket while pushing the passthrough button (a little tricky with only two hands).

Yes and no. You'll get a voltage reading....and that's it. You need to have enough current behind that voltage to fire that atomizer.
I can string up 8 AA batteries to push 12 volts all day long but it ain't gonna start my truck.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
The wall adapters, the IQ dual USB ones, are rated for 2A total output -- I've been using one with a PT for multiple months, with a phone charger plugged into the second USB outlet on it.

(the 2A is total -- you can't run, for instance, two PT simultaneously off of it)

The Walmart ones may only be available online. This is exactly the product I'm using:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/iQ-Power-Dual-USB-AC-Power-Adapter/14690605

The 2A car adapters are likely in stock at V4L and other ECF Suppliers, and some of them may have 2A wall adapters.

Last edited:

Prodigal441

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
NH
Does anyone make a pass-through that works off of a 12v cigarette lighter for while you are driving. I just spent the whole morning trying to make one. I found an old phone charger that was 3.7 volts. After I got it together I hooked a volt meter to it and got 3.7 volts when I hit the switch. When I put an atomizer on it I got nothing. I noticed that the light on the 12v adapter would go out every time I hit the switch. I guess there must be something in it that shuts it down if there is an overload. It sure would be nice to have one to save batteries while I am driving, but I never have seen one advertised anywhere. Has anyone seen one?

I had issues with using my PT in my car. I got a 12v car to USB adapter and a new PT that had the inline battery. The car will charge the battery and the battery will provide the needed curent when you push the button to vape. This has been the only way I could get it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread