Carolina Xtract Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan_Drury

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2018
20190330_054448.png

Just picked up 2 of these. Will post my thoughts on any impact it seems to have on recipes vs liquid nicotine wholesalers product when it comes to flavor.

Anyone else have experience with this product?

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
yeah they were the folks I did business with....now I vape nic salts, but when I vape free base nic...it's carolina extracts...I would like to learn how to make my own nic salts and when I do I'll be using Carolina extracts to make them with. they cost more than everybody else but they are really clean tasting....and good people.

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
yeah they were the folks I did business with....now I vape nic salts, but when I vape free base nic...it's carolina extracts...I would like to learn how to make my own nic salts and when I do I'll be using Carolina extracts to make them with. they cost more than everybody else but they are really clean tasting....and good people.

They make nicotine salt now

Morgan_Drury

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2018

IMG_1463.PNG

Morgan_Drury

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2018

I noticed this too. Also the smell of a freshly opened bottle is very different.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I hate the term “salt”. Marketing garbage. It’s nicotine benzoate in this case.

I’m avoiding unprotonated nicotines myself until there’s actual fact based research by someone other than JUUL. Past experience implies privatized science is way too often self serving garbage arranged by marketing departments.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

Morgan_Drury

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2018

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I hate the term “salt”. Marketing garbage. It’s nicotine benzoate in this case.

I’m avoiding unprotonated nicotines myself until there’s actual fact based research by someone other than JUUL. Past experience implies privatized science is way too often self serving garbage arranged by marketing departments.
Not sure what you mean here, Bomb. What kind of research are you wanting- safety/health? You say "other than Juul," and they didn't do any research on safety, so I'm thinking you must mean something else. Wondering what you want to see- what concerns you about benzoate that doesn't about freebase?

Reactions: stols001

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
I was considering trying it out but based on that image it is more than 5.5 times more expensive than what I am using. I am content enough with what I have that I question if this could possibly be 5.5 times better.
people all have different priorities...personally I wouldn't spend 50 cents to go watch a proffesional football game on the 50 yardline.but other people.........

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Not sure what you mean here, Bomb. What kind of research are you wanting- safety/health? You say "other than Juul," and they didn't do any research on safety, so I'm thinking you must mean something else. Wondering what you want to see- what concerns you about benzoate that doesn't about freebase?
Correct. No one has done any research on safety at all, and the stuff done on function was all done by JUUL. What concerns me about benzoate is while safety research WAS done on traditional nic, or freebase, or unprotonated nic, or whatever you want to call it (it’s all the same). Nicotine benzoate does appear to be the least potentially dangerous of the various “salts” from what limited and partial research got pried out of the hands of JUUL using that class action addiction lawsuit. (I still need to read the particulars of the ruling. I don’t know if it was based on lack of proven issue or a technicality). Details seem hard to google.

Benzoic acid itself appears to be fairly innocuous. They put it in a lot of soft drinks even back when regulators still cared whether something wouldn’t kill the public or not. It does seem to be a fungicide and an insecticide which means not all creatures like it. Sodium benzoate (which is just as much a “salt” as “nic salts”) is used as a common food preservative.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/benzoates.
Sodium benzoate does NOT do the same things table salt does though and doesn’t taste salty iirc.
Nicotine benzoate MIGHT be fine compared to unprotonated nic. It MIGHT even be better. It also MIGHT be worse though. Possibly a lot worse. No one has even looked. The research JUUL was forced to give up though does imply it’s possibly a good bit more addictive though because of the shape of the graph. Again, no one knows, or if they do they aren’t telling, which IMHO is a lot worse.

Myself I’m sticking with the only one so far that was tested. Traditional nic.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Correct. No one has done any research on safety at all, and the stuff done on function was all done by JUUL. What concerns me about benzoate is while safety research WAS done on traditional nic, or freebase, or unprotonated nic, or whatever you want to call it (it’s all the same). Nicotine benzoate does appear to be the least potentially dangerous of the various “salts” from what limited and partial research got pried out of the hands of JUUL using that class action addiction lawsuit. (I still need to read the particulars of the ruling. I don’t know if it was based on lack of proven issue or a technicality). Details seem hard to google.

Benzoic acid itself appears to be fairly innocuous. They put it in a lot of soft drinks even back when regulators still cared whether something wouldn’t kill the public or not. It does seem to be a fungicide and an insecticide which means not all creatures like it. Sodium benzoate (which is just as much a “salt” as “nic salts”) is used as a common food preservative.
Sodium benzoate does NOT do the same things table salt does though and doesn’t taste salty iirc.
Nicotine benzoate MIGHT be fine compared to unprotonated nic. It MIGHT even be better. It also MIGHT be worse though. Possibly a lot worse. No one has even looked. The research JUUL was forced to give up though does imply it’s possibly a good bit more addictive though because of the shape of the graph. Again, no one knows, or if they do they aren’t telling, which IMHO is a lot worse.

There is a study that WHO did on benzoic acid but it wasnt directed at vaping. Still interesting. https://www.who.int/ipcs/publications/cicad/cicad26_rev_1.pdf

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL

Gotcha. A valid concern. Myself, I'm not as worried, but that may not be justified. The fungicide and insecticide reference? Maybe, but PG has been used as a bacteriacide since the 1940's, so not all life agrees with it, either. And nicotine itself is a potent insecticide.

I did make one layman's assumption (that could be incorrect) that since salts are more pH neutral, and cause less irritation, this could actually mean less inflammation - a good thing, as we're beginning to learn how dangerous any inflammation can be (the book Grain Brain really is enlightening!).

Truth be told, though, my experimentation with salts is about over. I like freebase TH, and have to use really high nic levels with salts, and it just tastes/feels different. I made it a couple of years with freebase, and while I'm not scared to death of nic intake, I see no reason to try to increase it. But that quick absorption rate would've helped me a lot my first month or so of quitting smokes.

BTW- I really wasn't aware of safety testing on freebase. Can you point me to it?

And for those of you old enough for the reference: sorry for forcing this landing in Cuba.

Morgan_Drury

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2018

Bad Science and Benzene

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

I totally agree that no research has been done so we just don't know. I still use it though because due to my wife I have to. She needs at least 6mg/ml nic concentration to stay off cigarettes but anything more than 3mg/ml of base sends her into coughing fits. So I make our juice as 3mg/ml base and 3mg/ml salts. So unless it turns out to actually be worse than smoking, I think we are good. Also not all salts are Nicotine benzoate. Some use citric acid and I think some may use ascorbic acid (Vitamin C). I am not even sure which one mine is. I use the NicRiver Smooth salts. All of the different salts may have different benefits and risks. So it's going to take a LOT of studying to ever know for sure. Maybe some are safer than others maybe not. My guess is that they are all better than smoking.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I know that Nic River doesn't use Benzoic acid because they say so. I don't know what they use (I wanna say citric) but I'm not 100% on it.

I will say, if there were something desperately bad about most of them, my doctors would NOT have been saying the super nice things they have about my lungs....

Although to be fair, it probably takes a GREAT deal to top an over 20 year, 3 ppd habit. So my guess is, something subtle as far as wrong. But I've been vaping salts pretty much the whole time.

So, I'm thinking they may not be as bad as oh, arsenic but maybe something in the middle.

I don't care to speculate. What is, is. I used to be able to bike over a hundred miles in a day and actually ENJOY it. That was pre smoking.

Anna

Reactions: Falconeer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread