Status
Not open for further replies.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
I know that Nic River doesn't use Benzoic acid because they say so. I don't know what they use (I wanna say citric) but I'm not 100% on it.

I will say, if there were something desperately bad about most of them, my doctors would NOT have been saying the super nice things they have about my lungs....

Although to be fair, it probably takes a GREAT deal to top an over 20 year, 3 ppd habit. So my guess is, something subtle as far as wrong. But I've been vaping salts pretty much the whole time.

So, I'm thinking they may not be as bad as oh, arsenic but maybe something in the middle.

I don't care to speculate. What is, is. I used to be able to bike over a hundred miles in a day and actually ENJOY it. That was pre smoking.

Anna
Thats the one I use and Im pretty sure its citric acid. Since all they are really doing is altering the PH of the nic with citric acid I highly doubt its any worse than freebase. Anything is possible but I doubt it.

• Agree
Reactions: ScottP

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
There is a study that WHO did on benzoic acid but it wasnt directed at vaping. Still interesting. https://www.who.int/ipcs/publications/cicad/cicad26_rev_1.pdf
Skimmed the article.
The impression I got from reading it is it’s sort of toxic, but barely. The reader here didn’t have much funding so they did a few tests on lab animals only, and they didn’t have a lot of time to do it so they had to work fast. They tested gigantic amounts of benzoic acid and sodium benzoate and got Less reaction than expected. Toxicity can happen but the required amounts are huge. Also it tends not to build up much, or cause huge environmental effects because while it doesn’t degrade quickly, it still degrades.
The smaller the organism the less they like it, partially because it’s toxic by relative amount, and it’s easy to make the levels high in really small creatures, though fish are particularly susceptible. (Gills I am personally suspecting) The testing was really limited though. They were only set up to test for things like death, organ failure, and gross environmental effects. It might have subtle effects but those were outside the range of the study.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Gotcha. A valid concern. Myself, I'm not as worried, but that may not be justified. The fungicide and insecticide reference? Maybe, but PG has been used as a bacteriacide since the 1940's, so not all life agrees with it, either. And nicotine itself is a potent insecticide.

I did make one layman's assumption (that could be incorrect) that since salts are more pH neutral, and cause less irritation, this could actually mean less inflammation - a good thing, as we're beginning to learn how dangerous any inflammation can be (the book Grain Brain really is enlightening!).

Truth be told, though, my experimentation with salts is about over. I like freebase TH, and have to use really high nic levels with salts, and it just tastes/feels different. I made it a couple of years with freebase, and while I'm not scared to death of nic intake, I see no reason to try to increase it. But that quick absorption rate would've helped me a lot my first month or so of quitting smokes.

BTW- I really wasn't aware of safety testing on freebase. Can you point me to it?
The
And for those of you old enough for the reference: sorry for forcing this landing in Cuba.
I am perhaps being assumptive. I’m mostly assuming it had to happen because of the very existence of both prescription and non prescription nicotine products. Because they were medications rather than “tobacco products” the standards of safety were much higher and they would have had to go through standard procedures.
iirc the safety testing was done by a couple of the big pharmaceutical companies regarding the patch and aerosol nicotine inhalers. Not vaping specifically. Unprotonated nic mor or less ignores tissue barriers though so any methodology is going to wind up pretty similar. They had to pass full on FDA drug panels and do long term testing to get prescription oks, then they had to do even more rigorous long term stuff to get it OKed for OTC.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yep. That’s benzine though. A couple Letters make all the difference with chemical names. If nicotine benzoate degrades into benzine when the nicotine portion is stripped off (which it has to be or else it would never cross the blood brain barrier) that might be something, or not, depending on concentration. More stuff we just don’t know.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
yeah they were the folks I did business with....now I vape nic salts, but when I vape free base nic...it's carolina extracts...I would like to learn how to make my own nic salts and when I do I'll be using Carolina extracts to make them with. they cost more than everybody else but they are really clean tasting....and good people.
High quality is a big deal, and while nic is expensive it’s not something you want to scrimp on either. I may have to check them out.

AFAIK nicotine benzoate should be pretty darn easy to make. Cook it in a pot, more or less. Or even just leave it in a pot and wait. When you mix acids and bases they just naturally form salts. It may or may not be exothermic. I don’t know. If it is it’s certainly not highly exothermic.

• Agree
Reactions: NolaMel

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I totally agree that no research has been done so we just don't know. I still use it though because due to my wife I have to. She needs at least 6mg/ml nic concentration to stay off cigarettes but anything more than 3mg/ml of base sends her into coughing fits. So I make our juice as 3mg/ml base and 3mg/ml salts. So unless it turns out to actually be worse than smoking, I think we are good.
I kinda doubt that one too.
Also not all salts are Nicotine benzoate. Some use citric acid and I think some may use ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).
salicylic acid and lactic acid I’ve both heard of being done. It will work with basically anything. Just about any acid will make a “salt”, and there are hundreds.
I am not even sure which one mine is. I use the NicRiver Smooth salts. All of the different salts may have different benefits and risks. So it's going to take a LOT of studying to ever know for sure. Maybe some are safer than others maybe not. My guess is that they are all better than smoking.
I’d call it better than even money. Whether they’re safer than unprotonated or not is up in the air though.

• Agree

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Yep. That’s benzine though. A couple Letters make all the difference with chemical names. If nicotine benzoate degrades into benzine when the nicotine portion is stripped off (which it has to be or else it would never cross the blood brain barrier) that might be something, or not, depending on concentration. More stuff we just don’t know.

It absolutely can degrade into benzine but so can PG and VG. The good news is that the temp required to do so is quite a bit higher than anyone would vape at. Well unless they happen to like the taste of dry hits, charred wick, and burned flavorings. Even then the levels of benzine in the vapor is still going to be less than in cigarette smoke.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It absolutely can degrade into benzine but so can PG and VG. The good news is that the temp required to do so is quite a bit higher than anyone would vape at. Well unless they happen to like the taste of dry hits, charred wick, and burned flavorings. Even then the levels of benzine in the vapor is still going to be less than in cigarette smoke.
That’s outside the body though. Inside the body there are all kinds of weird chemical level activators and catylists. There are several drugs that turn into different chemicals almost immediately upon hitting the bloodstream. We just don’t know what the various protonated compounds do when they get there.

• Agree

TonyD64

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I'm considering buying a 120ml bottle of the 100mg VG and my recipe is pictured. How long can the bottle sit in the fridge if I'm only using 1.2ml per 30ml bottle before it begins to oxidize and would negate the original benefit over the I suppose Chinese Nicotine were all probably using now.

Attachments

• 20190513_213121.jpg
    20190513_213121.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 18

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm considering buying a 120ml bottle of the 100mg VG and my recipe is pictured. How long can the bottle sit in the fridge if I'm only using 1.2ml per 30ml bottle before it begins to oxidize and would negate the original benefit over the I suppose Chinese Nicotine were all probably using now.
Do the Pepsi challenge of the the cheap stuff vs Carolina vapes. Nonpercievable difference. Both were less than dead clear. I’m a bit annoyed actually. Nic used to be better than this.

TonyD64

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I guess to start the only way for me to know will be by taste in an unflavored mix. While the Carolina Nicotine sounds attractive because it's USA grown and processed the final judgement will be by taste and relaxation effect. I just don't want to waste any money if it cant be stored for the period it will take me to use up the bottle at 1.2ml per 30ml bottle because that's 83.333333333 mixes and it'll take me a long time to Vape it all. If it can be stored in the fridge and not get an off taste for the duration I think it's worth it. If not, no.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I guess to start the only way for me to know will be by taste in an unflavored mix. While the Carolina Nicotine sounds attractive because it's USA grown and processed the final judgement will be by taste and relaxation effect. I just don't want to waste any money if it cant be stored for the period it will take me to use up the bottle at 1.2ml per 30ml bottle because that's 83.333333333 mixes and it'll take me a long time to Vape it all. If it can be stored in the fridge and not get an off taste for the duration I think it's worth it. If not, no.
The problem I had is my bottle did not seem Uber fresh. I’ve got it in the fridge now.

Lowjumper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2015
Union Mills NC
I hate the term “salt”. Marketing garbage. It’s nicotine benzoate in this case.

I’m avoiding unprotonated nicotines myself until there’s actual fact based research by someone other than JUUL. Past experience implies privatized science is way too often self serving garbage arranged by marketing departments.

Yup the term "salt" is just marketing! Salt type nic, for the lack of a better term, have been around for a long time. The first was Vermont Vapor's 36mg/ml started in 2009. They used citric acid to reduce odor and to make it smother.
The easy way to see if your nic. is non protonated is to use a PH meter. Non protonated nic will have a PH of 10.9 or so.
A good place to find some of the history of our nic. is the Nicotine Comparisons thread, starting around page 232, have fun, lots of good info!

• Informative
Reactions: bombastinator

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
More off the wall B.S.! Rts Vapes used to say there nic. was grown and processed in N.C. , then they dropped that clam, then they went out of business (more or less).
Read someplace ???? that it would cost 2000.00 a liter for nic. if it was produced in the United Stated :shock:.
This strikes me as unlikely. If they were extracting it from retail cigs maybe. Farmers produce is equivalently priced the world over though. They’d have to grow a strain of high nic tobacco, but that’s doable. They’d also need highly automated equipment to keep labor costs down. That’s doable too though.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I just don't want to waste any money if it cant be stored for the period it will take me to use up the bottle at 1.2ml per 30ml bottle because that's 83.333333333 mixes and it'll take me a long time to Vape it all. If it can be stored in the fridge and not get an off taste for the duration I think it's worth it. If not, no.
I am not sure I understand your math.:confused: If you are buying a 120mL bottle, and using 1.2mL per batch; you should be able to make 100 batches. :)

At any rate, the three most controllable influences to nicotine degradation; are light (UV), heat, and air (oxygen).

Light can be controlled by using amber or cobalt blue bottles. A secondary opaque container; such as a cardboard box, or wrapping the bottle in foil. Or, simply storing the nic in a dark environment.

@Rossum did an informative experiment, regarding temperature (freezer vs. room temp; as well as glass vs. plastic), and shared his results in this thread. His results support the generally accepted idea that "cooler is better than warmer." Nic stored in the fridge; will last longer than nic stored at room temp. Nic stored in the freezer; will last longer than nic stored in the fridge.

Air exposure can be a greater challenge. Glass is preferred to plastic. Though, in Rossum's tests, his samples stored in PET plastic bottle showed little difference to the glass samples. More problematic is opening the bottle (which allows fresh air/more oxygen to enter). And, increasing airspace, as the volume of liquid is removed.

These last two can be better controlled by re-bottling the nic into smaller containers. Breaking down the 120mL, into two 60mL bottles, or even four 30mL bottles, helps to protect the nicotine in the undisturbed bottles.

The one additional concern I have about the Carolina product is: the use of an eyedropper cap. The rubber used to make the soft dropper bulb (and often the cap seal as well) is quite gas-permeable. Which means it is just one more entry point for air. This alone would make me re-bottle. Or, find a more appropriate solid cap.

So, @TonyD64, if I were in your shoes, and wanted to extend shelf life as long as possible; I would consider breaking down the original bottle, into smaller (non-eyedropper capped bottles). And, store all but the one bottle currently in use, in the freezer (vs. the fridge). The working bottle I would keep in the fridge. That should easily move longevity into terms of years.
:thumb:

TonyD64

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
OK thanks for the info. The reason I mentioned the fridge is because Carolina tells you not to freeze the bottle of any bottle of Nicotine. I don't know enough about Nicotine yet to think that's right or not but it seems like a better way to store it to me. The 83.3333 figure comes from the calculator pic that I posted 100mg Nic to a 4mg strength would be 1.2ml in the batch with 10-20% water and VG added for a 30ml batch. If it can be frozen without any adverse effects for long term storage it's worth a try for at least one bottle. In the 98 day's since I've quit smoking I've saved $619.36 at the gas station price where I was buying Cigs so the $22.00 cost is not really an issue for the flavor test but $13.00 for shipping seems high. I'll repeat it again, in 98 day's I've saved $619.36 lol. Thanks again for the reply.

Reactions: IDJoel

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
If it can be frozen without any adverse effects for long term storage it's worth a try for at least one bottle.
Nic base can definitely be stored in the freezer. It will get more viscous, but it will not undergo a phase-change to solid.

I've not compared long-term storage in the freezer vs. the refrigerator, only freezer vs. room temperature, and based on that, I have to say: Colder is better.

I've also used nic base that's been in cold (freezer) storage for five years and it was good as new; completely clear and with no "oxidized nic" taste.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
The 83.3333 figure comes from the calculator pic that I posted 100mg Nic to a 4mg strength would be 1.2ml in the batch with 10-20% water and VG added for a 30ml batch.
Still not understanding the 83.3333 ... even after looking at your calc screen shot. 120mL ÷ 1.20mL = 100... regardless of what ever else is included. 120mL divided into 83.3333 equal portions would result in a portion size of 1.44000576002304. 1.44mL of 100mg/mL nic in a 30mL recipe; would result in a 4.8mg/mL nicotine strength.
The reason I mentioned the fridge is because Carolina tells you not to freeze the bottle of any bottle of Nicotine.
I read that too. I think(?) they are using the word "freeze," in the true chemistry/physics sense of the word; meaning when a liquid becomes a solid. As @Rossum mentioned; a household freezer does not get cold enough to freeze PG or VG based nicotine concentrate. Freezer storage is how many of us are storing our long-term nicotine supplies.

To be certain, you could e-mail Carolina Extracts, and ask for clarification.

You might also like to read this pinned thread about nicotine storage. It was written by Dr. Kurt Kistler, a chemistry professor at a Pennsylvania university, and very involved in vaping/e-liquid research.
Long Term Nic Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread