Cart question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreverT

Sep 10, 2010
Greensboro, NC
I'm having some annoying difficulties. Just recently received my 601 and love it - It's my first experience with an e-anything, and I think I'm going to enjoy it. But, I guess I need cartridge loading tips. The three pre-loaded carts that came with it all smoke great, producing lots of vapor and flavor with no problems. However, I got some empty carts and some different flavors, and have loaded up a couple of carts myself, but they don't perform nearly as well. LOTS of puffing produces very little vapor at all. Can any experienced folks give me any tips as to what I'm doing wrong?

DallasEd

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I’ve been using the 601 for almost 5 months now and have learned a few tricks. If vapor production is down, it’s time to reload more juice and probably the battery too. I take the white filler out of the carts and put in the blue foam. It seems to wick better. I’ll put about 20 drops in a new cart, but never re-fill more than 12. Too much juice floods the atty and it won’t vape as well.

A drop in vapor production is also a sign to put in a new battery. I find that a battery will last me 3-4 hours until it’s time to put in a new one. I don’t always wait for the green light to start flashing to change out the battery. If the pipe is not giving me a good thick vapor, and the cart takes less than 12 drops to top it off (you don’t want a pool of juice on top of the cart ever when you re-fill), then it’s time to change the battery.

I carry a 10mil bottle of juice and 2 extra batteries with me at all times. I vape like crazy - all the time. I bought 7 batteries and keep three in the charger at home all the time. I bought three chargers and put them in a surge protector strip and leave them in there till it’s time to put in the old batteries. Haven’t had a battery fail yet, but nothing last forever.

VG makes thicker smoke. I use a PG/VG 50/50 24mg nic mix with extra added menthol drops and get really good results. I need a deep throat hit, so I’m menthol all the way.

There is a learning curve to this thing, but you will figure it out. Once the switch starts to stick (the red light comes on without drawing on the pipe), it’s time for a new pipe. I go through about a pipe a month, but I’m a heavy user.

Don’t waste your money on the more expensive Ruyan E-Pipe. Mine died after 30 days.

Good luck!

Ed.

TreverT

Sep 10, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Thanks for all the tips! Though I have to say, the concept of going through a pipe a month is pretty horrifying to a traditional pipe smoker like myself. Is this kind of burn-through common with all ecig products, or just the 601? I'm speaking from my perspective as a tobacco pipe smoker, where I can buy a good quality pipe and expect it to last the rest of my life, unless I badly abuse it. I'd like to have the same with an epipe/ecig device - Something I can buy and keep, just occasionally changing out small parts on, instead of something I will be throwing away every month. Don't have the cash for that kind of expense - with a tobacco pipe, my monthly expense is about $15 max for a couple tins of good tobacco, and that's that.

Regarding the 601, it sounds like I'm not changing out the battery soon enough, for one. The green light flashes occasionally, but I had no idea what that meant. Not familiar with the blue foam you mention, though. All the cartridges that came with it have white foam in them. It also sounds like I was overfilling one difficult cart, too - had it topped pretty high. I found that it would barely puff with the cart in, but when I took the cart out, I could smoke it cart-free and get huge vapor, so I guess that's a pretty clear indicator that I was drowning my atty.

I don't see much mention of cleaning these things, which is a ritual in the traditional pipe world, so I tried a couple of things. Used a needle air gun at very low pressure to blow through the stem, which blew out a fair bit of accumulated moisture, and then blew down into the inlet hole in the bowl. Blew a LOT of moisture out the end of the shank, from down around the atty and under it. I wiped it off and looked it over and it seemed clean inside, so I dampened the atty again with a fresh cart and it's doing really well. Maybe if I can keep the accumulated moisture blown out from under the battery chamber, it will last a wee bit longer... Either that or I'll break it and have a new lesson for the "Don't Do" archives!

DallasEd

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I was pretty bummed out when my first 601 bit the dust after about two months. I wanted to get attached to it, but it wasn’t meant to be. The longest I’ve heard of one lasting is about three months. Some people drain them every night by placing them in a glass in the stem down position, but I never tried that. Read through the threads here, and you’ll pick up a lot of good information on this particular pipe. The main drawback is the switch sticking (I guess it gets gummed up with juice) and the fact that you can’t replace the atty without replacing the entire bowl. But the technology is new, so who knows what they might come up with next.

The cost is cheaper for me - I was smoking 2 ½ packs of cigarettes a day. At $5.00USD a pack, well, you do the math. Buying one $50 pipe and some juice each month is a huge savings for me.

Good Luck!

Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread