Carto Punching

Status
Not open for further replies.

vernhall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
United States
A moderately longtime (since the first of the year) vaper, but new to cartos and tanks and have a question about carto punching...

I ordered a couple cheaper tanks and some extra cartos that I thought were triple punched - they weren't... So I ordered a carto-punch tool from Phiniac and tried that to punch them... Twisted the little bugger until I felt it puncture the tank and then turned it one more rotation... Did this twice to punch new holes and just slightly enlarged the existing hole... Tried that carto in a tank and the carto casing was deformed enough that it wouldn't go back into the tank though it did fit back into the carto-punch tool just fine...

So, I tried again doing just a single new hole punch with the same enlargement of the existing hole in the carto... Same result - wouldn't fit into the tank...

Not wanting to waste any other cartos I thought it best to come here and ask what I'm doing wrong... From the time the punch hits the carto wall 4 turns does not punch a hole... FYO, it takes about 6 and a half turns to penetrate the wall...

Am I doing something wrong or do I have a defective punch?

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I get the deformation when using a carto punch or a saddle valve. It works a bit better for me if i space the holes evenly around the carto, but sometimes i still need to use a pair pliers to re-round the edges of the carto. On the bright side, the carto lasts for a good long while (~30ml of clear 100% PG liquid for me) so I don't have to go through the hassle all that often.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Quick question: Are the cartos you have already pre-punched? (laser-drilled) If so, don't punch the rest of your cartos and try using them in the tank. 95% of the time, the smaller laser-drilled holes are perfectly adequate for the majority of juices.

You've just found out why I don't recommend tool-punched cartos, especially for novices to cartotanks. Not only is carto-punching another skill for a novice to learn in addition to setting up the tank, it can be harmful to the tank itself.

Most of the carto punch tools inevitably deform the carto during the punching process. This often deforms the round tube into an oval shape, making it difficult to put them through the round hole in the tank's endcap. The end caps have rubber o-ring seals, and forcing the carto through them in the deformed shape can traumatize them.

O-rings seal the tank from liquid and air. They also keep the juice in the tank where its supposed to be. Last and not least, they keep the tank from sliding off of the cartomizer. So those little and fragile o-rings are pretty important.

My suggestion, if your remaining cartos are not already laser drilled is to just hold off and get some pre-punched (laser drilled) cartos. Put off hand-punching cartos for another time and place. If you have a local e-cig vendor B&M you can bring your tool, tank, and cartos and have one of the salesmen show you how to use the tool. Then check to see if the cartos will fit in the tank. If they won't, maybe your tool is a bad one.

Last edited:

BoilerRoom

Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
I had some of these non-holed cartos, since I didnt have a punch I just setup my drill press and carefully drilled them being sure not to go into the packing. A new sharp small drill bit on center of the carto does a better job in my opinion. Every punch I've seen adds some level of deformity. Not a big fan of the punch technique. Just make sure the holes are free of chips and burrs.

People still buy Carto's? ...I thought everything was novas, evod's, protanks and rebuildables in 2013...Cartos is so 2012 lol

I had a little trick where I would make a small indent with a saddle valve then use a small drill bit...I always found slotting with a dremel tool to be the best...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
...I always found slotting with a dremel tool to be the best...
Slotting with a dremel tool can leave sharp metal edges on the carto which can damage the o-rings, just as the deformed oval shape cause by a tool-punched carto can. It also can make small metal shavings in the carto where the carto's filler is.

Taking these factors into consideration, there is no reason not to use the laser-drilled cartos as they do not affect the o-rings. Using a tank tool like the Slap Yo Moma further eliminates any damage to the o-rings by protecting them from the sharp top edge of the carto when it is introduced into the end cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread