carto/tank question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caffeine7

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2013
Riverside, ca
So today I went to my b&m shop to try a cargo/tank setup. I got 2 tanks and a 5 pack of double punched cartos. From what I've read here the flavor and vapor production are supposed to be superior to other methods. 2 cartos filled and on my MVP2 I'm a bit disappointed. The flavor seems to be a bit less than from my protanks and other clearomizers. I've messed around with vv and vw up and down and its just not what I expected. Am I doing something wrong?

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
How are you priming the cartos? Can you describe how you're priming in as close to exact detail as possible? Carto tanks, in my opinion, do deliver superior flavor and vapor production, and most important, a consistent hit. But they do, however, have a minor learning curve. Newer users tackling carto tanks usually get discouraged before they learn to properly prime the cartomizer.

It's not difficult to learn at all. I'm paging Baditude here.

Read his blogs. The best way I can describe how to prime a carto for a tank is to drip 10-15 drops into the polyfill slowly, holding the carto at an angle, and avoiding the center air hole. Rotate the carto with each drop, and give each drop a second or two to soak in. After ten to fifteen drops, or whenever the liquid looks like it's slightly pooling up, flick it HARD like a thermometer. Continue this process until after a flick you see juice coming out of the little hole at the bottom of the carto. I used to count drops but that proved inconsistent. All juices are different in viscosity. Thicker juices take longer to prime. You must be patient with priming. A carto that is not sufficiently saturated is guaranteed to be toast as soon as you hit the fire button. And there's no going back after a carto dies.

Caffeine7

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2013
Riverside, ca
At the shop they showed me to use the rubber cap from the bottom, fill it about halfway and push the carto down slowly and purge the air by squeezing the rubber cap. once it looks saturated blow into a paper towel to clear the air tube. push the carto about 3/4 of the way into the tank and drip juice down the side of the tank until its close to the top of the carto. push the carto thru the tank all the way and put a few threads onto my device. then install the drip tip and let it sit for a few min and vape

I should also mention that the rate of production failures on cartos seems to be high. I find that 1 in 10 Boge cartos are "burnt" right out of the box. Same for SmokTech, less so that I get bad ones out of the box but for me, they tend to flood and not vape right more often than the Boge cartos.

My point here is that they are often bad right out of the box. Ikenvape is supposedly much better, but they are out of stock on the 35mm standard cartos I use so I have yet to try. I've decided to stick with Boge in the meantime, single (wide) punched as when they are good, they are the most consistent and seem to last longer for me than the SmokTech ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
Do you know what brand carto you have bought ? What ohm they are ? if they have the larger or the double lazer punched holes ? Is it a single coil or a double coil?

These are all important and you can get some more detailed answers if you know these things.

I prefer the higher ohms for versatility....single coil.....two lazer punced holes in mine. I use Ikenvape and also Smok without too many problems.

They should be superior to the protanks which at one time I had 7 in a rotation ( different juices in them and loved them until I learned about Cartos)...... Ive given my Protanks away....they are not bad mind you, I just like the Cartos better.

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
Yes. Priming correctly is crucial. There are many methods. Find the one that works best for you n

The other thing that my be going on, and this happens to me sometimes, is that what tasted great at the shop in whatever device they use for tasting tastes muted when you get it home and put it in a carto. What I have found is that it may be a question of the liquid needing to steep for a while.
The bottle they sell you may be new and fresh while the liquid in the taster may be weeks old.

Tapatalking on iPhone.
Join the CASAA.
Protect your Vaping Rights!

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
The primimng of your carto is going to be the single most important element of the taste and life of that carto. Be patient and make sure it is completely saturated befor vaping it. When you do think its full and sufficiently primed, do some short "pulls" or Vapes on it. If it doesnt vape great, set it doen for a bit and then try again. You just certain ly dont want to "burn" the filler material right out of the gate.

I put a toothpick in the center hole then fill up the top myself. I repeat filling it up until the juice is just slushy up top and will not accept anymore juice.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
Yes. Priming correctly is crucial. There are many methods. Find the one that works best for you n

The other thing that my be going on, and this happens to me sometimes, is that what tasted great at the shop in whatever device they use for tasting tastes muted when you get it home and put it in a carto. What I have found is that it may be a question of the liquid needing to steep for a while.
The bottle they sell you may be new and fresh while the liquid in the taster may be weeks old.

Tapatalking on iPhone.
Join the CASAA.
Protect your Vaping Rights!

This is a good point. Also if you were testing out of a 505 or 306 dripping atomizer, nothing tasts as good as vaping from one of those.

I have also had vape shops only put falvor in the testors and then when you like one, they go to the back and mix you up one with your nic selection, or the already made up stuff has nic in it and it WILL taste different......as in, may be not as good or muted.

These are some of the things we learn along the way.

Thepinfamily

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Virginia
The primimng of your carto is going to be the single most important element of the taste and life of that carto. Be patient and make sure it is completely saturated befor vaping it. When you do think its full and sufficiently primed, do some short "pulls" or Vapes on it. If it doesnt vape great, set it doen for a bit and then try again. You just certain ly dont want to "burn" the filler material right out of the gate.

I put a toothpick in the center hole then fill up the top myself. I repeat filling it up until the juice is just slushy up top and will not accept anymore juice.

Tooth pick huh? That's a good idea. Ill have to try that. I normally use a 2" needle cap. Just slide the needle between the steel and filler, then squeeze. I fill it up and let it sit. When its all soaked in I repeat the process. Then I let it set some more. Ideally I like to prime them completely and let them set over night. It sounds silly but every time I let them set overnight they seem to last forever and vape perfectly.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
Tooth pick huh? That's a good idea. Ill have to try that. I normally use a 2" needle cap. Just slide the needle between the steel and filler, then squeeze. I fill it up and let it sit. When its all soaked in I repeat the process. Then I let it set some more. Ideally I like to prime them completely and let them set over night. It sounds silly but every time I let them set overnight they seem to last forever and vape perfectly.

Your way is most likely the best way to do it. :toast: I just get in such a hurry, but really try not to.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
PBOB said:
Baditude is THE Answer Man on all things Carto and Battery. Every time I see a battery question come up on the forum, anywhere on the forum, Baditude has the answers and/corrections!
Iken from Ikenvape said:
Nice one! These are the infamous guides that has helped thousands.

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

Cartotank Help for a Noob

List of Vendors Selling Pre-Punched Cartomizers

Something Safe for Cinnamon & Citrus Flavors

IBTanked pyrex cartotanks: Review

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected?

Last edited:

Gatorman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
NC
I learned from Baditude as well. Take your time at the start but don't worry as you'll get faster and faster to where you can almost do it while watching tv or something. When you've got it completely primed blow on the carto really hard a few times to make sure it's not flooded. I always do that but it may be because I've never used a toothpick. After a few weeks you'll be able to prime a carto and fill a tank in less than 10 minutes. I also wash out the tanks with steaming hot water after they've been refilled 2 or 3 times. Practice makes perfect :)

Caffeine7

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2013
Riverside, ca
Thank you for all the replies. I had a pretty busy day so I wasn't able to check back sooner. The cartos are double punched and came individually packaged. I can't see a brand on them. 2.9 ohm. After sitting overnight either the flavor or my tongue got much better. I'll read the blogs and learn from the masters. I filled 2 last night since I only got 2 tanks. One was juice I've had for awhile and one was a bottle I got at the shop that they used to show me filling techniques but it's a juice I buy often, Five Pawns Bowden's mate its great especially if you used to smoke Marlboro Smooth. Almost identical flavor

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread