Cartomizers... When should I throw them out??

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylerrrae

Feb 22, 2012
Seattle
I started vaping probably about a month ago. My brother bought me a cheap e-cig and I loved it so much that less than a week later I ordered several liquids and some empty cartos. I've been switching between the 6 cartos I have with different flavors. I definitely can tell when they're low on liquid, I'm just not sure at all how to tell when the carto itself is garbage. Any suggestions??

dearme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Colorado
If the draw gets harder than you like, or it tastes funny, toss it. They generally last 5 to 7 days depending on your eliquid. If you have been using 6 for about 3 weeks, that would average about 3 1/2 days of use for each one. Your cartos could last much longer, especially if you are good about keeping them wet. I use a carto tank and the carto in it was 2 1/2 weeks old when I replaced it. I have never had a carto actually die on me.

tumbafox

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2010
bellerose NY
I keep mine until they die. To clean them I use a big syringe or turkey baster. Fill it with water and pressure flush the cartomizer from the open end several times. You may have to remove the top plug with a paperclip or something if your not already using a tip. The force of the water will quickly flush out gunk and residue.

Then I soak it overnight in a mix of alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. Boil for 15 minutes. Let it dry for a day or so and its usually ready to go with a new flavor without any residual taste of the previous flavor I may have used. Replace the plug or use a drip tip if you wish.

You can recycle cartomizers many times. Sometimes cartos die quick but I have had some last for weeks of regular use.

You can't predict when the coil will die.

You might also try buying an atomizer and using a Gotvapes pumpcart. Atomizers can last for months if well maintained and kept wet.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Lack or vapor and flavor, gets harder to draw.

I can get 2-3 weeks out of 2 cartos, alternating vaping them, using thin clear juices. If I was alternating 6 cartos I would expect to get 6-9 weeks out of them (less out of any I vaped more often). I can run about 15-20ml of thin clear liquid through a carto before it tastes feels like I want another.

However - I used to have that many cartos in play at once, but I found the least-used ones got a bit stale tasting. Now I have mostly settled into a pair of contrasting flavors, at least for out of the house.

theWayISshut

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2011
Peel Region, CA
Keep in mind also that there are juices that get burned easily and produce unsightly stains inside the carto, which makes it unusable after a day or so. The juice is supposed to just boil and not burn. Plain VG and PG are fantastic liquids. By themselves or in combo, your carto will last for a very long time. It's the added flavoring that makes your carto's life short. Unfortunately, without it the vape would not be satisfying.

yoshimitsu

Moved On
Mar 11, 2012
Florida
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Moved On

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
I had been cleaning my atomizers in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner using vodka as the liquid in the cleaner. Can I do this safely with cartomizers as well?
Yes you can I would rinse it with water and let it dry for a day or over night or heat it to dry it quicker. Now in my opinion cleaning carto's have not worked for me and I have tried many methods to clean them. Yes they are clean but never work like a new one because the cleaning will not clean the gunk off of the coil. If you don't believe it take one apart after you clean it and look at the coil. The only way I have seen is to do a dry burn of the coil and you can't do that with a standard cartomizers because it will burn the diaper and wicking materiel. When mine quit performing like they should, out they go and I use a new one. The are pretty cheap compared to smoking. For me they are not worth the time and effort to clean them, and like I said they never work like a new one again anyway.

andyman97

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Upstate NY, USA
Really depends on the juice. I've actually started keeping track on a spreadsheet to figure out how long my cartos last. If I get a burn taste, they go in the trash. If I lose flavor or vapor production, they go in the trash. I rotate through about 7-10 flavors in a given day. Some juices have been going in a carto for the past month. Others need to be changed out every 3-7 days. If you're vaping and you get a burned taste or lose vapor or flavor, that's about the time to scrap it.

taylerrrae

Feb 22, 2012
Seattle
Well all of my juices I got 5ml each (didn't want to fork over the money for a lot only to find I hated the flavor!) And none of the bottles are even half gone, so I've only gone through about 2ml in each carto! The liquids are actually very clear (some are just barely tinted). So I think I must have just not kept them wet enough. A couple flavors taste burnt and a couple dripped after I put 1 drop in. So those are definitely getting thrown away.
Since my batteries are starting to malfunction anyway, (not charging until I try plugging them in several times... I did get a really cheap brand, so no surprise) I just ordered a new kit with new blank cartos from the same site I ordered the cartos from last time. So I'll be sure to keep the wick wet this time and try cleaning them occasionally, see if it helps keep them working longer! If not, I guess it's time to look for somewhere else to buy cartos?

Thanks for the help everyone!!

senorita vicki

Mar 11, 2012
flagstaff
I totaly agree with Fox. Although I didnt go the whole 9 yards, I think I will from now on because then your getting any bacteria out also.. Some people cant afford to buy carts all the time or there waiting for a new order and when you need a cart you need a cart you know what I mean :) I clean mine with tap water and blow through them a couple times to get excess water out and let them dry over night.. Iv reused them many time over for 2 weeks. they not quite as good as new.. but they do work well enough, I think...Good Luck and
Happy Vaping.. newb here also.. Vicki

koticat

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2012
USA...the tiny state of SC
I only use 3 at a time and rotate them. I also use bud tanks and an ego-w clearomizer on my eGO. When the cartos get a hard draw, or taste burned, I throw them out. I have had one that just died on me.....and right after I had given it an injection of almost a ml. Talk abt ticked??? Lolololol hubby laughed like heck at me......I sat down with a pair of tweezers and yanked the poly out of that thing, then sat there with the condom in one hand and the poly in the other......and squeezed every bit of that juice out!!! Lol then i injected it into a new one.....how's that for no waste?? LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread