Cartos - what did I do wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSFA

Mar 1, 2013
Los Angeles
Currently using a Vivi Nova on a twist and was at the local shop today looking at big battery mods. (didn't buy one... yet) but I'd always wanted to try a carto. Had the guy explain how to prime it, assemble and fill. He actually did it for me, which I appreciated.

I'd put cartos on and taken them off before when trying juices in the store and never had a problem like I had tonight. I couldn't use the newly purchased and filled carto right away as my battery died in the store when I was trying juices, so had to wait until I charged the battery. Put it on the twist and at first, everything was fine. It was getting a burnt taste so dialed down the voltage until everything was good. I was really liking this thing and then I started to get gurgling and liquid in my mouth. Decided to take it off the twist and take a look at things, and while I'm removing it, the tank slides almost completely off, spilling all of the juice. Ok, I guess I did something wrong. Put it back together, refill it halfway and simply while handling it, the damn thing slides again, once again spilling all the juice. So much for a new bottle of juice I bought when I bought the carto...

Is this common, did I do something wrong, or did I buy a POS carto? It was 12 bucks. If these things are that temperamental I think I'll just stick with my Vivi.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Currently using a Vivi Nova on a twist and was at the local shop today looking at big battery mods. (didn't buy one... yet) but I'd always wanted to try a carto. Had the guy explain how to prime it, assemble and fill. He actually did it for me, which I appreciated.

I'd put cartos on and taken them off before when trying juices in the store and never had a problem like I had tonight. I couldn't use the newly purchased and filled carto right away as my battery died in the store when I was trying juices, so had to wait until I charged the battery. Put it on the twist and at first, everything was fine. It was getting a burnt taste so dialed down the voltage until everything was good. I was really liking this thing and then I started to get gurgling and liquid in my mouth. Decided to take it off the twist and take a look at things, and while I'm removing it, the tank slides almost completely off, spilling all of the juice. Ok, I guess I did something wrong. Put it back together, refill it halfway and simply while handling it, the damn thing slides again, once again spilling all the juice. So much for a new bottle of juice I bought when I bought the carto...

Is this common, did I do something wrong, or did I buy a POS carto? It was 12 bucks. If these things are that temperamental I think I'll just stick with my Vivi.

I'm confused. Was it a carto or a carto in a tank?

Last edited:

ImThatGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
California
What kind of cartomizer do you have? Smoktech, Smoktek, or Boge?
What resistance are the cartomizers?
What kind of tank do you have?

Gurgling = flooded carto = drawing too hard, voltage not high enough to heat the liquid fast enough
Cartomizer sliding from tank = bad o-rings on tank causing a "grip" from the tank to the cartomizer or you have cartomizers that are not flanged on a DCT tank

Hope that helps.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
What kind of cartomizer do you have? Smoktech, Smoktek, or Boge?
What resistance are the cartomizers?
What kind of tank do you have?

Gurgling = flooded carto = drawing too hard, voltage not high enough to heat the liquid fast enough
Cartomizer sliding from tank = bad o-rings on tank causing a "grip" from the tank to the cartomizer or you have cartomizers that are not flanged on a DCT tank

Hope that helps.

I've also had gurgling with a spent carto, since the juice keeps flowing and there isn't enough left to absorb it.

DSFA

Mar 1, 2013
Los Angeles
Ok, so maybe my terminology was wrong. It's a 6ml DCT tank. For whatever reason, even when it's screwed in on my twist, I can simply pull the tank off leaving (whatever it is that heats the juice is called - carto, cart, coil, atty - take your pick, I'm a noob, what the hell do I know) staying screwed into the twist. Thus resulting in juice leaking all over the place. I was successful in taking it off the first time and then simply handling it the tank slid up. The second time, I was trying to take my tip off before unscrewing it and the whole thing pulled off while it was still screwed in to the battery. The tip was stuck in the top I guess.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
If your talking about a tank with the replacement cartos that slide up through middle and top off with drip tip then they are assembled with caps and o rings. You need to handle the unit by the caps or the drip tip. Even screwing on and off. Remove it from battery and hold the thread end of carto with a snub nose pliers to slide it down to add juice while holding the end cap at bottom, not the clear tank piece. Of ourselves take rip tip off. It might be a normal tank. Sometimes the diameter is slightly off and the rubber I rings aren't as snug. They still never leak but you just to to keep hands off the tank. You might not need the players btw. I do because mine are pretty snug and it just gives me more control. I've lost juice too and in SURE others have. The damn learning curve fiddle stuff. The gurgling means too many holes or the juice or the juice was too thin for the number of holes punched in the carto. You can blow thru the drip tip end when the tank is off the battery pretty vigorously to clear it but most the time, not all the time, it gets flooded again. Try a thicker juice. The more you mess around the more fix it things you figure out. If its truely coming apart easily you should exchange it. Personally I went with one hole punch replacement cartos and if it didnt sty wet enough I d drip it periodically for blast of flavor and nicer vape. Give it a couple dys. It should come together. Hoe so. I have six tanks. Later if you get the hang of it you might end up with a glass tank. Like for some of the juices. And if you get the hang of it the results are better than the clearos. Lots of replacements carto choices. Shop through ikenvape and learn. Red more on ecf about carto/ tank vaping. Some really pretty setups can be put together

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Is it like this one?

510-dct-6ml.jpg

ETA: Whether it is or not, while the tank is designed to slide off the carto (or, more accurately, the carto slides out of the tank), it shouldn't come apart so easily. Although it's not a good idea to do this, you should be able to pick up the device by the tank and not have it slide off. I'd suggest taking it back.

Last edited:

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio

Never ever twist the tank itself!

It will most assuredly slip off of your cartomizer and spill juice everywhere.

This is hard to describe by typing and not showing, but when I unscrew my carto tanks from my batteries, I apply very slight downward pressure on the drip tip with the palm of my hand. I use muscle sensation to know how much force to apply. Then I slowly unscrew it, making sure the threads are unscrewing from the battery and I'm not merely yanking the tank off of it's bottom o-ring.

I've learned to always be gentle with carto tanks. Be careful never to screw the connector end in too tightly. Sorry you've lost so much juice. Carto tanks have a rather steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, they'll rock your socks off.

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Never ever twist the tank itself!

It will most assuredly slip off of your cartomizer and spill juice everywhere.

This is hard to describe by typing and not showing, but when I unscrew my carto tanks from my batteries, I apply very slight downward pressure on the drip tip with the palm of my hand. I use muscle sensation to know how much force to apply. Then I slowly unscrew it, making sure the threads are unscrewing from the battery and I'm not merely yanking the tank off of it's bottom o-ring.

I've learned to always be gentle with carto tanks. Be careful never to screw the connector end in too tightly. Sorry you've lost so much juice. Carto tanks have a rather steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, they'll rock your socks off.

I hold the bottom cap and twist the battery.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    You bought one of the slipperyist tanks out there. Their is much better available, including one the lock onto the carto.

Hold tank/drip tip and unscrew battery from it, don't pull the tank.

Hold drip tip and battery for drip tip removal, don't touch tank.

Clean your threads on battery well, so the carto doesn't stick.

OLDER71

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've tried the carto tanks, and I ended up using the ViVi Nova now almost exclusively. So far the ViVi novas have worked very well for Me. I had no love for the cartos, and the carto tanks are in that family:)

I have been entertaining thoughts of a ZAP, but they seem to be more maintenance than I would feel comfortable with. I have several heads for My ViVi Novas, and they are reall easy to change and clean:2c:

Last edited:

fourthrok

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 12, 2012
    Watertown, NY
    Some carto tanks do slip and slide really easily. Some of that can be remedied by using a drip tip with a wide bottom Stainless Steel Drip Tips From Smok Tech The "A" and "F" ones would be optimum.

To unscrew a slippery tank, I find that wrapping my palm around the whole thing with my fingers firmly around the tank and the drip tip too, I can ease the tank to unscrew.

Never pick up a slippery tank attached to a battery by the tank. Even picking it up by the drip tip can be risky unless the tip is really tight in the cartomizer.

But even a slippery tank can be a good one. They just require more attention.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread