Carts Melting 510

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiscoking13

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Burlington, WI
So I was vapping for a little while and went to top off my cart. I noticed when I did it that part of the tip of my cart was melted off. Is this common?? and should I be concerned that I inhaled burning plastic?

or what am I doing wrong when putting in my cart

thanks guys in advance, i've actually been enjoying having an e cig of late.

rightcoastvapor510

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2009
Ludlow, Vermont
I have actually had this happen to two of my carts so far, I immediately found that lining the cart up with the bridge stopped melting the cart, however, it seems that the filler is also affected, when I have been using a cart for awhile, I open it up and find that there is a melted divot in the center of my filler, but the filler needs to contact the bridge to wick properly correct?

NightShadow

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Tacoma, Washington
I know the main thing I saw on this suggested to align the cart with the bridge of the atty. You can search for a vid but I will try to explain:

The cart end that goes into the atty is rectangular, if you look at the bridge in the atty it is a C or U type of shape with the open end pointing down. Simply align the D shape of the cart end (closest letter to shape of actual cart end I think) so it goes around the shape of the bridge.

If you are not aligning it, the narrow sides of the D will come close or actually connect with the Bridge.

Also the flat tip carts seem to be thinner (the part that goes into the atty at any rate), and as such would likely melt faster than the bit thicker round ones. My round one below did melt also though. :(

Not all bridges are the same in an atty, I have High bridge types so this may be more of an issue with a big pointy bridge than the lower bridge types.

While speaking of att'y, not all are created equally for sure. Some from the same box here will run much hotter than others while others run a lot cooler. Obviously a hotter one would melt stuff easier :)

I can say that after trying to align and still having the issue, trimming a bit off the ends made the issue go away here for me.

I trimmed approx 1/8th inch off mine, and this works VERY well for me.
I used a box cutter. An exacto knife or other razor blade type is good also.
Dremel, hack saw, file etc not reccomended as its too much Cow Bell!

Top: stock 510 cart.
Bottom: trimmed 510 cart.
Right, the trimmed off section (with a burnt notch on top)
(We need Bandit to make better pics!)

Edit: After trimming I still get a wee divot in my filler (this is good as it can wick still) before trimming the divot was a lot deeper in the filler

And bandit, I just vape on mine and this happened after using the same cart and atty for a week. (yes I refilled/washed the filler etc) Only thing I can guess is long term heat exposure degraded the tip of the cart to the point it finally melted? Unless we has a professor of thermo dynamics around perhaps this simple explanation might have to do. I can assure you that after 25+ years of smoking it is NOT like I am taking 10-20 sec drags on it :D

Only other thought might be is an untrimmed cart is actually connecting with the base/bottom of the atty's well and thus conducting more heat.

I have only used the thin band high bridge atty's, I did get in some of the fat gold band style tw-titan atty's so will try them before long to see if they do the same or not.

Anyhow as this was of intrest to me I have been looking for posts of this nature and it seems to happen to more than a few people.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I've been using my 510 for about four months now and I have yet to melt a cartridge.
But I always align my bridge with the cartridge, and I use a new cartridge every few days.

One thought that comes to mind...

Sometimes the bridges are a bit off-center and leaning one way or the other.
This could, I suppose, possibly allow it to make contact with the cartridge.
Especially if you aren't bothering to align it.

Apparently the bridges can easily be pushed back to center again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread