Status
Not open for further replies.

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
OK, the only potential problem I can see with it is the line "On page 3, line 13, by deleting "(c)" and inserting "(b)" in lieu thereof." As it reads right now, line "(c)" while making no mention of ecigs, reads as follows: "(c)The use of any oral smoking device for the purpose of circumventing the prohibition of smoking in Section 2 of this Act."

HFA (1, S. Lee) - Amend to delete references to electronic cigarettes.

Even though this is filed to delete e-cigs references, (a) still looks like a problem.

(11) "Smoke" or "smoking" means:
(a) The inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying of any lighted or heated cigar, cigarette, hookah, pipe, plant, or any other material intended for inhalation, in any manner or any form;

Note the phrase "lighted or heated"

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Dear Representative Palumbo,

I’d like to encourage you to vote YES on HFA1(1, S. Lee) amendment to HB190 to exclude electronic cigs from the bill.

Additionally, language might be amended so as not to inadvertently include electronic cigarettes…

(a) The inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying of any lighted or heated cigar, cigarette, hookah, pipe, plant, or any other material intended for inhalation, in any manner or any form;

As of February 10th, 2013, I am smoke free for 2 years.

Thank you for consideration,
signature

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
HFA (1, S. Lee) - Amend to delete references to electronic cigarettes.

Even though this is filed to delete e-cigs references, (a) still looks like a problem.

Actually this whole definition is over broad. Any material intended for inhalation in any manner or form?

Fazed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
Actually this whole definition is over broad. Any material intended for inhalation in any manner or form?

Like air? We should ban indoor air use. Everyone who breathed air in 1850 is now dead. Breathing air has a 100% mortality rate. We must stop this killer from taking any more lives. Ban it now!

Sent from my over priced cellular communication device.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The Lexington Herald-Leader wrote an editorial opposing Rep. Stan Lee's amendment to remove e-cigs from HB 190
Include e-cigs in Ky. smoking ban | Editorial | Kentucky.com

Thanks for the heads up from Placebo Effect.

I sent the following letter to the editor at
Submit a letter to the editor for Lexington, KY | Lexington Herald-Leader

As a public health activist who has campaigned to ban smoking in workplaces for the past 25 years, I’m pleased that Herald-Leader editors have endorsed smokefree workplace legislation in Kentucky.

But your recent editorial was dead wrong in opposing Rep. Stan Lee’s critically important amendment to remove HB 190’s unwarranted and counterproductive ban on electronic cigarette (e-cigarette) use.

Unlike combustible cigarettes, e-cigarettes emit no hazardous tobacco smoke and pose no risks to nonusers. As such, there is no public health rationale to ban e-cigarette use in workplaces or public places.

E-cigarette use has never complicated enforcement of smokefree workplace laws, which your editorial falsely asserted, as even ...... can tell the difference between a burning cigarette and a smokefree e-cigarette.

In sharp contrast to other claims in your editorial, e-cigarettes pose no known health risks to users, but instead provide health benefits to smokers every time they use an e-cigarette instead of smoking.

Existing evidence indicates that e-cigarettes are >99 less hazardous than cigarettes, and have already helped millions of smokers quit and/or sharply reduce cigarette consumption.

Finally, Representative Lee’s amendment to remove e-cigarettes from HB 190 should be supported because the bill now falsely defines “smoking” as using a smokefree e-cigarette. Radically changing the definition of a word in a stealth attempt to ban the use of a lifesaving product is unethical and deceitful.

Bill Godshall is executive director of Smokefree Pennsylvania.

William T. Godshall, MPH
Executive Director
Smokefree Pennsylvania
1926 Monongahela Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15218
412-351-5880
smokefree@compuserve.com

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Thanks Bill !!
By the way ...
Loved your closing comment

Finally, Representative Lee’s amendment to remove e-cigarettes from HB 190 should be supported because the bill now falsely defines “smoking” as using a smokefree e-cigarette. Radically changing the definition of a word in a stealth attempt to ban the use of a lifesaving product is unethical and deceitful.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
It is extremely important for many Kentucky vapers to contact and urge their State Rep to support Rep. Stan Lee's amendment to exempt e-cigs from HB 190.

If Lee's amendment passes (and if the bill is enacted), there will be NO confusion whether the amended bill applies to e-cigs (i.e. it won't), as the intent of Lee's amendment (which is to eliminate e-cigs from the bill) would legally trump any discussion over the ambiguity of the definition of "smoking".

It would also help if lots of Kentucky vapers contact and thank Stan Lee for proposing his amendment, as he is now champioining the cause in KY.

Lee may or may not have an opportunity to introduce his filed amendment on the floor of the Kentucky House, as the only way Lee's filed amendment can be introduced is if the underlying bill (HB 190) is brought up for consideration by the Kentucky House, which will only occur if the sponsors think they have enough votes to get it approved.

Its important for Kentucky vapers to build a bond with Stan Lee, as we may need to ask him to file the same amendment to a nearly identical bill in future sessions of the Kentucky legislature. It's also possible that Lee's filing of the amendment this year may convince Ellen Hahn and sponsors of HB 190 to eliminate e-cigs from their bill next session.

Last edited:

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
BIG UPDATE

The Kentucky ban is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Again, they don't have the votes to pass it Statewide Kentucky smoking ban not likely to come to vote » Evansville Courier & Press

The Herald Leader also published Bill Godshall's letter to the editor on Sunday -- Letters to the editor/Smoking ban: Feb. 24 | Letters to the Editor | Kentucky.com

And they also published a letter from Rep. Stan Lee today -- Letters to the editor: Feb. 26 | Letters to the Editor | Kentucky.com

Don't include e-cigarettes under state smoking ban

The statewide smoking ban is being promoted as a health issue. Yet one item targeted by the ban is a health device used to help people stop smoking — e-cigarettes.

Many Kentuckians, including my own father, have used them to kick the habit, or at the least reduce their smoking, in a concerted effort to improve their health.

Moreover, e-cigarettes emit water vapor, and not any of the so-called secondhand smoke. To suggest, as a recent Herald-Leader editorial did, that this water vapor is a health risk is the height of hyperbole.

Finally, I hate to disappoint the editorial board, but I must have missed the bandwagon with the Marlboro Man. It was ordinary citizens who asked me to file the e-cigarette amendment to HB 190.

Rep. Stan Lee

Lexington

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Favorite passages from Rep. Stan Lee's letter:
If trained law enforcement can distinguish between a ......... joint and a cigarette, I am confident they can easily identify a real smoking cigarette from an e-cigarette.
Finally, I hate to disappoint the editorial board, but I must have missed the bandwagon with the Marlboro Man. It was ordinary citizens who asked me to file the e-cigarette amendment to HB 190.

Letters to the editor: Feb. 26 | Letters to the Editor | Kentucky.com

Thank God for elected officials who fight on the side of truth. Now if only we could get a few bureaucrats (who claim to be on the side of public health) to do the same.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
BIG UPDATE

The Kentucky ban is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Again, they don't have the votes to pass it Statewide Kentucky smoking ban not likely to come to vote » Evansville Courier & Press

The Herald Leader also published Bill Godshall's letter to the editor on Sunday -- Letters to the editor/Smoking ban: Feb. 24 | Letters to the Editor | Kentucky.com

And they also published a letter from Rep. Stan Lee today -- Letters to the editor: Feb. 26 | Letters to the Editor | Kentucky.com

Excellent letters! Too bad the comments had to go to the trolls! :glare:

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
With HB 190 very likely dead (i.e. the Democrat KY House Speaker referred it to Judiciary)
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/13RS/HB190.htm
Rep. Susan Westrom might consider excluding e-cigarettes from her smokefree workplace legislation in the future (if she truly wants to get her smoking ban bill enacted).

If Westrom wants to get her legislation approved by the KY House in the future (and then by the KY Senate), she knows that her legislation will be even further amended with exemptions (e.g. bars, clubs) and maybe with local preemption before being enacted into law. So it makes no sense for her to continue fighting an ideological battle over e-cigarettes.

But I suspect that e-cigarette prohibitionist Ellen Hahn may continue urging Westrom to keep the e-cigarette usage ban in future bills.

Now might not be the not the best time to approach Westrom (asking her to remove e-cigs from her future legislation), however, as she's probably still in mourning from this week's almost certain death of HB 190.

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Since there were just two amendments filed to HB 190 (Stan Lee's e-cig exemption, and Westrom's smoking lab exemption), it appears that Westrom's bill didn't and doesn't have nearly the level of support in the KY legislature that she, Hahn and the news media tried to generate.

Had opponents of HB 190 thought that the bill had any chance of being approved by the House, they would have filed amendments to the bill to exempt bars and clubs (and probably many other facilities) from the smoking ban, and probably would have filed an amendment to preempt local ordinances.

Also please note that Westrom's bill had only 4 cosponsors, indicating relatively little support for her bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread