Case Studies of Vapers Saving $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again, Vapesters! I am starting a new thread to highlight some of our actual Vaper client life insurance success stories. Names will be changed for obvious reasons but all else will be the glorious facts.

Case Study #1 Ron
Ron contacted me for a Life Policy Review, having taken out a plan 5 years ago when he was still smoking cigs. Being a family man, Ron protected his wife and kids with a $1mil policy. He really wanted a 20 Year Term, but had to cut the duration back to just 10 years to keep the cost down. Enter Latitude.

An evaluation of Ron's policy and the fact that he has not smoked cigarettes in over 1 year resulted in: eligibility for a brand new policy at NonSmoker rates, extension of the $1Mil coverage from 10 to 20 years AND a 10% savings versus his current payment!

Yes, that's right, essentially, double the coverage (duration) and still paying less than before! :shock:In fact, Ron is using his savings to help cover the premium on a new policy for his Vaper spouse! Another family protected and another Vaper getting the financial reward they deserve. Until next time....David

DebbieNY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
New York City
Thanks for the information, David! I must ask though, how do insurance companies handle vapers generally? I know many do blood tests and will test for the bi-product of nicotine, if someone claims that they are a non-smoker, but how can companies be sure that someone who claims to only vape nicotine actually does? I will NEVER smoke real cigarettes again, but do vape 6mg. Are there risks for someone like me to be lumped in with smokers because of the nicotine despite being a vaper? I need to get a life insurance policy soon, so I want to know what to expect.

Hi @DebbieNY! Thank you for your message. Great questions. Let me answer one by one. First of all, most insurance companies (but not all) treat Vapers just like Smokers and charge very high rates accordingly. At Latitude, we work with the handful of insurance carriers that are Vape friendly and offer NonSmoker rates to those who have not used cigarettes in the past year. So, our mission is to help Vapers obtain NonSmoker, and therefore vastly lower (up to 60% less) rates on life insurance. Next, you ask about how the company will know you are not smoking cigarettes still....part of the process of applying for life insurance is a physical exam which includes a blood test. The insurer will test for tobacco combustion markers like Thiocyanate that tell them you are just vaping and not smoking. Lastly, for this reason you will not be lumped in with smokers and will receive a NonSmoker rate so you can get the protection you want and can afford! You can get a general quote yourself on the web site www.latitudeinsurance.net/vaping, but I would highly recommend we talk so I can give you more detailed and personalized numbers. I hope to connect with you soon! Thank you.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
So insurance companies are on board but the FDA is still fighting?
I wish I lived in Europe.
Yup, it's a shocker isn't it? BUT, and this is why I'm so keen to help David get his message out to vapers - this is political. If the insurers are treating vapers as nonsmokers....

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Yup, it's a shocker isn't it? BUT, and this is why I'm so keen to help David get his message out to vapers - this is political. If the insurers are treating vapers as nonsmokers....
Some people get suspicious of motives.
Some people are just skeptical by nature to begin with.

My opinion?
I don't give a crap.

Working to change how insurance treats vapers is enormously important.
And anyone working towards that goal will get my support.

I don't have life insurance, as I don't need it.
But I sure as heck need someone fighting for my health insurance premiums.

Maybe some day...

JuiceJug

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2013
Canton,OH
I quit smoking almost 4 ,yrs ago, a few months back i wanted to change life ins. policys. I vape 3mg nic. did my physical, guess what ? They wanted smoking rates since nic was in my system, they knew I vaped. Went down to 0 nic, with a different company, that knew I vaped, and got non smoking life ins

JuiceJug

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2013
Canton,OH
Well, with zero nic (continine) in your system you probably passed their test and that's all they care about. Yes? No?
Yes. But whats funny is, both companies was told I vaped. you would think since they are paying for the physical and lab work, they would be more up front about nic use with vaping. This is a new area for the insurance companies

Yes. But whats funny is, both companies was told I vaped. you would think since they are paying for the physical and lab work, they would be more up front about nic use with vaping. This is a new area for the insurance companies
@JuiceJug Thanks for sharing your experience with your life insurance. Glad to hear you got a NonSmoker rate. You are absolutely right that even 9 plus years since the advent of vaping, insurance companies still are in the fog on how to deal with this practice. Standards vary from company to company, from one giving a NonSmoker rate to those who vape nic, and another only honoring that rate if an applicant vapes no nic. There can also be frequency of use criteria applied as well. My concern is that some vapers try to fool the system by abstaining from nic temporarily to get a better rate. Not only is this unnecessary if you are applying with the right company, it is very risky and can result in the policy being rescinded by the carrier at the moment of truth.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
My concern is that some vapers try to fool the system by abstaining from nic temporarily to get a better rate. Not only is this unnecessary if you are applying with the right company, it is very risky and can result in the policy being rescinded by the carrier at the moment of truth.
Yes indeed. Gambling with insurance makes no sense.
If you want to gamble, then you might as well just skip the insurance altogether.

As for me, I stopped using nicotine in January, but not because I wanted to.
I did it because I refuse to pay the extra $50/month extortion money for my health insurance.

The last thing I ever would have done is fool the test and then keep using nicotine.

I'll either pay the $50/month or stop using nicotine.
For now I'm doing the latter.

Yes indeed. Gambling with insurance makes no sense.
If you want to gamble, then you might as well just skip the insurance altogether.

As for me, I stopped using nicotine in January, but not because I wanted to.
I did it because I refuse to pay the extra $50/month extortion money for my health insurance.

The last thing I ever would have done is fool the test and then keep using nicotine.

I'll either pay the $50/month or stop using nicotine.
For now I'm doing the latter.
@DC2, smart, but hard choice to have to make. Unfortunately, at this time, there are no vape friendly health insurers to turn to. Certainly a situation we hope to see change.

This is an interesting option for vapers wanting life insurance. I'm seven years vaping with zero cigarettes. I got a new 10 year level term, 100K policy this past summer. As a 56 year old, I got a smokers rate of $97 a month. So, what are the names and ratings of the insurance companies that issue the policies? That is important.

@rwoodin, thanks for your comments! First of all, congrats on being smoke free for 7 years! That is fantastic. I don't see a counter in your signature, but you must have saved thousands of dollars just on cigarette costs alone since you quit. Now it is time for your Life insurance to give you similar and substantial financial reward for your healthy choice. Simply put, if you are paying tobacco rates, you are with the wrong carrier. The Vape friendly carriers we work with are household names with A+ ratings and stand ready to insure you for half your current rate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread