CBD what is it and how to use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Just so know lipids are fats/oils. Personally I would never vape fats/oils.
Inhaling oils is essentually inhaling small particles of fat and can cause lipoid pneumonia. Not an infection but a severe inflamation of the lungs. The lungs can't effectively clear the lipid particules and the patient literally suffocates due to the lack of oxygen. Antibiotics don't work, but if not too far advanced steroids can help. Patients usually require pulmonary assistance with an endotrachial tube and respirator.

Lipoid Pneumonia: Symptoms, Causes, Risks, and Treatment

Last edited:

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I read something about recommended daily dosage. The lowest level on the list was 20mg a day. That was for fibromyalgia and some other conditions. I think nerve pain was around 50mg a day, 200 or more for anxiety and epilepsy. It also said the absorption rate for sublingual use was 20%. 50% for vaping.

Vendors show concentration in mg's per bottle not mg/ml, with the exception of Wizard. So you have to do some arithmetic to figure out how much product you need per day.

20mg per day at 20% absorption means taking 100mg per day. The stuff I got was 500mg in a 30ml bottle. That would mean taking 6mls per day to get your dose of 20mg. Also means $13 a day. That's why I started looking at vaping it to get the 50% absorption rate. That brings it down to around $5 a day. It's the only thing that works for my wife's fibromyalgia so it's worth it to us.

The article I read said that a lot of people used it at a tiny fraction of the recommended dose and any observed benefits were probably placebo. They also said that the recommended dosages were highly speculative because of the lack of research, and suggested that people start low and use as much as they needed to get the benefits they wanted to see.

In other words it's all speculation. But at 20mg per day it works for my wife.
Correct, I am getting an extremely low dose at 3 drops of 100 mg. The store I use PennEz CBD Products LLC™ | Cannabis CBD gives this handy guide showing what you get using a dropper full- 100mg – 3.2mg per dropper, 250mg – 8.4mg per dropper, 500mg – 16.8mg per dropper, 750mg – 25.2mg per dropper, 1000mg – 33.2 per dropper, 1500mg – 50mg per dropper, 2000mg – 66.8mg per dropper

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Correct, I am getting an extremely low dose at 3 drops of 100 mg. The store I use PennEz CBD Products LLC™ | Cannabis CBD gives this handy guide showing what you get using a dropper full- 100mg – 3.2mg per dropper, 250mg – 8.4mg per dropper, 500mg – 16.8mg per dropper, 750mg – 25.2mg per dropper, 1000mg – 33.2 per dropper, 1500mg – 50mg per dropper, 2000mg – 66.8mg per dropper
Pennez does have vape liquid, they call it "oil", I would want a lot more info about lipids before using any CBD vape liquid "oil".

• Agree
Reactions: Fog n Vape

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Pennez does have vape liquid, they call it "oil", I would want a lot more info about lipids before using any CBD vape liquid "oil".

Right. That's where I'm hoping the assembled brains of ECF can figure this stuff out.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
I read something about recommended daily dosage. The lowest level on the list was 20mg a day. That was for fibromyalgia and some other conditions. I think nerve pain was around 50mg a day, 200 or more for anxiety and epilepsy. It also said the absorption rate for sublingual use was 20%. 50% for vaping.

Vendors show concentration in mg's per bottle not mg/ml, with the exception of Wizard. So you have to do some arithmetic to figure out how much product you need per day.

20mg per day at 20% absorption means taking 100mg per day. The stuff I got was 500mg in a 30ml bottle. That would mean taking 6mls per day to get your dose of 20mg. Also means $13 a day. That's why I started looking at vaping it to get the 50% absorption rate. That brings it down to around $5 a day. It's the only thing that works for my wife's fibromyalgia so it's worth it to us.

The article I read said that a lot of people used it at a tiny fraction of the recommended dose and any observed benefits were probably placebo. They also said that the recommended dosages were highly speculative because of the lack of research, and suggested that people start low and use as much as they needed to get the benefits they wanted to see.

In other words it's all speculation. But at 20mg per day it works for my wife.

That's wonderfuĺl that it is helping your wife with dealing with fibromyalgia. I also have fibromyalgia so this is good information. I know that smoking organic bud really helps me cope but since I'm legal to grow have no idea how much CBD I'm inhaling but have noticed a big difference in strains
Ty

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
This article pertains more to THC than CBD, but they may or may not overlap.

My perspective on the THC Vape health issues (cannabis lab director) : electronic_cigarette

This should be a sticky on the Cannabis forum.

Perplexing is some of the comments. A lot of these THC vapers know a lot less than I do and I don't use these products, or any cannabis products. Some of them appear to be involved in the cannabis industry and still know less than I do.

Two things are clear.

1. Vaping cannabis products should be avoided for now, as best practice.

2. Vapers of nic eliquid need to be vigilant of the possibility of dodgy ingredients entering the eliquid market in the future.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I've been using a 1000 mg concentrated isolate in 50/50 PG/VG which I then dilute out to 330 mg with no flavoring.
I was using a WPC (whole plant cannabinoid) oil orally but I found it took too long to take effect and was prohibitively expensive. I switched to a vapable isolate as it it MUCH faster acting AND much cheaper.
I suffer from chronic back pain and insomnia, CBD is a great medication for both these conditions.
My daughter suffers from insomnia and CFS ME, I treat her symptoms with CBD now too with some success.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
...Incidentally, I haven't seen a single mention of CBD vaping in the recent round of vaping lung horror stories.

I suspect the numbers of people vaping CBD at this time are relatively low compared to vaping other products. The lipid matter concerns me as well. Considering likely concentration, the impact is probably low, but over time...who knows?

• Agree
Reactions: englishmick

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I suspect the numbers of people vaping CBD at this time are relatively low compared to vaping other products. The lipid matter concerns me as well. Considering likely concentration, the impact is probably low, but over time...who knows?

There probably isn't a demand for black market CBD vapes anyway. Not many use it as you say, and it's easy to buy legally.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I've been using a 1000 mg concentrated isolate in 50/50 PG/VG which I then dilute out to 330 mg with no flavoring.
I was using a WPC (whole plant cannabinoid) oil orally but I found it took too long to take effect and was prohibitively expensive. I switched to a vapable isolate as it it MUCH faster acting AND much cheaper.
I suffer from chronic back pain and insomnia, CBD is a great medication for both these conditions.
My daughter suffers from insomnia and CFS ME, I treat her symptoms with CBD now too with some success.
Do you buy the isolate powder and mix your own liquid? If I was going to vape CBD that is what I would do.

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada

The vapable isolate is looking like the way I'll go. I get cbd in the organic bud I use but don't like driving after or smelling of cannabis when out and about, and waiting hours for medication to kick in doesn't work when pain levels are elevated.
After mixing the isolate do you vape it in a tank or dripper ? I'm thinking of useing in dripper so I don't have to dedicate a tank to CBD.
How many hits of your mix work or better how long would a 30ml bottle of cbd mix last you. I know everyones different just trying to get a rough idea of weekly/monthly cost.
Ty

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana

The vapable isolate is looking like the way I'll go. I get cbd in the organic bud I use but don't like driving after or smelling of cannabis when out and about, and waiting hours for medication to kick in doesn't work when pain levels are elevated.
After mixing the isolate do you vape it in a tank or dripper ? I'm thinking of useing in dripper so I don't have to dedicate a tank to CBD.
How many hits of your mix work or better how long would a 30ml bottle of cbd mix last you. I know everyones different just trying to get a rough idea of weekly/monthly cost.
Ty

I calculated $5 a day for a daily dose of 20mg. There's a large variation in price from vendors. A few let you buy in bulk which would reduce the price. You need to know what dosage you are aiming for to calculate your cost.

Reactions: Fog n Vape

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
For some who may have come to the CBD thread and not persued the Cannabis thread, I'm reposting copies of my posts there. I thank those who've seen this before for their tolerance.

-------- From Cannabis thread...

For what it is worth and to be following the forum, I'll offer a post.

I was an excessive recreational user in my college years (too many years of that). That began 50 years ago and went on for a 5 or 6 years. While such is offered as relatively benign, my experience was otherwise. So much for that.

I recently vaped <over time> near a gram of CBD Isolate mixed into VG with nicotine. I have rheumatoid arthritis and thought it might be useful for pains. The thought was that constant input at a relatively low level might be helpful. I was vaping about 50mg day of CBD and about 80 mg.day of nicotine.

It seemed to be helpful. However there were two concerns. One was that I was taking and changing other medicaitons at the time (and still do). I believe the CDB exacaberated a bit of disorientation and detachment (for lack of better terms) that may have been inherant in other medications. This was nothing like the 'active ingreedient' nor anywhere near as pronounced. Second and clearly in my case, CDB brought on fatigue. This is mentioned in literature 'for some people' quite a bit. I suspect if may be more than 'some people.'

While still in testing mode of my 1st gram, I purchased 5 more grams, an inexpensive, but sensitive scale and a cooking thermometer. It seems just about mandatory that mixing CBD requires melting it and mixing with heated VG. Others may have differing methods. In any event, after sensing the 'disorientation,' (sort of a mental thing) I did not continue with the CBD vaping. The 5 grams remains in its sealed container...the scale and the thermometer unused. I've moved on from medications I was taking at that time. I might go back at some time and do some more testing, but am hesitant to open the 5 grams per lessening its possible resale value. I think I have a couple of ml of the original in a bottle around somewhere.

I have no intention of getting into recreation use via vaping. That's not per the recent lung concerns, but rather enduring conditions in my psychiatric condition. As things are now, I'm 99% pain free and mostly free of other markers of rheumatoid arthritis. Thank goodness I'm off prednisone now and have lost 20 or more pounds that I had put on.

The CBD I used was from 'pure isolate.' If I experiment again, I might be interested in 'clean' broad spectrum powder to mix for vaping. If some have experience with both CBD isolate and broad spetrum powder, I'd like to hear about it and comparisons.

I haven't read all in this topic and hope I haven't violated any ECF protocols...I might find out when I click, "Post Reply." ; ) I'm not interested in arguement, just sharing experience and wanting to learn a bit.

--------

PS For what is it worth, I understand that CBD isolate is 'oil soluble,' and not water soluble. The mixture of CBD isolate and VG does not create a 'solution,' rather a 'suspension.' Others may know more or better.
--------

"IF" regulation...something along the lines of The Consumer Products Safety Commission.

--------

End of Posts Copied from Cannabis Thread.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Definitions:

Full Spectrum Powder - Distalite that includes all the goodies including THC

Board Spectrum Powder - Distalite similar to above without THC content (<0.3%)

CBD Isolate - a) Powder, usually 99%+ pure CBD.
b) Crystaline, similar to a), but melted and cooled into a crystaline form.

I think the Crystaline form of CBD Isolate can be reheated into a liquid as may be useful for mixing.
It might be that the Crystaline form might also be ground into a form similar to salt or pepper for adding to foods, etc.

This if from a few month's back research on my part...don't know of possible changes since then. As well, some sources are a bit loose with the termonology. That may be particularly true of 'Full Spectrum' and 'Broad Spectrum.'

All are welcome to comment on the definition I have offered or otherwise qualifty them.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Process I used to Create VG-CBD-Nicotine e-liquid

I'm going by memory of a few months back...maybe a little fuzzy on a couple of points...(about 2 1/2 weeks short of 71 y.o. and began to notice memory slippage starting about age 55).

I obtained a gram of CBD Powder for ~$25 shipped from Amazon (I like those Prime Perks!). The powder arrived in a small glass jar with a metal lid. I don't recall if there was an inner sealer that is common on lidded products.

After some research, I came up with a method to make e-liquid. The target mix was to be 33/50, mg CBD/Nic /ml. I've been flavorless for a while, so flavoring was not in the mix. The powder can be melted into a liquid at fairly low temperature. I heated 1/3 gram in a small glass container set in pan of water on my stove. I used either a WM or LO setting on my electric stove. At the same time, I heated a small amount of VG 100mg/ml Nicotine. I don't recall if I added the additional VG before after combining it with the CBD. The additional VG is to obtain the approximate nic level I use (50mg/ml in my case). I stirred well until small *imperfections in the mix were nearly invisible. I then vaped it as I normally vape throughout the day. My goal had been to obtain a constant, moderate level. Broad-brush, that would be about 50mg of CBD per day.

There were 3 instances of mixing with 1/3rd gram of CBD powder each time. On one batch, I added a small amount of Pure Grain Alcohol to ascertain if that helped the VG take up the CBD more readily. I don't recall any significant difference in the batches other than some alcohol flavor to that batch.

As my experimentation went on, I thought it was a 'good way to go' and planned on possibly continuing for my condition (see other posts above). I ordered 5 more grams from another source. At the time, I was taking other medications, but I recall perceiving that CBD vaping 'did' help with the pains I was experiencing at that time. I did notice significant fatigue with exertion and a slight disorientation...very minor on the latter. I can't make a specific attribution as to the source of the fatigue.

As the situation has evolved, medications have changed and perhaps other things and I'm essentially pain free, unless I've put in significant work with yard power tools and such...lawn mowing, maybe. I can't put my eye on it at the moment, but I have a small amount of e-liquid from those initial trails...maybe 3 mg. I'm tempted to explore again, perhaps spurred by the forum and interest of others. I had that 3 mg or so in hand last night. Interesting is that it has a slight 'blush' color. That may be from the heating...CBD, Nicotine, or both. I'm not sure my 3rd mix is entirely free of alcohol, if any, only trace. I quick whiff of the contents suggests some alcohol may remain. Sell asterisk below.

This evening I may empty an atomizer and vape in attempt to ascertain if 'fatigue' is experienced.
I have long thought that vaping might be an excellent way to receive some medications (political correctness aside). A lot has to be taken into a count. …topic for another discussion.

*Mixing the heated liquids, the powder pretty well disappears...other than some clear (meaning no color nor apparent particle) artifacts. These are barely noticeable. They appear as slight light diffractions in the liquid. I also seemed to notice a small bit of clinginess to the side of the polyethylene (? I don't know the different types of plastics well) bottle when it is shaken up. It doesn't seem to drain down the side quite the same as my ordinary VG/Nic mix. When I observed the bottle last night, I didn't notice the 'optic artifacts,' but didn't give it close scrutiny. Now that I've observed a bit closer, there may have been a very slight settling. In shaking the bottle, I again see the little artifacts...could be related to air and 'may' be making their way to the surface...dunno. In better light now, the 'blush' color looks more 'amber.' As well, it has been sitting at room temperature for an extended period and may have acquired a bit of oxidation. As far as if there is any suspension to recover from the e-liquid, I suppose that it could be poured through a (coffee?) filter and examined...but I have only 3 ml to play with at this time. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread