CE2-X Tank mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modrod.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2010
AZ, USA
Has anyone done one yet with the CE2-X? I was thinking about trying one as I think they would work great in a tank mod. I've noticed the main issue with wicking seems to be related to the stock tubes pinching the upper portion of the wick too much. Thus my thinking that these would be perfect for tank mods. I haven't tried the syringe mod yet but plan to soon.

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
Hi modrod - plenty of mods of course have been done on the Rev 4 CE2...I am not sure if the CE2-X has been placed in a tank mod yet...anyone?

Has anyone done one yet with the CE2-X? I was thinking about trying one as I think they would work great in a tank mod. I've noticed the main issue with wicking seems to be related to the stock tubes pinching the upper portion of the wick too much. Thus my thinking that these would be perfect for tank mods. I haven't tried the syringe mod yet but plan to soon.

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
I have a few homemade tanks for my clear XL CE2s that are similar to Shan's but a little different. I used a 12ml syringe and some 5/8" plumbing washers drilled out tho fit a 3ml BD syringe. These are not glued to the base, they just slip on to the base like the standard syringe tube mod.

I haven't put a CE2-X into one yet cuz they're still half full, but I don't see any reason they wouldn't work.

hairball...where have you seen the tanks for the clearos? I would be interested in seeing that.

Modrod.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2010
AZ, USA
I'm not really looking for instructions on how to make one. There's certainly plenty of how to's around here. I was just curious if anyone had done it yet and how it performed compared to the older style CE2's. I would have to assume they would perform better. I figured I'd ask in case there was anything different that needed to be done. I was thinking of giving it a go myself because I now have a HV option thanks to GV.

I have a few homemade tanks for my clear XL CE2s that are similar to Shan's but a little different. I used a 12ml syringe and some 5/8" plumbing washers drilled out tho fit a 3ml BD syringe. These are not glued to the base, they just slip on to the base like the standard syringe tube mod.

I haven't put a CE2-X into one yet cuz they're still half full, but I don't see any reason they wouldn't work.

hairball...where have you seen the tanks for the clearos? I would be interested in seeing that.
Well if you do try it, I'd be interested to hear your comparison.

Last edited:

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
Ok...so I stuffed one of these into one of my tanks and I have a few observations. I'm using the KR-808 2.6-2.8 ohm XL Clear Fluxos CE2-X with Gourmet Vapors Keoke Coffee 80pg/20vg.

1) What's that weird taste? When using my CE2 R4s, I can use them right out of the package with no weird taste, with the CE2-X I get a funky taste. With these being advertised as "Pre-Burned" I figured it would be ok to just fill and vape. It seems to be improving, but I think I will be rinsing and dry burning these before use in the future.

2) Why are the wicks shorter than the CE2 R4s? With the R4s in my tanks, the wicks would reach the bottom, these don't; they're about 1/16 inch too short. They seem to wick pretty good, but I'll see what happens when my juice level gets closer to the bottom.

3) Vapor production seems good, can't really say if it's that much better than the R4s.

This is just after about 15 minutes of use...I'll see how they do over time.

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
So...after steaming thru about 1.5-2 ml of juice in the tank, the coil was completely gunked up so I drained the tank, cleaned and dry burned the CE2-X. With the R4s I can usually get thru a full tank of my Keoke Coffee (about 5 ml) before the coil is that bad. The Keoke Coffee juice will gunk up a coil pretty good, but usually not that fast.

I really think there was something on the wicks. With the initial fill, there was definitely a funky taste from the very first draw. I've filled another tank with a different juice using the cleaned CE2-X and there is no funky taste. I'll have to wait and see how this holds up to my other juice.

Now my only complaint is the length of the wicks. They don't reach the bottom of the original tube, nor do they reach the bottom of my tanks. The wicks on the R4s will actually drape the loops on the bottom of my tanks, these are about 1/16 inch short.

SmokingRT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
YIPEE!!! Home at last
OK it must be said ..... I have been quite critical of the previous CE-2s. I disliked them enough that I gave the guts away....I am the furthest thing from a modder type person but they were to much work and that is just not for me. With that being said.... I have a GREAT experience with the CE-2X. I like that the fill ring is harder/firmer. When/if I feel compelled to remove it ,it comes out much easier and I find it easier to put back in. I actually vaped this one dry. It was filled with RY4 from GP I think and I was told it is 100% vg. Seemed to thin to be true but I trust the PIFr I got it from. It didn't even give the hint of a dry hit until it was about 2/3 empty and then I just started holding it horizontally and BOOM it worked great. Now then other than being out of RY4 and quite upset about that it was an excellent vape through and through. I can not wait to try the crystal in this .... do you think it would be ok to just add it to my dirty RY4 tank. I am a flavor ..... and I am hoping that the crystal will be strong enough for me but I thought maybe with a seasoned tube and coil I might be better off.

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
The GP VG almost has the thin consistency of PG...thanks, good report...

OK it must be said ..... I have been quite critical of the previous CE-2s. I disliked them enough that I gave the guts away....I am the furthest thing from a modder type person but they were to much work and that is just not for me. With that being said.... I have a GREAT experience with the CE-2X. I like that the fill ring is harder/firmer. When/if I feel compelled to remove it ,it comes out much easier and I find it easier to put back in. I actually vaped this one dry. It was filled with RY4 from GP I think and I was told it is 100% vg. Seemed to thin to be true but I trust the PIFr I got it from. It didn't even give the hint of a dry hit until it was about 2/3 empty and then I just started holding it horizontally and BOOM it worked great. Now then other than being out of RY4 and quite upset about that it was an excellent vape through and through. I can not wait to try the crystal in this .... do you think it would be ok to just add it to my dirty RY4 tank. I am a flavor ..... and I am hoping that the crystal will be strong enough for me but I thought maybe with a seasoned tube and coil I might be better off.

jenntek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Allegheny National Forest
I have a couple of CE2-XL's. I sized one up to a 10mL BD syringe. Looks massive! Maybe too long. Looks like it might old approx 6~7 mLs. But? for around the house? in the car? Maybe not a bad thing... when its done... I'll try to remember to post a pic and give a quick after thought.
The short or 'regular' CE2's work great in a tank - Gotta keep'em clean, or they taste gets bad. So, when you refill? just get rid of the old juice, give a quick rinse with H2o and a quick burn... and refill.
Oh... - a friend of mine sent me a txt this morning, stating that her batteries were crapping out on her after 5 or 6 draws. (she too has a tank) she cleaned out the tank mod and voila! batteries are back to normal... so... yes, weak dirty atomizers/cartomizers/tank mods can effect the battery performance... jus'sayin...
~J

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
Good info MJ, I appreciate the input. It has me thinking that I may just stick to a syringe mod and use the older CE2's for a tank.

Since cleaning and dry-burning, the CE2-X has been working well. I went thru approx 3ml in my tank with no issues. Near the end, I did have to roll it around to wet the wicks, but I have to do that with the R4s also.

I have a couple of CE2-XL's. I sized one up to a 10mL BD syringe. Looks massive! Maybe too long. Looks like it might old approx 6~7 mLs. But? for around the house? in the car? Maybe not a bad thing... when its done... I'll try to remember to post a pic and give a quick after thought.
The short or 'regular' CE2's work great in a tank - Gotta keep'em clean, or they taste gets bad. So, when you refill? just get rid of the old juice, give a quick rinse with H2o and a quick burn... and refill.
Oh... - a friend of mine sent me a txt this morning, stating that her batteries were crapping out on her after 5 or 6 draws. (she too has a tank) she cleaned out the tank mod and voila! batteries are back to normal... so... yes, weak dirty atomizers/cartomizers/tank mods can effect the battery performance... jus'sayin...
~J

The actual chamber of my tanks is about 1.2 inches long and completely full will hold about 6ml of juice. I rarely fill them all the way as I like to leave a little air space. I make it a point to rinse with hot H2O, allow to dry, and do a dry burn after every tank. With my darker juices that tend to gunk up the coil, I usually only fill the tank a little more than half way. You can definitely tell a drop off in performance with a gunked up coil, makes it seem like the battery is weak.

jenntek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Allegheny National Forest
I changed my mind.
I'm thinking... due to the fact that these are longer?
I'll be reverting to the bottle...

Easy to mod A+
Easy to fill A+
Flavor A+
Vapor production A+
Throat hit A+
Leaks *Not yet* A+

Now I can go a couple of days, and just swap a battery every night A+
Little maintenance K*I*S*S <------ Always.

bostontankmod.jpg

smiley.png

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
Thanks a lot MJ. The feedback is much appreciated. BTW, what are you using for your tanks? I'm going to be doing some 3ml syringe mods later tonight.

I used these for the body of the tank: Curved Tip Syringe -12 cc

And I used these for the end plugs: DANCO 3/8 in. Beveled Washers (10-Pack) These come in 3 outside diameter sizes (even though they are all labeled 3/8. The diameters are 5/8", 21/32", and 11/16") I used the 5/8" to fit the large syringe tubes. The center hole needs to be drilled/reamed out to fit snug on a BD 3ml syringe.

On the bottom, I have a piece of 3ml syringe that is about 1/16" longer than the thickness of the washer. On the top there is a piece of of 3ml syringe that is about 1/4"-3/8" longer than the thickness of the washer.

I'd post pictures if I can do it without having to use an image hosting site...is there any way to insert them directly into the post?

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
Here are some pictures. These have KR-808 CE2s. The one on the battery has a CE2-X, the others have R4s. As you can see, I left the tank tube long so they would offer a little support by fitting snug to the top of my mod. I also added some small notches at the bottom for air flow (I may need to enlarge the notches...sometimes they whistle if I hit it hard enough).

Attachments

• Tank001.JPG
    Tank001.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Tank003.JPG
    Tank003.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Tank002.JPG
    Tank002.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 37
Status
Not open for further replies.