Not open for further replies.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
It's hard to believe, but yesterday marked the two-year anniversary of the day I received my first e-cigarette . . . and in a few days, I'll be celebrating my two-year anniversary of being smoke-free. :wub:

For me, it's a rather momentous occasion. I was a so-called inveterate smoker, someone who was simply unable to quit successfully (long-term) using government-approved NRTs or smoking cessation drugs. I resigned myself to being a smoker, and then set about trying to reduce the number of cigarettes I was smoking since I was fast-approaching a 3-pack-a-day habit, and years of smoking were taking their toll.

I value the work CASAA does not just in terms of fighting bans, but also in getting accurate and truthful information to the public, government officials, and health care professionals. I value having a credible, responsible organization presenting the face of vaping to the general public. I value having an organization that embraces the concept of tobacco harm reduction.

In short, I value CASAA. And because I value CASAA, I want to show my support in a tangible way. Even though CASAA is run by volunteers, there are costs . . . costs to print and mail out legislative packets, costs to print those wonderful CASAA business cards that are shipped to members for only the cost of postage, costs to maintain a website, costs to . . . well, you get the idea. :blush:

To celebrate my anniversary, I have decided to make a modest contribution to CASAA each and every month during 2011. $25 a month isn't much, but I figure by the end of the year, I will have donated $300, and truthfully, that represents only a tiny fraction of what I've saved by not smoking.

I'm posting this not because I'm looking for any kudos . . . frankly, I should have done this a year ago. But I'm hoping that by posting about my pledge, it might encourage others to think about the importance of supporting an organization that represents the vaping community with such tireless dedication and competence. :wub:

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
JustJulie - Congrats and thanks for the great idea. I have been rewarding myself when I hit milstones and WHEN I hit the one year mark I will also do the same and donate to CASAA. Way to go two years is a big achievement and I was in the same boat as you for 28 years. Could not kick the smokes no matter what

Brewlady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
To celebrate my anniversary, I have decided to make a modest contribution to CASAA each and every month during 2011. $25 a month isn't much, but I figure by the end of the year, I will have donated $300, and truthfully, that represents only a tiny fraction of what I've saved by not smoking.

Thanks for posting this, Julie. The last pack of cigarettes I bought was $8.28. When you consider how much that is annually for a pack a day habit, investing $25 a month in CASAA is well worth it. Just sent in my donation, and I'll try to do the same each month.

:toast:

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Thanks for posting this, Julie. The last pack of cigarettes I bought was $8.28. When you consider how much that is annually for a pack a day habit, investing $25 a month in CASAA is well worth it. Just sent in my donation, and I'll try to do the same each month.

:toast:

$8.28 for a pack of cigarettes? Wow! My last pack was before the PACT act kicked in--I bought American Spirit cigarettes online for something around $50 a carton, and I thought that was insane. I hear cigarettes are now above $10 a pack in some areas. As a former 2+ pack a day smoker, I'm making out like a bandit now even when I buy premium liquids. :)

I like how you described your contribution as "investing" in CASAA, because that's exactly what it is . . . investing in an organization that is doing so much good for our community . . . and CASAA will be able to do so much more with an investment from the community, both in terms of our time and money.

I know finances are really tight for an awful lot of people right now. Seems like paychecks have shrunk (or disappeared), but costs of the basics keep going up. If someone can't afford to give a contribution of money, I hope they realize that a contribution of time is vitally important, too. :wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread