Sub Micron Filtering, Final Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
I have my previous research and notes spread out all over the internet but figured this would be another good place to share.

My experiment here regards using sub micron filtration of the concentrate in an attempt to lessen gunking , my hypothesis being that starches (amylose and amylopectin) from the leaf are the main culprits in the gunking (as opposed to simple sugars as this would mean we would see a huge difference between say virginias and burleys which we do not)

Below is the name of the juice followed by how many ml I was able to vape before gunking / burnt taste , then the coil used and finally where applicable the level of filtration. I used smok tfv4 coils. All of these were pg extractions - I have notes on wattage and ohm's if anyones interested but wanted to keep this post concise.

blacknote sample pack (mix of tobacco varieties) - 57ml , tfq4 coil, unknown filtration size

blend 11 (a blend I made - mostly burley and a little cavendish) - 46ml , tfq4 coil (used @ 4% concentration) , 2 micron filtration

blacknote cav only (sonata) - 53 ml , tf-clp2 coil , unknown filtration

mcclelland 2025 - 48ml , tf-clp2 coil, 2 micron filter

mcclelland 2025 (0.03 ohm) - 58ml , tf-clp2 oil, 0.03 micron filtration

kanger protanks 15ml (average for all juices) - 2 micron

I also did not notice any major flavor difference at sub micron filtration, YMMV - word per others on ECF is that flavor was diminished at even 0.5 micron filtration (perhaps different leaf would have different effect in this regard)

So , I was happy to see that the sub micron filtration did seem to have noticeable effect on coil longevity however, we can see from the above (comparison with older style coils - kanger protank in this instance) that the lions share of improvement comes not from better filtration but simply from better coil technology (presumably simply more surface area)

However, if you are vaping 15ml a day and don't want to be tied down to an RDA and dripping all the time or switching out wicking material an extra 5 or 10ml per coil before changing really does add up over time (buying bulk these smok coils are 4-5 dollars a piece)

The reason I used Smok tfv4 coils is that they simply happend to be in stock at a local b&m when I upgraded from my atlantis - I suspect similar results would follow from other newer setups.

I'd like to replicate the experiment to see if 0.015 micron and even just 0.5 micron has the same effect and perhaps what if any flavor difference I would see with other leaf varieties but for now i'll be moving on to some other projects.

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
Too bad I do not vape sub ohm, otherwise those coils would be ideal. I use regular coils, but sometimes the cotton goes first before the coil does....

They have coils in this line @ 1.5 ohm but like I said I think its more the surface area than anything (at least as far as the jump from 15ml with old kanger protank coils to 45+)

Reactions: Exchaner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread