Certain juice gunking coils faster than others

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandylee

Nov 7, 2013
dc
I tried searching on this topic, but total overload with not so relevant responses.

I'm about 9 months in, pretty much have "my" perfect set up. On 3 vendors juices its pretty spot on, tank after tank after tank until the coil goes.

However 2 of them (Ver River and NicoTik) I have serious problems with those juices gunking coils like 4 times faster than the other 3 vendors.

Ver River I can barely get one good tank out of it before it is gunk, crap, no crackle, burnt molasses. On NicoTik, I can get 2 tanks, still crackling nice and true, but the 2nd tank is turning nasty black very quick and starts to taste off.

I've tried all power settings etc, left the (new) coils to soak overnight, shake the buggary out of them, primer dry suck the tanks to get some juice in the coil proper, but alas its like molasses for those 2 vendors.

I notice they don't state their pg/vg ratio, but wonder whether its additives, or simply the ratio.

I just find it strange that I can get 3-4 tanks full of some juices still crackling nicely, where by V and N can barely get one tank done without it either being totally clogged or going black and gunky.

Any ideas?

baseballmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2013
SE PA
sincemylastcigarette.com
Yes certain flavors and sweeteners do a job on coils quicker than others, I don't know if you are interested in rebuilding, but for some juices if you like them enough, it might be something to look into, and a ton of info on ecf if you would be interested
What type of topper/tank are you currently using? People might be able to offer more suggestions to work well depending on what you're using currently.

Last edited:

Cool-breeze

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Upstate sc
Darker liquids and higher VG liquids tend to be tougher on the coils. Im not familiar with the specific liquids you mentioned so I have no idea if that applies to you. I'd suggest saving a pasta sauce or salsa jar. Clean it out and start tossing your duds in there. One day you may decide to rebuild them. I dislike rebuilding them but if I had a need I've got a nice little stash that I could.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I have several of the Nicoticket flavors and most kill my coil within a couple tanks and dry burning isn't an option for me.

It's the price we pay for excellent flavor and total goodness.

I build so for me it's no biggie and I like the fresh coil because the flavor is just outstanding. 10 wraps of 28 ga on a 2 mm mandrel give me 1.7 ohms. I have a dozen built specifically for the Virus.

lasttango

What would Freud say?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Wilmington, DE / Ithaca, NY
www.last.fm
Brands should label if suitable for dripping

...and the worthwhile vendors do! Avoid the vendors that neither tell you or that have an active community that tells you...
If a vendor doesn't have awareness of how their juice behaves/performs, then they really don't know what they're doing...

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Brands should label if suitable for dripping and our special coils builders only. Some are now starting to label tank crackers etc. Coil building is not for everybody and people should not be made to feel inferior if they can't build coils.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

stvan1, if someone can't rebuild they are far from inferior! I need some electrical work done and can't pull it off, I don't feel inferior I just don't have that skill set. The great thing about vaping is you still have a choice if you like the liquid, you can purchase coils and keep right on vaping. Right now I can't put my TV where I want it in my finished basement until I get my electrician.

If you like the juice than it may be worth the coils, or not but the greatest thing is the choice is yours.

And if you search the site you see a post from Kent talking about how some of his liquids are tough on coils. He also has the best way to vape each liquid on his site including steeping times. I believe he doesn't change the recipe because it he would have to sacrifice the flavor which imo is so damn good.

And lasttango, I can tell you from personal experience that Nicoticket has mixing their brand wired.

Last edited:

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
stvan1, if someone can't rebuild they are far from inferior!
I think what stvan1 meant was that non-rebuilders are buying highly-touted juices, having them gunk in their factory clearo heads, finding out one way or another that they work perfectly on certain builds, then feeling "inferior" because they don't know how to, can't, or don't want to rebuild. Sorry if I am wrong on this interpretation.

I can tell you from personal experience that Nicoticket has mixing their brand wired.
I don't think anyone is questioning this. Sometimes I think it may be impossible to achieve certain flavor profiles and intensity without also creating a coil gunker. That said, there are some really good juices out there that don't gunk. Also, the newly discovered application of rayon wicks reduces or eliminates gunking compared to cotton. I haven't tried any NT with rayon yet, but once I do I will post somewhere if I find out anything new.

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks all, with some more research it seems certain flavours within vendors have variable gunkiness too....seems I'm bound to go through coils faster, rather than drop some flavors that are so dang good.
You could always try some different clearomizers or a carto tank to see if the situation improves. Or look up rewicking with organic cotton for your particular device. They will probably still gunk up, but then you can at least go through fewer replacement heads (pull out spent cotton wick, rinse, dry burn, insert new cotton wick, reassemble). The only somewhat difficult part is pulling the factory wick out without damaging the flimsy coil. Oh yeah, you could also rinse and dry burn the factory wick but that only works a few times before the flavor permanently stays bad. Just some things to consider. I agree it is not worth giving up on a flavor you really like until the performance issues become too much of a burden.

Last edited:

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Thanks all, with some more research it seems certain flavours within vendors have variable gunkiness too....seems I'm bound to go through coils faster, rather than drop some flavors that are so dang good.

Agreed! I tried to stay away from some that nuked my coils quickly but I couldn't do it. And to make it worse I just added another flavor that will do the same thing. If I can get through a couple days on my R91 with one of the juices I'm happy.

Good luck finding your sweet spot when it comes to coils.

stvan1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2014
Grand Rapids MI USA
I buy a lot of premade coils, some like stainless mesh I make myself. I still waste a couple trying to get them in the tiny post holes. My new dripper has large post holes and is very large for a 26650 battery mech mod, that one is easier even though it is a dual coil.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread