Challenge: KR808D-1 vs 510

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaBloog

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
Fontana, CA
Guess ya'll might call me GrumpyBloog today - all very well intentioned though.

I'm a little miffed at the 510 users claiming that there is no better and constantly hi-jacking threads that are KR808D-1 specific. And then, having the BigBatt boys and girls anouncing that they have the best. Ya'll - nothing could be more confusing to a noob when presented with 7 or 8 options that have all worked in their own respective ways - and - have succeeded with similar results: to put an end to analog use.

To this end - I would like to know that my recommendations are taken seriously - I sit in the 808 camp because, quite simply, this tech got me, my wife, my friends, and friends of friends to quit analogs althogether - and this camp is growing rapidly. I made this decision because, after reading a substantial number of threads on this forum, people were generally NOT pleased with the battery life of the 510s - the same people that continue to recommend 510s to noobs. I don't get it -

To this end, I offer the following challenge: I'll put $30 on the line - today to purchase the BEST 510 setup considering the following factors:

1) This MUST be and ANALOG-SIZED device - no big batt, mufflers, bullets, or wood box contraptions- the intent is to deliver a complete analog experience;

2) The carto, atty, whatever - must be easy to use out of the box - i.e., I want to be able to sit down for at least 2-3 hours with this thing between my fingers and vape it like an analog without having to re-juice, swap cartos, swap attys, and without charging.

3) I use BwB juice which is a 70/30 blend - if you think there is a better juice out there, something that may perform better on a 510 - feel free to send me some - I'll PM you my addy - I won't buy more juice.

Simple conditions: tell me what the best kit is, where to get one - and I promise an HONEST side-by-side review -

Papa "Grumpy" Bloog

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
And I am in the camp of use whatever floats your boat. If you like KR808 and you are not smoking more power to you and happy vapes. If you are using 510 penstyle, eGo, Riva or Mods and it is doing the same then all is well. Most people give reccomendations on things that work for them. A few have tried both KR808 and 510 but most find what works for them and they stick with it. It just may be what you are seeing is a greater number of people have bought 510 vs. KR808. Anyway why not use that $30 and buy yourself something cool.

PapaBloog

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
Fontana, CA
And I am in the camp of use whatever floats your boat.

Couldn't agree with you more - but, once again - the principle point of the discussion is to do a comparison of analog-sized devices - side-by-side; and to possibly steer some new vapers away from cost and disappointment - as I have heard repeatedly from 510 users. I've got $30 extra lying around - and would be willing to put it on the line for someone who doesn't have the funds to spend on what could become a disappointment.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
Couldn't agree with you more - but, once again - the principle point of the discussion is to do a comparison of analog-sized devices - side-by-side; and to possibly steer some new vapers away from cost and disappointment - as I have heard repeatedly from 510 users. I've got $30 extra lying around - and would be willing to put it on the line for someone who doesn't have the funds to spend on what could become a disappointment.

That is awefully nice of you. Try a standard 510 then with some boge softcap cartos. They can be had at Liberty flights. That should give you a nice side by side comparison. I am willing to bet the KR808 batt life will outlast the standard 510 (unless you get the mega batt which is still a penstyle but about 3/4" longer). Go with a manual batt though since the autos have a cutout and the pull can be dissapointing.

keyzygirl

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Key West,Fl.
You can compare an 808 XL batt and cartos to a 510 mega batt and cartos.They are about the same.This is an old idea,Like beating a dead horse.It started before the 510s had cartos.So it was cartos or drip.The 510 has come a long way in the past year.They are more compatible with mods and tanks and everything.

Im an 808 user,have been for over a year.I just prefer 808s.

jtpjc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
Well Papa, recently I have been reconsidering the 510 and the 808. These days, I use mostly my Riva's and Leo's, but when I want to use a cig lookalike, I choose one of my 808's, rather than a 510. I think it tastes better. I think the 808 is a bit underestimated. It really is quite a nice little reliable eciggie. No big clouds of vapor, but neither has the 510 and the taste makes up for it.

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
I would stear somone towards a Kr8 if they are looking for what you are looking for. However, not everone is looking for that.

I have owned both models and they both have advantages. But for me I simply prefered the 510 because the hit I got while dripping was better than anything I ever got out of the 808.

I bought my first 510 kit from Cignot they are a great company with fast and friendly shipping.

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA

I will say this, if you are going to give it a fair shot, get a 510 manual and make sure you have used it long enough to break in the atty and then start dripping and take the time to get it down. Anything short of that isn't really a true test. If you do that and still say that you get as good of a hit off the kr8 I will be surprized. The problem is, if you do that, you might no longer be happy with the hits you are getting from your kr8. So beware of what you wish for you just might get it. This is $5 over your target price but it's a real 510 joye and not a knock off. You will get it fast and it is as good of a product that you will find. To keep you vaping just take one battery off the charger and put the used one right back on. You can still vape all day long.

https://www.cignot.com/product_p/kit-510-nbx.htm

Good luck.

Last edited:

alisab

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2010
WI
I have been dripping into my 808's for over a month - they last a long time that way too. I never got the hang of refilling the cartos so I saw and followed a carto mod that takes the filler out and leaves a small sleeve on the bridge. I directly drip on that 2 or 3 drops, just like I do with 510's and 801's. It's hard to like a carto with filling or refilling after you directly drip the flavor/taste/TH is just not as good. The new CE2 R4 configuration (no filler, liquid to wick directly) is a great exception - it tastes like dripping. But my main point is you can even drip with a 808! Oh, and when I started dripping 808's it was on automatic batteries - yes carefully but with 2 to 3 drops, right on the sleeve I haven't had a leak and I have never ruined a battery.

Buzzy

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2010
Chicago
Dear PapaBloog:
I think that I understand the intent of your comparison, and I certainly understand the distaste for excessive fandom (ok, so which football team do you favor??) but I'm not sure that your criteria can be met and yet make for a matching experience for the comparison. The 510 was made to be a three piece unit, and though there are cartomizers for it, they are a response to the KR8 and not part of the original design. So, to compare them properly - should it be done with 901 atties and carts on the KR8 and 510 atties and carts on the 510? Or should it be done using the 510 with the newer cartomizers for a 510, and likewise with the KR8? Or with the 510 three piece and the KR8 two piece as in the original design of each? In that case the KR8 will indeed win hands down imho on conveniece, but on taste and th? Hm. Depends.

Then too, which cartos or atties should be used? Standard resistance or low resistance? The KR8 is a 3.7 volt, and the 510 is 3.2. But the vaping experience is directly related to wattage not voltage. So it is the combination of the resistance of the atty or carto and the voltage of the battery that produces the amount of vapor, and affects taste and throat hit. Should they be wattage matched by using cartos or atties of different resistances to produce comparable wattage? And then too, which brand of cartos, or atomizers? That does make a difference, but opinions are all over the place on which is better, for both the KR8 and the 510.

Personally, my feeling is - just enjoy and make use of whatever works best for you and ignore any excessive enthusiasms from either camp.

Having tried KR8s and 901s and 510s and 801s, and Leo's - atty/carts and cartomizers - low resistance and standard - sorta cig sized and larger battery mods - I know which I prefer and why. But I am also smart enough to know that the same is not going to be true for others at all.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Dear PapaBloog:
Personally, my feeling is - just enjoy and make use of whatever works best for you and ignore any excessive enthusiasms from either camp.

Having tried KR8s and 901s and 510s and 801s, and Leo's - atty/carts and cartomizers - low resistance and standard - sorta cig sized and larger battery mods - I know which I prefer and why. But I am also smart enough to know that the same is not going to be true for others at all.

+1.

Enjoy it if you like it. Let others experiment and make their own decisions. There's no other way. Just because I like a certain PV doesn't mean someone else will like it. :)

Happy vaping.

PapaBloog

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
Fontana, CA
{excerpt from another thread} So with that in mind Kr808, 510, 901 are the real choices for smaller cig sized PV's that you can get for reasonable prices, ...

Thanks for that! Exactly what I was looking for! So, with this information, if we were to 'get the word out' and point noobs in the right direction with the sole aim of successfully transitioning analog users to e-cigs - (barring those that take a leap of faith directly into the MOD arena) - perhaps we can make a project of this - create a sticky thread that compares these three analog-like candidates that shows the pros and cons of each model in terms of battery life, maintenance, and other factors so that noobs are not presented with so many differing opinions?

Because of all the product on the market (most of which is pretty shoddy), I personally found it very hard to wade through the 30 or so recommendations I was hit with until I found my PV of choice. I would very much like to contribute to the community - not detract from it - by introducing known quality product, regardless of the type, in the form of a fact sheet to encourage the development of an informed decision. Different strokes for different folks I get. But without knowing or understanding the strokes, --

Having already introduced so many to e-cig technology - and, being the first in my community (so it seems at times) I have inherited the role as the "e-cig help desk". Certainly, not what I was expecting, just happened. Taking up this mantle - and watching threads introduce product that clearly is aimed at taking advantage of the consumer (Like "White Cloud" e-cigs -- see my other thread on this vendor) - it's really hard to decipher the good from the bad and our opinions, as good as they may be, are lost in the clutter.

Anyway, just looking for some unification of our recommendations to make it easier to help those in real need.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
I have to say it depends. I can put a 3.0 ohm CE2 carto on a KR808 XL then put a 2.6 ohm on an ego the taste and hit will be the about same. In other words if the wattage or power used is about the same the hit and smoke are about equal.

It's the atty or carto that matters as long as the battery is big enough to handle the needed power. I don't see why it would matter where the electricity came from.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Anyway, just looking for some unification of our recommendations to make it easier to help those in real need.

Have you visited the ECF library? Tons of of info about different PVs and the cons and pros of each. Good place to start.

Have you watched MistressNomad's videos? Very helpful. I really like her series about E-cigs for broke people (Parts 1-6).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread