champix

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPappa

Ultra Member
Sep 21, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
not knowing anything about this pill,except what i read, i would like to find out if it is as bad as they say. i have a neice who is going to start a course of these pills,and im a bit worried about it all.
You're probably right to be at least a little worried. I would just say to keep an eye on things.

It's funny how that's FDA approved, but the safer and more successful option of e-cigarettes is not.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
My wife, who has years and years pharmacy experience, told me all kinds of stuff about those pills. Some people who take it have some real issues from it. Mostly what she hears about is weird dreams, intense nightmares, bad thoughts and depression. Suicide attempts are not common, but are a possibility. Then there are some people who take it with no ill effects at all.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I have known two people who used it. One could be a commercial for the stuff, she got off cigarettes without any side effects. The other about went nuts using it, I don't recall how long it took for the effects to begin or how long they lasted after ceasing [but they did go away]. Weird stuff, it was the only method of quitting that I did not try - only vaping was effective for me.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I’ve known some who did alright with it, quit for a time but went back to smoking. And some who didn’t do well at all. I used it for two days and it affected me so negatively I threw the rest out.

All anecdotal, sure. But I would suggest anyone who takes it should not be left alone until you’re sure they’re going to tolerate it. And don’t get your hopes up about how well it’ll work.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I know several people it worked for very well...with no, or only minimal, side effects while taking it. However, a few others had the horrible nightmares, and/or disturbing thoughts during the day, and yes...even serious thoughts and plans of suicide. Those side effects led them to quit taking it, before it was too late.

I got an RX filled for it years ago, but after talking to more of the people above...I said "no way I'm taking that", and flushed them before taking any. vaping worked like a charm with absolutely none of the side effects above.

Koolkiz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
United States
Watch out for the side effects especially with older people. I had a patient once who was elderly tried to commit suicide in a rehab unit while taking this medication. Not cool at all. In addition, watch out for interactions with other medications and past mental health status. Just my two cents.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
My wife used Chantix. She had to stop after a week because of nightmares. She did actually stop smoking, but she still had the urge to smoke after only using it for a week. She started vaping then and got through it.

Seems like it can be effective, but some people get side effects too serious to tolerate. I don't know what percentage of users get those side effects.

BigPappa

Ultra Member
Sep 21, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
Watch out for the side effects especially with older people. I had a patient once who was elderly tried to commit suicide in a rehab unit while taking this medication. Not cool at all. In addition, watch out for interactions with other medications and past mental health status. Just my two cents.
Teens also tend to have more issues with those types of drugs as well. Not sure how old this person's niece is though.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
not knowing anything about this pill,except what i read, i would like to find out if it is as bad as they say. i have a neice who is going to start a course of these pills,and im a bit worried about it all.

I would think Long and Hard before you consider using that :censored:.

And even as one who tell's people to Try just about Anything to Quit Smoking, I would NEVER Recommend that they try Chantix/Champix.

From another thread...

Hi Jasjas. Welcome to the ECF.

Good to Hear that e-Cigarettes are Helping You. They helped me Kick a 20 Year Pack-a-Day Habit.

I have known 3 People who have used Chantix.

One tried it and it Didn't Work.
One tried it and Cut Down. But felt Strange and Stopped. And Started Smoking Again.
One tried it and after 4 Days decided that Jumping out of a 7th Story Window at 3:30am was a Good Idea.

Thank God she woke up her boyfriend as she started to climb out the widow. And he was able to Stop Her.

Vaping after disaster with champix

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
thanks for your responses folks, my niece is 38 and i still cant talk her out of getting them,so i guess i will carry on being nervous about all this whilst still trying to talk her out of it. she tried vaping but it didnt work for her.

Perhaps you could sent your Niece a Link to this thread and some of the Other Threads here on the ECF.

After reading them, if She still wants to try Chantix/Champix, well... at least you Lead the Horse to the Water.

Reactions: stols001

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    A friend of mine started using it a couple months ago. She said it started working quickly to get rid of the 'urge'. She stopped using it after a few weeks and I don't know and didn't ask for any details. All I know is she is suckin' on Pall Malls again, and she believes main stream media more than what I have to say about vaping.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Champix/Chantix can very well be a bad idea. As BP said, keep an eye on her.

Sorry of that scares you...that was my intention, though.

All I know is she is suckin' on Pall Malls again, and she believes main stream media more than what I have to say about vaping.

So she's one of those smokers that thinks "I don't want to die from lung illness so I'll just stick to smoking". LOL. She is your average smoker, believe it or not.

I said this a while ago in another thread, but I steer clear of smokers when I vape because not only do they stink, they usually like to tell me how bad vaping is for me. :lol: No offense to your friend, but smokers aren't that bright.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    IDK man if it was Chantix (every single doc I asked said, "Oh Anna, keep smoking you will live longer." This was even as the oxygen tank approached, but I am Speshul so they really can't give it to me.

I have heard things all over the map and honestly, while bizarre questions may arise form time to time here about vaping, well, they are usually either a) trolls b) allergic to an ingredient and should see a doc to get sorted out, or c) sort of, uh, succeptible to ascribing the magic of quitting to like the start of vaping as in "not too bright."

Vaping did not make me instantly feel better, I am PG sensitive, and also, I had pneumonia for 18 months before hand, I did not EXPECT to feel instantly better .I had w/d effects, I felt horrible generally, but the effects were CONSISTENT and sort of slowly went away. I am having the worst week ever, I am a stress smoker, and I have not smoked one single cigarette. I don't even really want to.

So Chantix is kind of like one of those horrid jack in the boxes, you don't quite know if you are gonna get the nice face, or the one that says "Kill yourself and your family." I knew a dude who attempted to do that.

The only way vaping can make people suicidal is if the FDA has their way with it. Then we will start to see vaping suck for many folks. Otherwise, it's kinda like you do it or you don't and it seems easier for some than others, but it CAN be done, with the right motivation.

IDK how old your nieoe is but if she has yet to feel any significant health effects from smoking, well, yes, maybe vaping would be a good transition instead.

Vaping helps you stay stopped, if you keep vaping (even decreasing nic over time, if so desired.)

No one should really be taking Chantix forever and it's not this magic pill that turns you into a lovable, wrinkle free granny, freed also FOREVER from the desire for nicotine. I mean.... It MAY work for SOME people while they are taking it, but if they are committed smokers after like, a stop, that old urge may return.

It's not really any kind of "treatment." It's sort of a "drug." A drug that has side effects and non ONLY psychiatric ones and it may help with the initial quit phase....

But I think it was Mark Twain who said, "Quitting smoking is easy, I do it countless times a day."

It's staying quit that is the issue and I don't believe the FDA is EVEN collecting data about that. FDA trials are 12 weeks long, so everyone is still gulping their Chantix and raving about having no urge to quit.

It doesn't wipe away the urge to quit PERMANENTLY though, kind of like the difference between painting over a wall,, and demolishing it completely.

Do a small minority of Chantix users quit long term? Probably.

Is it the majority of them? I doubt it. And certainly not enough to justify the risks

Anna

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    I had a very close and good friend start using it and within 2 weeks of taking it he suffered from the side effects, the very worst side effect (suicide) got the best of him... my opinion ( and it is very biased), the stuff should be taken off the market... nasty stuff.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Chantix (every single doc I asked said, "Oh Anna, keep smoking you will live longer."

I had a doctor forbid me to take Chantix, too. He told me that I would have to find another doctor to prescribe it if I decided I wanted to try it.

When I asked why, he said it wasn't worth the risks when you consider most smokers live to be elderly anyway, even if their health isn't as good as it could be if they didn't smoke.

That was before my town got taken over by Big Medicine and all the doctors were independent. Now, literally every doctor is owned by one big globally "renowned" medical network in my area.

• Optimistic
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread